U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,183,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Take a page from the liberal playbook and try to understand what your child has done to make the bullies feel the need to beat your child.
Nothing wrong with trying to understand you enemy. It can go a long way in psychological warfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,846,839 times
uh, do what my parents did. Clean up my bloody mess and then send me outside to play. I think it has gotten way out of hand on both ends (bullys end and the bullied end) because we have made it an issue. Bullying has always been around but it wasn't until we started to try to "address" it that the bullying got worse.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:05 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Sue them. My father taught me as a kid to fight back and beat the crap out of them if the teacher wouldn't stop them. Then the school gave me more punishment than the bully, saying "it's wrong to defend yourself." That only encouraged the bullies and created a helplessness mindset (though that leftist nonsense didn't work on me).

As a teacher I never tolerated bullying. But there was also little I could do other than give a detention or send them to the principal. Neither was effective in the least against them. They didn't care and they had no shame either.

Glad I'm out of the education business. Bullying is one of the few incidents where I'd support corporal punishment in schools. It's about all that works.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,370,656 times
I would take matters in your own hands and would pull my kid out of that school. There are a lot of schooling options now a days.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM

14,149 posts, read 11,579,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
public school, its hard, we've all been there, either the bully or the bullied, we all have our chance to shine as the allstar or fail the test, get dumped by girl, and score a date to the prom.

so, if you child came home with a bloody nose from bullies at school, what would be your solution to this? teach him to fight?
I never had to teach my son to fight. He is small in stature, just a lil' dude,but he has grown up with ranch life. Rank horses, knot headed cattle etc. LMAO< some clown threatening him with a bloody nose for not forking over his lunch money does not spook him much. His first go with a bully (a kid a year older) ended up with an expensive lesson in underestimating your victim for the would be bullier.So, in this issue, I am fortunate. He has also been raised to not tolerate being witness to someone being bullyed, and has intervened on behalf of several kids who were being picked on, once to the tune of the bully ending up with ice packs on his face in the nurses office, and the police being called. Thankfully the yard duty teacher saw the whole thing, and stated that the would be bully got exactly what he deserved. This is what needs to happen with bullies, they need a mudhole stomped in them, but good! It is different for us , living in a small rural area, big city schools are probably a bit dicey in this, what with gangs and such.Nevertheless, giving bullies their way is a bad practice.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,044,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is my intention. Moth Jr is still quite young. But when he is old enough, he will be instructed in boxing and possibly martial arts. He will be instilled with a simple doctrine- Never start crap and do not take any. Should I see that he is the bully, he will have me to deal with. And that ain't gonna be fun.

I feel exactly the same way, and I am instilling the same thing into my son. Don't start it, but absolutely if it cannot be solved by other means, then handle your business! If I find out you were the one doing the bullying you're in deep s***!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 3,099,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Then give their parents money and hire a lawyer to protect the bully's rights?

My bully problems ended in 4th grade (back in the mid 80's) when I went apes#*t on our school bully one day in the plaground, just like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" (it was my inspiration ). There was a trip to the principal and a note sent home to my parents, but that was the end of it, and the kid never bothered me again. I discovered personal confidence that day and it's served me well through my whole life.

That's how it's been for who knows how long.... but not anymore. Now they will suspend the kid fighting back, label him/her as a disturbed child, put them in juvenile court and load them up with a daily bucket of "calming" drugs. Ah, the liberal solution.
Thats if it works. If it doesn't, we can just have the Columbine or Mt. Morris solution. I know your version is all heroic, thats often not how it works. What if its an unpopular kid being picked on by a bunch of popular kids??? No good solution there.

Violence begets violence, and it will solve nothing except bring about more violence.

Notify the parents of the bully and school administration and bus drivers (a lot of crap goes on there). If the parents don't take care of it and the kid keeps it up, the parents should be fined, A LOT.

Teach the bully responsibility for his actions. If he wants to treat others like crap, then he's going to pay the price. Don't leave it to chance that it will be some sort of David vs. Goliath, because in reality, David will usually not come out on top.

Arguably, there are not enough adults in the schools in the first place to prevent things like this. Imagine being a bus driver. One of you and a big mirror to up to 50 of them.......makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:20 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,929,508 times
bullying is nothing new, and will always be there...the minute you're kid is old enough to be socially interactive to his grave, he or she will face bullying in some way or another.

each case is different...the onus is on the parents, teach your kid it's wrong to bully, and there will be consequences...teach your kid how to defend himself, physically AND mentally, and he'll brush it off, and get "back on the horse" again.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

11,943 posts, read 17,446,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Thats if it works. If it doesn't, we can just have the Columbine or Mt. Morris solution. I know your version is all heroic, thats often not how it works. What if its an unpopular kid being picked on by a bunch of popular kids??? No good solution there.

Violence begets violence, and it will solve nothing except bring about more violence.

Notify the parents of the bully and school administration and bus drivers (a lot of crap goes on there). If the parents don't take care of it and the kid keeps it up, the parents should be fined, A LOT.

Teach the bully responsibility for his actions. If he wants to treat others like crap, then he's going to pay the price. Don't leave it to chance that it will be some sort of David vs. Goliath, because in reality, David will usually not come out on top.

Arguably, there are not enough adults in the schools in the first place to prevent things like this. Imagine being a bus driver. One of you and a big mirror to up to 50 of them.......makes a lot of sense.
David will certainly come out on top if he has the leeway to amp it up to a level of ferociousness that even Goliath will find daunting- which Goliath will for Goliath is a COWARD. That is what bullies are- Cowards. Cowards have no courage, no honor. They simply have a selective targeting system and perhaps a great deal of anger.

Moth Jr is only 2 1/2. His doctor has predicted that he will grow to a size somewhere between 6'4" and 6'6". So perhaps he will not be David. But were he to be, I would counsel him to take extraordinary measures to take Goliath down. Too short? Grab a tree branch. Self Defense I say. Outsized? Mace the bastard.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,137,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

We're talking about kids here, and kid "politics". Our rules don't apply there, and neither do our consequences.

For example, if two adults go at it someone is likely to get seriously hurt, but what are the chances of two fighting 10 year olds resulting in more than tears and bruises?

But standing up for yourself is an important part of growing up and being a independent adult. Always running to parents or school authority breeds whiny dependant adults who expect the government to take care of them in all things.

Last edited by Chango; 04-16-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies