Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,547,179 times

Advertisements

Bullying is certainly nothing new, but it has changed. Though it does happen as we imagine, it's no longer limited to the big kid tripping a smaller kid in the hall or demanding lunch money. Violence is much more glorified and kids can really be taken advantage of and humiliated. Some kids are not going to ever be able to defend themselves against their bully. Brush it off sounds easy too, unless it happens day after day and is made well-known to the rest of the class and the act of walking into the school building brings on hours of feeling alienated. Imagine it for a middle school kid. For most of us, it would have involved a fight and it was over and forgotten quickly. Imagine what it's like for a kids now that for, whatever reason, becomes the target and get used to mop the flloor only to go home and find it posted on the internet for everyone to see. The stakes have been raised and it needs to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM

4,523 posts, read 4,067,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
David will certainly come out on top if he has the leeway to amp it up to a level of ferociousness that even Goliath will find daunting- which Goliath will for Goliath is a COWARD. That is what bullies are- Cowards. Cowards have no courage, no honor. They simply have a selective targeting system and perhaps a great deal of anger.

Moth Jr is only 2 1/2. His doctor has predicted that he will grow to a size somewhere between 6'4" and 6'6". So perhaps he will not be David. But were he to be, I would counsel him to take extraordinary measures to take Goliath down. Too short? Grab a tree branch. Self Defense I say. Outsized? Mace the bastard.
.....and then what does he do when Goliath comes back with a gun because Goliath's dad also taught him to not back down from anyone?

and remember a coward is still capable of shooting someone who doesn't deserve it, all it takes is enough anger (which you also speculate bullies/goliaths have) and a finger strong enough to pull a trigger.

What happens to Moth Jr. if Goliath has a couple of buddies?

Get the point yet?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM

13,627 posts, read 20,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
.....and then what does he do when Goliath comes back with a gun because Goliath's dad also taught him to not back down from anyone?

and remember a coward is still capable of shooting someone who doesn't deserve it, all it takes is enough anger (which you also speculate bullies/goliaths have) and a finger strong enough to pull a trigger.

What happens to Moth Jr. if Goliath has a couple of buddies?

Get the point yet?

That is NOT what we are talking about. Guns are an entirely different subject-indeed universe.

Buddies? F*** them up too. I will not have my son be anyone's fool. What is supposed to do? Sing Kumbaya as they pummel him? Thank you sir, may I have another? Please.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM

20,403 posts, read 12,302,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is my intention. Moth Jr is still quite young. But when he is old enough, he will be instructed in boxing and possibly martial arts. He will be instilled with a simple doctrine- Never start crap and do not take any. Should I see that he is the bully, he will have me to deal with. And that ain't gonna be fun.
dito

Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
public school, its hard, we've all been there, either the bully or the bullied, we all have our chance to shine as the allstar or fail the test, get dumped by girl, and score a date to the prom.

so, if you child came home with a bloody nose from bullies at school, what would be your solution to this? teach him to fight?
you know this is a question that I have wondered about for years..When I was in school, about 50 years ago and yes, I am serious, even longer, kids were bullied like you said or they bullied, but they didn't kill each other, they didn't beat people to a pulp and kids didn't react by committing suicide or having life long problems. We got over it, yes, many of us were on both sides of the coin. I think much of the problem lies with parents either over protecting or denying their little angel would do such a thing. We are raising a bunch of patty waists that don't realize life isn't always fair. We don't teach them to live in a competitive world and we allow them to be the center of the world...The answer, I don't have one. I feel for the kids that are bullied but how to stop it, I wish there was an answer. Maybe parents have just lost contol because everyone is so busy working and making ends meet they don't take the time or have the time to parent. Or maybe everyone makes too much out of this, as someone said, send the kid back outside to play, stop the babying and stop allowing your kid to bully others. But don't let this become a major issue, pulling the kid out of school is the worst and last thing a parent should do.

Nita

Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM

20,403 posts, read 12,302,469 times
The real answer is no longer an answer.

Bullies in my school (that could not be taken care of by the other kids) Got a serious butt whoopen.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
Our district expells kids if they physically assault someone. There is also a K-12 program in place to discourage bullying. Administration and teachers take it seriously and I'm not aware of any major problems.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,213,141 times
Find out who the Bully is and beat his/hers Dad's A*s??

lol

Old 04-16-2010, 03:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,628,342 times
My daughter wasn't physically bullied, but in 3rd grade she was subjected to some of the tackiest, crappiest little girl politics you've ever seen both in school and in her after school program. We pulled her out of the after-school program and she started attending martial arts classes. Don't know if it was the classes, or just getting her away from the kids, but her confidence soared and she's never had another problem. She just got her brown belt in Tae Kwon Do.

In the martial arts program they spend lots of time talking about bullies and stress that you try to get away from them but if you can't, they teach ways to break holds and fight back. We also told her at the time that if anyone ever laid a hand on her and she fought back that she would not get in trouble at home. I'll never forget the look on her face when I told her "If Suzie touches you, lay her out." She just beamed. I think it was the realization that we supported her 100% that was so encouraging to her.

I also wrote the principal a note the next school year and asked that she not be put in the same class as the other two girls. It was very diplomatic, but I said the three of them were a bad combination. She hasn't been in class with them since. One of them is still hateful to her but she says the other is nice now.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,123,952 times
It depends on how bad the bullying is. Have any of you heard about the Phoebe Prince case?

She was from Ireland and just 15. She lived in MA. along with her family. Her school bullies consisted of 7 girls and 2 boys. They locked her inside lockers, threw her inside dumpsters, pushed her around, stalked her, sent her death threats on her cell phone, and other things like that.

They kept taunting her on her facebook page, telling her to kill herself. In Jan. this year, she did just that.

She took a scarf and made a noose with it. She then hung herself. Her 12 year old sister found her body.

The girl had gone to school administrators and asked for help. They did nothing.
The day before she died, she asked the administrators if she could leave early from classes because she was afraid those kids would beat her up. They told her to go back to class.

Apparently, after school that day, one of the boys in this gang, raped her. She took her life that night.

After it was known that she killed herself, these same bullies went to her Facebook pages and left messages saying "Mission accomplished."

Now these bullies are facing charges that run the gamut.

To the @OP,
I would talk to the school administrators. If your child has been assaulted by another child this goes beyond normal bullying. You need to bring the attention of this bully to administrators. If you don't and something happens to your child, the administrators can and will claim they did not know this other child was a problem toward his/her peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies