U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
15,952 posts, read 11,904,906 times
Reputation: 7739
EXXON Paid $0.00, maybe it'll trickle down.

How'd Cheyney do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
3,334 posts, read 3,182,292 times
Reputation: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh did I miss that page in history where they voted to increase taxes for a project deemed necessary, then turned tail marching around in circles vilifying the very establishment THEY WERE claiming themselves victims of the legislation they sponsored? Seems many citizens in america missed that page right along with me. Sure it exists?
Whiskey tax, I presume. Yes, you are right. The Federalists (Washington, Adams, Hamilton et al) made a massive blunder there.

The federal government, at the behest of the 1st Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, assumed the states' debt from the Revolutionary War. In 1791 Hamilton convinced Congress to approve the Whiskey Act, which placed an excise tax on alcohol. This was to be the first "internal" tax levied by the national government. Although Hamilton's principal reason for the tax was raising money to service the national debt, he also justified the tax "more as a measure of social discipline than as a source of revenue." Most importantly, however, Hamilton "wanted the tax imposed to advance and secure the power of the new federal government." This all led to the Whiskey Rebellion. What Hamilton was doing is very reminiscent of what is going on today as well. The Rebels were the Patriots during that time.

Yes, this episode make Washington's comments in his Farewell Address in 1796 seem disingenuous. Thank goodness Thomas Jefferson came along and put a stop to it. The question is, where is the 21st Century Thomas Jefferson going to come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: USA
2,130 posts, read 1,456,884 times
Reputation: 3504
Glad to see the Fisher House was one of the charities. That's one of my favorite charities and is run very efficiently. Good for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 2,343,951 times
Reputation: 968
What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Southern California
12,245 posts, read 8,891,098 times
Reputation: 7939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No it doesn't but all the other things that Obama does on a daily basis does make him a real American patriot.
Then the OP needs to list the other things Obama does on a daily basis that would qualify him as a patriot becausing paying taxes is nothing outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,541 posts, read 10,350,590 times
Reputation: 7776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Then the OP needs to list the other things Obama does on a daily basis that would qualify him as a patriot becausing paying taxes is nothing outstanding.
How about donating over a million dollars to charity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
3,334 posts, read 3,182,292 times
Reputation: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No taxation without Representation, right?

Seems like I remember voting a few years ago, and a vote coming up this November.

Guess we got our representation.
Yes, we have the vote. True. No contest. However, the people who are sent, especially those who are party mainliners and insiders, do you honestly feel they are representing you in Congress? Or, are they more representing American Corporations and the Church (Right) or American Corporations AND the looney groups like PETA, ACORN, etc. (Left)?

When you consider it in that light, saying we have representation is more akin to Samuel Johnson's 1775 treatise, Taxation No Tyranny, where in an attempt to defend the "Coercive Acts" he extolled the virtues of "Virtual Representation" in Parliament. It didn't wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Southern California
12,245 posts, read 8,891,098 times
Reputation: 7939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How about donating over a million dollars to charity?
Is donating a definition of patriotism? If so, a lot of people are patriots...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,541 posts, read 10,350,590 times
Reputation: 7776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yes, we have the vote. True. No contest. However, the people who are sent, especially those who are party mainliners and insiders, do you honestly feel they are representing you in Congress? Or are they more representing American Corporations and the Church (Right) or American Corporations AND the looney groups like PETA, ACORN, etc. (Left)?

When you consider it in that light, saying we have representation is more akin to Samuel Johnson's 1775 treatise, Taxation No Tyranny, where in an attempt to defend the "Coercive Acts" he extolled the virtues of "Virtual Representation" in Parliament. It didn't wash.
This is what I don't get about the "Congress doesn't represent me" argument.

You vote for how ever many Representatives you get for your state, based on population.

You get to vote for two senators.

You don't get to vote, or say, what happens in other states.

Thats the way our system works. If 49 states decide to vote a 100% tax on all income in your state, you are SOL. Thats the way our government is set up.

You can complain about what other states do, and ask YOUR representative to try and change what other states are doing, but thats the end of your government control.

The majority of Americans voted for George Bush, I didn't like it, and I didn't like what he did. I expressed my opinion on it, because I get a vote for President. However, I don't get to vote for congressmen and women from California. So I can't complain about Nancy Pelosi. I can ask my congressman to oppose her being speaker of the house, but thats the end of it.

Quit complaining about what congress is doing to you. If you're unhappy with what your congressmen and women are doing for you, vote against them. Don't tell me, who I need to vote for in my state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Texas, Finally!
5,225 posts, read 7,504,174 times
Reputation: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Paying taxes alone is not sufficient to label one a patriot.
That's not what Joe Biden thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top