Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,161,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Living in a predominantly black neighborhood, in the black part of Omaha, I see the things you describe every day. For the most part, it's no big deal. We're talking about fads - passing preferences. And though I'm not at all into the "donk look", there are some of those cars that show incredible workmanship!

Unfortunately, however, there are many urban blacks who choose (and I use that term liberally) to wallow in self pity, race blaming, and poor choices. The divide and dichotomy has never before been so apparent and obvious. From the same family, one brother will choose to finish high school, go to college and get a good job. A different brother chooses the life of the gang-banger, and gets shot dead - at the age of 23 - at 3:00 AM.

Today's urban blacks are facing choices like never before. They are literally surrounded by opportunities for success. But they have to choose and pursue those opportunities. Fortunately, many are!

Omaha - I'm not sure what you mean when you use the word "choose". You can only make a conscious choice if you know that you have one to make. Otherwise you do only what you know, what you see others in your environment do. To arrive at a true choice, you have to have been exposed to at least two different options, directions, etc. If all you know is what you have been exposed to, and if most of what you have been exposed to is a negative or unproductive environment, where is the choice? That takes a toll on the individual's sense of his ability to accomplish something greater that what he sees around himself.

Choice comes from a combination of exposure, values, and a sense of what is truly attainable for me (the individual). Just because I see black people in suits and ties working in office buildings downtown does not necessarily mean that I embrace that as a possibility for my future, or as something that I can attain. There has to be a link between where I am and what I see in order to considert that an attainable goal, and thereby make a choice to move in that direction. If I can't relate it to my reality, it's not really a choice for me. If dealing drugs, or gang banging, or not trying to get a job or go to school are what dominate my environment, that becomes my attainable reality. I see those around me who are like me doing that, so I can do that, too.

If I can relate the suit and tie scenario that to my reality, how do I get from point A to point B? I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but there is much to overcome. If my classes are overcrowded, books dilapidated or in short supply, if I have no support system around me (parents and teachers) to encourage me to pursue education (even completing high school), that college education looks a lot less like an attainable reality to me. I'm not saying that those obstacles cannot be overcome, but it pretty damn hard without some help.

That being said, an opportunity for success has to be recognized as an opportunity before one can make the choice to seize it.

I have never lived in or been to Omaha, but I question whether there are truly "opportunities for success" "surrounding" today's urban black population in most any large metropolitan area. I know that was true when I was a younger man in my twenties, but that was thirty years ago when it was fashionable for corporations and government agencies to sponsor and run such programs in economically depressed areas. I'm not so sure that's the case today.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,507,739 times
This whole "debate" is hardly anything new. Back in the 1960s, Dick Gregory titled his autobiography "N*gger." He said that anyone who used the word would be advertising his book.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,427,321 times
I don't "want" to use it but I don't agree that it should be banned, that is just ridiculous. Many words have been turned into "bad" words solely based on people using them in ways that they were not intended, it does not change the original definition of the word. Example: Jackass, it is a mule but people have used it in a negative way so now it is considered a "bad" word. Another is B*tch I mean if you go bad to the original definition there are not to many words that are really "bad" words.

Here is a website that gives you the History of the N Word it is pretty interesting.

The Original Meaning of the “N” Word — by Pianke Nubiyang – Rasta Livewire

Old 04-17-2010, 03:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,522,330 times
If anyone is interested, this book came out a few years ago, interesting and very well written.

N*****: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word - Randall Kennedy

Amazon.com: ******: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word (9780375713712): Randall Kennedy: Books

Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM

72,838 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Being a White guy, believe me, most half decent people I know, black or white absolutely despise this garbage.
That might be what you have experienced. My own experience however, this is what I have seen. I have seen a few(not many, very few) White kids emulate the "thug culture". In some cases I see some White males(and females) blaring rap music from their cars while driving and some of it I do find garbage. The age range I find this the most is between 18 and 25. Perhaps for you it is an age factor. My father doesn't like that stuff. My younger brother just turned 18 in March. He listens to that stuff alot.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,310,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The most disgusting word in the dictionary. The word should be expunged from everyone's mind. It should not be used by ANY race. The rage and hurt it generates is my proof.
this is a crap thread, but I found this interesting? That's the most disgusting word you can find in the dictionary? honestly?

How about cancer? rape? murder? pedophilia?

does anyone even think any more?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,793,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
Your white peeps wonder why blacks worry more about a term used for blacks, among blacks, than murder. It's the 5th cause of death for black people.

http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/04males_by_race.pdf (broken link)

While you're debating a term, your people are dieing...from something that might be preventable.

Gangsta rap - glorifies treating women like whores. Then, you fling a term around that people use as a deragotory term for blacks. Perhaps, you have a pimped out ride. Pimp. Wow. What an aspiration for young people to be. The pinnacle of success is to be a criminal. In fact, it's looked up to. It's repsected. You get street cred, and all by doing crimnal acts. And you can't hold a Federal job, to boot. Won't have to work for "the man."

"I want to have some bizatches and ho's." LOL.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 PM

58,623 posts, read 26,934,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I don't "want" to use it but I don't agree that it should be banned, that is just ridiculous. Many words have been turned into "bad" words solely based on people using them in ways that they were not intended, it does not change the original definition of the word. Example: Jackass, it is a mule but people have used it in a negative way so now it is considered a "bad" word. Another is B*tch I mean if you go bad to the original definition there are not to many words that are really "bad" words.

Here is a website that gives you the History of the N Word it is pretty interesting.

The Original Meaning of the “N” Word — by Pianke Nubiyang – Rasta Livewire
We have allowed, in the name of Political Correctness, to let a minority dictate to the majority what we can and can't say.
Not only n...r but call any black, boy and you will get sued. Even he is a boy or acts like one.

How many college and high school coaches called ALL his players boy. can't do that anymore.

look at the uproar on this forum about the Confederate flag. We can't fly it because "it hurts my feelings". Some blacks want to ban it entirely.

As stated in here before use of cracker, honky, red neck and other words are used by blacks as a racial derogatory slam. None of those words are banned.

As proof, I typed those words and they were not edited by the CD software. Type n....r and it will automatically be edited.

Double standard.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 PM

44 posts, read 41,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
To the OP: I am not one of "your peeps" or one of "your people" despite the fact that I am caucasian. Your "kind" of people are apparently racists and I think you're just trying to stir up trouble here. I wouldn't be one of your people of you paid me.
Stop whining!! Its annoying!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM

44 posts, read 41,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Equal rights for all?????

LOL!! This was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies