Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

marriage is a religious institution. many people are not religious and ,or don't want to get married. many women want children and have not found the right partner, many people who may want to marry, can't legally. all of these people deserve to have children if they want without question or being looked upon as something less than what some in our society think they should be. get over it people. a child needs someone to love and care for them, they could care less if the parent is married only that they are loved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
40% of moms are out of wedlock. they are not concerned about the dad supporting them, that is mom and dad's job these days. part of the permakid syndrome.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Huge brushstroke generalizations in here. Might as well have said murder is bad, people need to stop killing each other.
Firstly, we are animals. Animals propagate for survival of their species. At one time the weak perished and the strong survived. Not so much the case now, in regards to humans. We have changed (I wanted to use evolve in place of change due to the obvious religious tone in this thread, but I digress). Personally I will not allow the OP to determine who and who will not have children based on the OP's personal beliefs (whether there is merit there or not). In this day and age we exist in a much broader realm regarding social and moral conditions... i.e. we no longer fit in the mold of the dad working, stay at home mom, nice two story house with the white picket fence with the 2.2 kids. We used to have square puzzle pieces for a square puzzle. Today we have a puzzle with multiple facets and angles, and pieces that actually change in shape as we go along. Bottom line is... one size no longer fits all. And try as you might, you (OP) are not going to get a square piece to fit in a roundish hole. Welcome to today. It ain't yesterday.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Being married at the time of conception is hardly a guarantee that a child will grow up to be a productive member of society.
No one is saying it is. You still can't escape the data associated with out of wedlock births and the social consequences, no matter how you want to spin it or hopw non-judgmental you need to be.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
marriage is a religious institution. many people are not religious and ,or don't want to get married. many women want children and have not found the right partner, many people who may want to marry, can't legally. all of these people deserve to have children if they want without question or being looked upon as something less than what some in our society think they should be. get over it people. a child needs someone to love and care for them, they could care less if the parent is married only that they are loved
Yet in spite of your platitudes the wealth of data with regards to the future well-being of out of wedlock children is inescapable.

Like it or not, numbers don't care, have opinions or have feelings.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Yet in spite of your platitudes the wealth of data with regards to the future well-being of out of wedlock children is inescapable.

Like it or not, numbers don't care, have opinions or have feelings.
sure it is great if we all had the leave it to beaver life, mom dad, a loving sibling and a dog. talk about rose colored glasses life isn't like that. sure it would be great too if everyone had a good paying job, there was no cancer or war, and children didn't starve. no one can argue with that but it still does not exclude my examples. what do you suggest happen to the people who want children that are not a part of the "traditional" lifestyle you promote?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
what do you suggest happen to the people who want children that are not a part of the "traditional" lifestyle you promote?
Simple. Have as many children as you wish as long as you take full responsibilty for them.

That's what real adults have to do.

If you're in it only for the orgasm, don't throw procreation into the act. Nobody benefits. Especially a child.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
sure it is great if we all had the leave it to beaver life, mom dad, a loving sibling and a dog. talk about rose colored glasses life isn't like that. sure it would be great too if everyone had a good paying job, there was no cancer or war, and children didn't starve. no one can argue with that but it still does not exclude my examples. what do you suggest happen to the people who want children that are not a part of the "traditional" lifestyle you promote?
Very selfish of them. They want a child like some chic possession, but then they turn around and want society to provide the financial support for their children and don't care that a child needs two parents, a family.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Simple. Have as many children as you wish as long as you take full responsibilty for them.

That's what real adults have to do.

If you're in it only for the orgasm, don't throw procreation into the act. Nobody benefits. Especially a child.
Responsibility? The reason most single women choose to have children is just so they can be given food stamps, government benefits. If there were no overly generous government handouts, and the women actually had to get off their rear ends and earn a living to support their children themselves, they wouldn't go that route.

They want the fun without the consequences.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Responsibility? The reason most single women choose to have children is just so they can be given food stamps, government benefits. If there were no overly generous government handouts, and the women actually had to get off their rear ends and earn a living to support their children themselves, they wouldn't go that route.

They want the fun without the consequences.

I have to say that I was a single mom years ago and knew other single moms and I was NEVER on any government handout nor were any of the other single mothers that I knew!
The idea that, and this is your quote, "most single women choose to have children is just so they can be given food stamps," is not true! I'm not sure where you are pulling that statement from but what a falacy!

Many women, on the other hand, do make the mistake of thinking that if they get pregnant, an immature relationship will thrive once the baby is born. Many women also make the mistake of not using any contraception. But I have yet to meet a single mother who said to me that she became a single mother to get food stamps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies