Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It's insane. We keep waging war after war on foreign soil without the foggiest idea what "winning" would constitute. We had "body counts" every day on the news when the nation finally got disgusted with Bush's wars--then Obama gets elected and starts his own war in Afghanistan, and doesn't even pull us out of Iraq!
You know what the joke is (Maher joke) The only difference between Bush Jr. and Obama? Obama has a tan

Seriously, it's sad we continue these charades at tax payers expense and at the expense of our young men and women
in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Told you the government-lovers wouldn't able to resist defending it! "A tax-free loan to the government"? It isn't a loan, since the Supreme Court has already ruled that no citizen has a right to a single penny back from the Social System. If you haven't retired yet, and you are planning on receiving ANYTHING from Social Security when you do, you might want to research the fiscal health of the program.
I have done my homework. I am not sure what you are saying? I would appreciate it if you would expand your comment.

Also rather than beat to death the problem, how about some solutions. Interested in knowing your thoughts to resolve the mess.

changing retirement age? reducing benefits? private retirement savings accounts?

Also how do we treat disabled SS recipients, or children that receive benefits through the death of the bread winner.

Solutions needed since I think most already know the problems.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
One for now. Social security. Since Democrats like government "holding" retirement money for someone until they retire why won't you allow a person to...

Collect it at a lump sum at retirement?

Will it to a person of their choice?

Make the decision for themself how much is sent monthly?

Why do you tax it as taxable income?

Why tax interest in a bank account?

All that holds people back and shouldn't it be their right to decide their own life specially after retiring?
How strange.

Are you under the impression that Republicans repeal Social Security when they're in office, and the Democrats put it back in place when they're in office?

Or do you just think that Social Security policy is written and vetted by political partisans?

Very, very strange.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So everyone should stop talking about how SS is going to run out of money.
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

remember it was NEVER designed to be a retirement program anyhow. it ws designed to SUPPLEMENT your retirement

lets get rid of it....not all at once..let the people currently on it continue..but people who havent hit 62 yet.. lets stop it

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

remember it was NEVER designed to be a retirement program anyhow. it ws designed to SUPPLEMENT your retirement

lets get rid of it....not all at once..let the people currently on it continue..but people who havent hit 62 yet.. lets stop it
If the Republicans were to run on that idea they would get destroyed.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

You're wrong, Social Security is an insurance plan, not an investment or a supplement to your retirement. It's a safety net in case your injured and can no longer work or need it in old age.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.
1. Why did this not bother you until Obama was elected? Why did you not LOVE Clinton for creating a surplus? I mean, I know why, but how do you rationalize it to yourself? Personally I think it sucks that Obama has to increase the debt. If Bush hadn't squandered the Clinton surplus Obama would be able to spend without any worry.

2. Slavery is having to have another job once you retire because you have no family/your family can't/won't support you. Having a weak body barely able to work yet forced to do so in order to make money is slavery. Social security is a godsend essential to the survival of our Republic. And the majority of Republicans support keeping it lol.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

Disagree. I started working when I was 16. I'm 22 now. So that's 6 years I've paid into it. Can't imagine what my father, who also started working at 16 and is now 52, would feel. That is robbery.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

so should I expect a refund for all my contributions

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
here's an IDEA

let's get RID of SS

Yea, the original intent of the program is toast, long hence. SS is the single tax that really chaps me to no end. I will never see a dime of the money I have paid into it, however, if I had been putting that money into a savings account all these years, investing it, and such, I could retire now. The politicians have bankrupted the program, they just can't stand to see money laying around, so they passed laws that enabled them to tap the funds. This was one of the biggest fears that people who originally opposed the program had, ...not to worry! There are LAWS in place, it won't happen! Uh huh, trust the lawmakers, and they will find a way around the law. It is nothing more than a slush fund now, and the program should either be scrapped , or totally overhauled. Whatever happens, there are a LOT of us who will have to cut our losses in what we have paid into the program. It frosts me no end!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies