Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Right, but you said there shouldn't be a whites for Romeny group because it's a foregone conclusion - likewise it's a foregone conclusion that blacks are going to overwhelmingly support Obama.
No, I said there shouldn't be a whites for Romney group because it'd be redundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Maybe Samuel L Jackson will surprise everyone next election by saying he voted for Romney because he was white?
That would certainly be a surprise....

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 914,634 times
I wouldn't say white males are exactly discriminated against, but we are held to a higher standard by society.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,040,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, I said there shouldn't be a whites for Romney group because it'd be redundant.
And you fail to see why blacks for Obama is equally redundant?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,354,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't believe that the majority of heterosexual white men think of themselves as persecuted victims, but it's clear that some do. Perhaps those who believe they are discriminated against can explain why they feel this way.
There isn't a poll option for "ROTFLOL!"

Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
1. How does it give one an advantage? Have you ever met poor whites in Alabama, Arkansas, or West Virginia? Or are you under the impression that all White people are upper class hipsters?

2. True. But the government does not actively discriminate those groups.

3. White people don't seem commit crimes at rates that minorities (excluding Asians) do. Your boy Jesse Jackson had something to say about this a couple years back. (I'm assuming you are a self-loathing, guilt-ridden White liberal, which is why I figure Jesse is your boy. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.)
tim, you have no idea.

I'm to the right of Reagan.

A) That being said, white men DO have an advantage, regardless of the small percentage of white trash.

B) I HATE hipsters.

C) The fact that most violent crime is committed by blacks is a reason that we white men have an advantage. jesse jackson is a pig.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
A government...........that is staffed overwhelmingly by White males.
Now wait a minute.....look at the major cities that are run by minorities.

Philly, DC, Detroit, etc.

They are slums. They are broke. They are dangerous places.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 AM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Now wait a minute.....look at the major cities that are run by minorities.

Philly, DC, Detroit, etc.

They are slums. They are broke. They are dangerous places.
Really? Detroit, I could agree with you. But Philly and DC? Hardly. Sure, there are bad neighborhoods - few cities in this country avoid them - but neither Philly nor DC are overwhelmingly dangerous across the board.

Atlanta is another city that has had black mayors since 1990. They have grown Atlanta into a world-class city, navigating it through the Olympics and attention afterward.

But back on topic - in the 90s I had a cross burned on my lawn. That's not something a white man faces. My teachers at school and the community was very discouraging to women wanting positions of power - I was steered toward nursing when I mentioned wanting to be a doctor or a paralegal when I mentioned law - and I was at the top of my class consistently.

That's not to say there isn't discrimination against white men. That's a silly assumption. But to say they face more? Absolutely ludicrous.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Really? Detroit, I could agree with you. But Philly and DC? Hardly. Sure, there are bad neighborhoods - few cities in this country avoid them - but neither Philly nor DC are overwhelmingly dangerous across the board.

Atlanta is another city that has had black mayors since 1990. They have grown Atlanta into a world-class city, navigating it through the Olympics and attention afterward.

But back on topic - in the 90s I had a cross burned on my lawn. That's not something a white man faces. My teachers at school and the community was very discouraging to women wanting positions of power - I was steered toward nursing when I mentioned wanting to be a doctor or a paralegal when I mentioned law - and I was at the top of my class consistently.

That's not to say there isn't discrimination against white men. That's a silly assumption. But to say they face more? Absolutely ludicrous.
The point is that their school districts are a mess and dangerous.

They mismanage their citizens tax dollars.

Here's an example.

Clout: The sheriff wants an SUV. Wanna chip in? - Philly.com

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 AM

14,856 posts, read 8,179,887 times
The question isn't very descriptive. Lets look at this question a little differently.

Do straight white men face the most discrimination overall? No.

Do straight white men face the most discrimination from government? Yes.

In the absence of government regulation, would the NFL or other highly competitive businesses discriminate against anyone who could play the game well regardless of background? I highly doubt it.

The truth is, government has historically been one of the greatest facilitators of discrimination. And today, in the quest to "Create equality". It has policies that are nothing but reverse-discrimination. And through legislation that has allowed "discrimination lawsuits", which tend to be largely unfounded disgruntled ex-employees or non-hires. You have created a large-scale system of discrimination that greatly limits straight white men.

Basically, while white men certainly shouldn't feel discriminated in a general sense, since they are and will continue to be very successful overall as a group. If you compared apples to apples in terms of actual merit for their position in society. Straight white men are being mildly "held back" overall, and especially in government positions, where minorities are heavily overrepresented based on very biased hiring practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies