Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should private citizens have a right to own and carry an automatic machine gun?
Yes, right to own 27 20.15%
Yes, right to carry 0 0%
Yes, right to own and carry 46 34.33%
No, no right to own or carry 61 45.52%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

One thing I have not seen mentioned as yet, is, that a legally owned (title 3) weapon has never been used in a crime, yet criminal misuse is the biggest argument I have seen regarding automatic weapons. They are certainly misused by criminals, however, these weapons are hardly legal. Your local Crips chapter has paid their title 3 taxes and passed the background check, I'm sure....right? surrrrre they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why, so they can kill a ton of people more efficiently?

These types of weapons should be banned - the 2nd amendment did not intend for psychopaths to have mass killing machines.

"Psychopaths to have mass killing machines " Hmmmm let me think, a gun fully automatic or not just sitting there is no more a killing machine than a glass of water. Isn't the psychopath the "killing machine" ?

Now I am a gun person, I enjoy shooting and also carry concealed. But whether or not a fully automatic weapon is available to me really doens't matter much. Hell , ammo is expensive enough I'm sure I couldn't afford to shoot if I had one.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe that Second Amendment purists would say yes, they should have that right.

Well,it a tricky issue...

Personally,as an avid capitalist,I might be against the private possesion of shotguns & rifles in general,due to the prohibitive ciost of armouring against those calibers...

But shotguns as hunting rifles exist all over the world.

From the moment that such high caliber guns exist in the market,it is futile to try to prohibit "assault rifles "etc...
The classic 12 gauge shotgun has almost the lethality of an M 16,at close range,
A safety window,or a body armour for those,costs the same high price...

So,while shotguns & rifles are expensive to armour against,in reality they realistically cannot be banned.

So,the solution is ...proliferation of those high caliber guns for active self defence.

So,yes to both ,own (at home ) & carry .

Semi or fully automatic,
"assault "or not,
same caliber & type of ammo rifles have the same lethality.
It is a myth for the ignorant anything different.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Guns are the most worshipped objects in America. Guns are the very core of American values. So good patriotic Americans (all should be such) should be able to carry automatic machine guns. Wherever they go; jobs, stores, sports events, and even to church. It would be best that all guns should always be loaded and the carrier should have an ammo belt (Rambo style) slung over his shoulder.
For those who can't afford automatic machine guns can wear the weapon of their choice. It would be wonderful (and comforting) to see Americans everywhere carrying guns, then you know this is America.
All people who own guns are healthy and patriotic. Psychopaths are always liberals.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
And I thought I forked out major coin for my M1A National Match. I is just a poor boy, my self image is devastated, I may never recover. I do like that rifle though, there is just something about that black walnut and blued steel, with a real leather sling, well oiled and limber from use, and a 20 round mag full of 168 gr Matchkings..........My sense of self worth is returning.
They don't exactly give them things away either...or I'd have one. Still kicking myself for selling my Garand back in the early '90s. My FAL and AR are my only evil black rifles now. My favorite in my collection is a Win M70 Stealth, long range shooting is a whole new game.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Why does anyone NEED to own a machine gun?

I have no problem with gun ownership--I've owned several in my life and likely will again, strictly for personal protection.

What use is a machine gun? It has no use for hunting or personal protection. It's only use is to shred a human body quite efficiently. It most certainly isn't a toy and when in the hands of a criminal can only do a great deal of damage.

Personally, I don't understand the need, but should we start banning certain guns, where then do Second Amendment rights begin and end?
As you probably picked up from this thread, ownership of automatic weapons is highly regulated, requiring a detailed background check and a $200 transfer tax on any one purchased. In addition, ownership requires that f-troop be allowed to conduct unannounced inspections of your collection. Even though allowed by the feds, ownership is banned in several states.

IIRC, since the firearms act of 1934, only one legally owned automatic has ever been used to commit a murder. And that was ironically by a cop, the one group gun-banners exempt from gun laws.

The "use" of a machine gun is primarily for it's historical value and recreational shooting. The arguement that they are used to commit widespread murder doesn't hold up.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
to shred a human body quite efficiently. ?

While a full auto does send out a lot of lead fast, anybody who knows a little will tell you a real lethal machine is a guy with skills that can put one aimed round on target. Thankfully the Taliban don't comprehend this, their love affair with full auto more often sends rounds missing rather than hitting.

Full auto has advantages only limited tactically, like suppression fire, maybe close quarters, when endanger over being over run. Put 20 bowling pins in a row and shoot at them with a machine gun from the front and most will be misses. Now use it in a flanking position shooting the pins from the side and then the machine gun's advantages show itself.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Guns are the most worshipped objects in America. Guns are the very core of American values.
Just like Jeezus (never mind Matthew 26:52... it was a liberal conspiracy).

I say... let people buy what they want.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Oh and BTW, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT have that CLASS III weapon in your possession at anytime day or night without the tax stamp (license) on you! That is very-very-very serious s*** and you are going away for 10 years if you aren't legally in possession of that CLASS III weapon!
Absolutely agree. The paperwork and license must be with the weapon AT ALL TIMES.

But doing it all...even within the rules, sure does make it fun!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ain't it great living in a free state? I don't have any, purely due to financial issues and other, more pressing needs, but would like to. I have a number of friends that do.
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies