Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times

Advertisements

The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
The intolerant government knows best liberals will be heralding this decision like no tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
So you two like the idea of high levels of salt in your food? Should the government not monitor what's in our food? You actually trust the food companies to provide you with decent nutrition? I'd like to be assured that what I'm eating is indeed edible. Of course, that's hardly the case nowadays thanks to the influence of our food manufacturers. Take margarine for example. Margarine exists because it was created by accident. It's only a couple molecules away from plastic and has no nutritional value...but it's sold as food. How many more items are on that list? How would we ever know? What are the other 50,000 chemicals put in our foods that aren't documented?

I've always thought that giving free reign to corporations was a greater evil than the government being their watchdog.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So you two like the idea of high levels of salt in your food? Should the government not monitor what's in our food? You actually trust the food companies to provide you with decent nutrition? I'd like to be assured that what I'm eating is indeed edible. Of course, that's hardly the case nowadays thanks to the influence of our food manufacturers. Take margarine for example. Margarine exists because it was created by accident. It's only a couple molecules away from plastic and has no nutritional value...but it's sold as food. How many more items are on that list? How would we ever know? What are the other 50,000 chemicals put in our foods that aren't documented?

I've always thought that giving free reign to corporations was a greater evil than the government being their watchdog.
lol But your willing to give free resign to the gov

sodium (ions) present in salt that the body requires in order to perform a variety of essential functions. Salt helps maintain the fluid in our blood cells and is used to transmit information in our nerves and muscles. It is also used in the uptake of certain nutrients from our small intestines. The body cannot make salt and so we are reliant on food to ensure that we get the required intake.

I would say it has a value that we need

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously
Don't worry, just show your voter id card, if you are a registered Repub, you can get all the salt you want.....free!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol But your willing to give free resign to the gov

sodium (ions) present in salt that the body requires in order to perform a variety of essential functions. Salt helps maintain the fluid in our blood cells and is used to transmit information in our nerves and muscles. It is also used in the uptake of certain nutrients from our small intestines. The body cannot make salt and so we are reliant on food to ensure that we get the required intake.

I would say it has a value that we need
I never said I was willing to give "free resign (sic)" to the government. Seems you've already pegged me as somebody you don't like and you want to argue.

Salt isn't a bad thing by itself, just as ice cream isn't bad by itself. But in large quantities, they're not conducive to good health. Our American diet is rife with high levels of sodium and chemical additives that are fattening. Our food production system is to blame...and our individual decisions as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

The best watchdog is one outside government. ITS CALLED THE PEOPLE and they know best what to do for themselves and their LIFE. If you dont trust the food companies make your own food and or LOOK up companies who do tell you everything and are natural.
Are eggs bad for you? the white the yellow..
Is milk bad for you?
Is water good for you?
All general information comes to the public and some of it comes from the FDA who changes its mind year to year and study to study.
Should we BAN birthday cakes, ice cream they have nothing good in them. The nanny state someday might when you put the trust into a system built to control what you do to your body and decision you must make for yourself. Dont you think the FDA is paid already to look the other way on somethings.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
They had better leave my pepper alone....

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Don't worry, just show your voter id card, if you are a registered Repub, you can get all the salt you want.....free!
Do you not like making your own choices? Just wondering

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,534 times
The majority of processed food in the US is totally overloaded with salt, MSG, sugar and high fructose corn syrup. The food companies do it to make their products cheap and addictive. They're not interested in selling people healthy nutritious food, they're interested in making fat profits (and fat people).

If this is the kind of food you like to eat then the Govt is actually going to be doing you a favour by forcing food manufacturers to cut the salt content.

And ultimately, there's nothing to stop people dousing their processed dinner with extra salt at the table if they "think" they need it. So it's hardly a case of the Govt restricting that salt intake on an individual basis.

A pretty poor issue to get all "freedom and liberty" about in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies