Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

But its no fun to interview older folks.

Spark up folks or as the kids say 'Blaze'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Moderation is the key. Not prohibition. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but again there are a lot more worse things out therethan pot. I'd still rather deal with a pot head, more than a raging alcoholic, or coke head any day!
Fairness; let me describe the citizen who smokes pot that I've never had a problem with-- he's responsible for every aspect of his life harming none. Dealers do not have a beaten path in his neighborhood. Children do not have to pay for his choices because he decided not to be a parent. Parents who regularly seek escape from reality are not good parents (no matter their poison- alcohol, mothers little helper, whatever). It's just a subtler degree of neglect. 'Moderation' is very difficult to define in the framework of writ, and for young adults to discern.

I'm only trying to point out that some actually aren't responsible, and manifest behaviors that harm the overall social fabric. Singular example: Construction trades are plagued with drug abusers. Even when sober, a lackadaisical trait among them undermines the job, injuries follow suit, and insurance/ disability claims abound. Because it's so difficult to parse out who is who, the laws have been unduly harsh on pot. The behaviors of pot smokers overlapping with other drug abusers is the line drawn badly on your sides position on the argument.

Dr bronner soaps- hemp makes me itchy as hell. Hate the stuff, but I see no point in standing in anyones way.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
But its no fun to interview older folks.

Spark up folks or as the kids say 'Blaze'
Incarcerating a 70yr old growing pot in his backyard for personal use is an embarrassment to a society that would prosecute triviality. I wince when I see that administration of the law, and if I were judge I'd feel compelled to dismiss the case instantly. What say you?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
As long as someone isn't causing harm to others with their marijuana use, I don't think public opinion should matter much.

It doesn't make sense that alcohol and nicotine are legal, but marijuana is not.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"In the poll, only 33 percent favor legalization while 55 percent oppose it. People under 30 were the only age group favoring legalization (54 percent) and opposition increased with age, topping out at 73 percent of those 65 and older. Opposition also was prevalent among women, Republicans and those in rural and suburban areas."

The Associated Press: AP-CNBC Poll: Most in US against legalizing pot
I really don't get it. How many people died last year due to smoking Pot? None. How many people died last year due to smoking tobacco? About 625,000 (Tobacco Kills 625,000 in the Americas Each Year). Yet Pot is illegal and cigarettes are fine. What do we think we are accomplishing as a society by locking up so many illegal drug users that we don't have room to keep murderers in jail for their full sentences?

For the record, I'm over 50 and haven't used illegal drugs since college.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
You know, I find it funny that the same people that say no to pot, would throw a fit if you tried to make alchohol and cigs illegal.
I find it funny that repug neocons WANT government to CONTROL the use of pot....they sure like government interference when it suits THEM

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't smoke the stuff, but I sure would like to see that multi-billion dollar industry come above-board.

Not to mention the fact that we're spending a crap-ton to prosecute and incarcerate many people whose only crime is possessing the stuff...

It'll be legal eventually. I think now'd be a mighty fine time to just get it over with.
More people's lives have been ruined by the legal system over pot than by smoking pot. Fix what is wrong.

Last edited by newonecoming; 04-20-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM

241 posts, read 267,383 times
Hmm, a poll in California, where this is actually on a ballot had the majority (56%) in favor of legalization. I honestly don't give a crap about what the rest of the country thinks.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
More people's lives have been ruined by the legal system over pot than by smoking pot. Fix what is wrong.

Yeah, but it's provided a lot of jobs for the law enforcement growth industry.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, but it's provided a lot of jobs for the law enforcement growth industry.
Is that a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies