Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times

Advertisements

I was in the same room as President Richard Nixon in 1971. Saw him in the White House and sang in a concert for him. Then watched as he signed the law lowering the voting age to 18, after the Constitutional amendment had been ratified.

Strange to see that famous face on an ordinary body. Ain't like TV.

Neither your Presidential score nor mine are all that high. But I'm ahead on points.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post

Me my wife and our daughter saw Ron Paul when he was running for president it was December of 2007 he was in South Carolina. After the rally she got his autograph on a sign just for me. Awesome night.
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Trust me...you wouldn't have gotten to touch him even if he were 6" in front of you. SS don't play.
Not so. He shook quite a few hands before heading out the other direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

Interesting question...
Were u checked by the "Secret Service "..?
What if u carried a concealed weapon ...
I don't think the security folks checking us through were Secret Service -- those were the guys surrounding the President and standing guard as he spoke. But we were checked; all purses were looked into, cameras had to be shown and we did have to pass through a metal detector, which I'm sure would have picked up a concealed weapon. There were also bomb sniffing dogs on the premises.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
I'm not sure what's more pathetic, your Beatle-esque obsession with Obama or the fact you were at a fundraiser for Barbara Boxer.

Did you almost faint?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
yes the kennedy's did get this kind of attention. all POTUS have tons of supporters. to single out obama's supporters as any more "fervent" than other POTUS supporters is "telling" and not lost on anyone. to see in person, any sitting POTUS is being an eye witness to history and pretty amazing. obama would be a thrill for me to see, bush, not so much but I would enjoy watching him work the room

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM

383 posts, read 222,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Best line of the day!!!!

The fact that Obama worship is so absurd, you can't tell if my absurd post was real or sarcastic. Love it!!!!!

Well its better to side on caution than to make a fool of myself.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM

608 posts, read 923,515 times
If ancient man was capable of bowing down to gold calves and granite statues, why can't modern man continue in its flawed ways and worship something (Obama) that gives no positive return for the worshiper's affection?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:00 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Very cool! Not so. He shook quite a few hands before heading out the other direction. I don't think the security folks checking us through were Secret Service -- those were the guys surrounding the President and standing guard as he spoke. But we were checked; all purses were looked into, cameras had to be shown and we did have to pass through a metal detector, which I'm sure would have picked up a concealed weapon. There were also bomb sniffing dogs on the premises.

Any USA Prez deserves respect & it is sad to see that the security measures for him are not state of the art.
As I understand,there was no background check of the participants,by surname.
Only on the spot check.
If someone had planted a weapon somewhere in the room..? As we see in some movies..?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Obama touched me.
Were you healed? Did the oceans recede? Did the planet heal?

Wow, the OP almost got to "touch" him! I bet that made your year.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
OMG!!!!!! How thrilling!!!! Imagine....being just feet away from Obama!!!! I can just feel his southside Chicago vibe! He is the greatest EVER!!! He da man!!!!! I've been a bit under the weather lately, if I could only be in his presence, I'm quite sure I'd be healed!!!!!!!!!!! All my job promotions, the birth of my nieces and nephews, the day I gratumalated college, my first kiss, etc all pale in comparision to meeting Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just giggly and ecstatic!!!!! That picture is the just the most incredible, bestest, out of this world, cool, fabu thing I have EVER seen.

I've just got to go pinch myself.....is it real????? Is that picture really of Obama?????? I just think I'm going to pass out, hit the floor, faint.....I'm just overcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!
Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Besides, getting close to Obama would be similar to being in the same room with Chavez, Noriega, Mao, and other famous haters of freedom and liberty. I'm not sure that would be something to be very proud of.
You forgot Castro and Noriega, his new buddies.

Last edited by sanrene; 04-20-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

Any USA Prez deserves respect & it is sad to see that the security measures for him are not state of the art.
As I understand,there was no background check of the participants,by surname.
Only on the spot check.
If someone had planted a weapon somewhere in the room..? As we see in some movies..?
[MOD CUT] You didn't ask about background checks, but I'm not sure what good that would do. Nor did you ask if our identities were confirmed before entering, which they were. And you didn't ask, nor do I know, about what measures were taken to secure the site before any guests arrived, though I'm sure those bomb sniffing dogs did the job they were hired to do, and made sure there were no bombs or guns or such stashed away inside the hall. I'm not sure why you would assume that wouldn't have happened.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies