Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 PM

86 posts, read 106,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mark of the Beast
Although I don't usually agree with religion, I focus on the moral side of this. Microchip implants will develop and it can be a potential tool for law enforcement, identification and/or crime. Think about it. Every thing about you in that little chip: Your age, height, weight, shoe size, DNA sequence...

That is a BIG threat to privacy and personal freedom. I'm afraid that one day the world might would end up in a Demolition Man scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,491,529 times
If you want quick educations on chips and where things are going, check this out...scary stuff. spychips.com - how RFID will compromise privacy, security, freedom

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
Although I don't usually agree with religion, I focus on the moral side of this. Microchip implants will develop and it can be a potential tool for law enforcement, identification and/or crime. Think about it. Every thing about you in that little chip: Your age, height, weight, shoe size, DNA sequence...

That is a BIG threat to privacy and personal freedom. I'm afraid that one day the world might would end up in a Demolition Man scenario.
More likely it would be used to track health records, financial transactions, purchases, and taxation. Remember, it has to benefit the government and be a means to control the masses. It would be a money-saver to simply scan rather than process paperwork. Some folks already volunteer to have their medical information implanted on a RFID chip. Slippery slope indeed.

It will happen soon enough. RFID has been used for years as "voluntary" in agriculture for livestock herd tracing of farm to market. One bio-security threat to the food supply could quickly turn that to mandatory: as in never waste a crisis.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
More likely it would be used to track health records, financial transactions, purchases, and taxation. Remember, it has to benefit the government and be a means to control the masses. It would be a money-saver to simply scan rather than process paperwork. Some folks already volunteer to have their medical information implanted on a RFID chip. Slippery slope indeed.

It will happen soon enough. RFID has been used for years as "voluntary" in agriculture for livestock herd tracing of farm to market. One bio-security threat to the food supply could quickly turn that to mandatory: as in never waste a crisis.
There are risks to consider. What if some hacker can fool around with the information in the chip? They can use it for identity theft, stealing credit card numbers or tracking down anybody.

Also, microchips are just as prone to viruses as computers, so it could be able to change your name or make your chip malfunction. If not the microchip, then maybe the thing where information gets transfered to, like a supercomputer.

In other words, we have to be very careful on how we program these microchips and be aware of who has the potential of abusing them.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
There are risks to consider. What if some hacker can fool around with the information in the chip? They can use it for identity theft, stealing credit card numbers or tracking down anybody.

Also, microchips are just as prone to viruses as computers, so it could be able to change your name or make your chip malfunction. If not the microchip, then maybe the thing where information gets transfered to, like a supercomputer.

In other words, we have to be very careful on how we program these microchips and be aware of who has the potential of abusing them.
I think it is technology better left outside of human application. Governments nearly always abuse power and that is where the greatest potential for abuse and mis-use lies, IMO. I am against implantation of chips for humans and their activities. It is the ultimate invasion of privacy.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think it is technology better left outside of human application. Governments nearly always abuse power and that is where the greatest potential for abuse and mis-use lies, IMO. I am against implantation of chips for humans and their activities. It is the ultimate invasion of privacy.
Absolutely. Technology is a big part of our lives. But imagine if all electronics were rendered useless and we ran out of oil. What then? How would we survive? I'm afraid for the future because the possibility of technology and biology merging together is increaseing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies