Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

This thread isn't about attacking a man who slept around, and obviously had some character issues.

Just because he cheated on his wife, doesn't take away from the fact he is a awesome golfer. Just as many people of great prominence often have flaws.

Should we be demonizing him for his character flaws? Seriously, is his private life any of our business at all?

Should we take this time to start caring less about celebrities personal issues, and only focus on what makes them famous?

I understand people see Tiger as a roll model, and they are worried about what his actions will influence in other people. However, my Dad always told me "If everyone else jumped off a building, would you do it to?" I think that if Tiger is influencing your kids to be bad people, because he was bad, then you the parent are the issue, not Tiger Woods, or any other celebrity.

To me, this whole media following him is stupid. There are bigger issues facing our country, than Tiger Woods affairs or apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
His actions have zero impact on my life, and I fail to see why they are so important to the American public as to necessitate the amount of media coverage that has occurred.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Should we be demonizing him for his character flaws? Seriously, is his private life any of our business at all?
I did not demonize the guy.

Should we take this time to start caring less about celebrities personal issues, and only focus on what makes them famous?
Um, yes. When Tiger told the media to leave his family alone, I thought this was long overdue. To me, his wife was not looking for attention, support or sympathy from the public. Regarding the appetite for celebrity news, I found that the more time I have on my hands, the more likely I am to read celebrity gossip. So I try to keep myself busy with my own personal life.

I understand people see Tiger as a roll model, and they are worried about what his actions will influence in other people. However, my Dad always told me "If everyone else jumped off a building, would you do it to?" I think that if Tiger is influencing your kids to be bad people, because he was bad, then you the parent are the issue, not Tiger Woods, or any other celebrity.
I think it is okay for kids to have celebrities as role models. It gives parents access to what interests and values they currently have. If my child loved Tiger Woods I would pay attention to the type of headlines, websites, blogs he was reading. I may watch for his reaction to news on TV. Anything to get my child to talk about their feelings, even if I don't agree, is good.

To me, this whole media following him is stupid. There are bigger issues facing our country, than Tiger Woods affairs or apologies.
While there are bigger issues facing our country, reporting on scandalous news is not all that bad. But to hound his family for what seemed an eternity, that is going too far.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Sorry, but I'm sick of trash like celebrities private lives being front page news. They are ordinary people, no better than anybody else.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,356 times
No, we shouldn't care at all. Plenty of athletes have made bad decisions, often times worse than Tiger. Two Wizards players pull guns on each other, Donte Stallworth drives drunk and kills someone, but Tiger is the real villian for cheating on his wife.

He's an athlete, not a politician. His personal life is none of our business.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Tiger Woods is a *****bag.

He needs to attend the Charles Barkley school of YEAH-I-DID-IT-SO-THE-****-WHAT?

Be a man, Tiger. You big wuss. You did it, own it.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This thread isn't about attacking a man who slept around, and obviously had some character issues.
Just because he cheated on his wife, doesn't take away from the fact he is a awesome golfer. Just as many people of great prominence often have flaws.
You can thank our 24-hour per day news channels. There has to be something shocking to report on - even if you have to create it.

Personally, I'm really disappointed in Tiger - not from a professional perspective, but geez man, how about a little self control. I hate to see a guy screwing up his family like that.

Beyond that, it really doesn't matter much to me whether he returns to golf, or gets any more or less endorsements.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,368 times
Back in the day, Black men were whipped and lynched, these days it's how dare you humiliate one of our women.

It's nobodies business and frankly if I were him I'd take the Sean Peen approach.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I don't care at all about Tiger Woods or his family problems. I thought the first line of the story "After 84 days, Tiger Woods blah blah blah" was just too weird. Someone is counting the days since he ran into a tree?

It's all so stupid.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
People love to live vicariously through others, especially celebrities. People also love to see that celebrities are actually no different than your next door neighbor when it comes to morality and personal life choices. They like to see them fall off the pedestals that the media creates for them.

I could care less what Tiger Woods does or says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies