Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Back in the 90's?

It's 20 years later, in case you haven't noticed. We are in the here and now.

How many were in favor of the mandate 20 years ago?

Is that why Hillarycare failed?

So you absolve the obama and the democrats for implementing the disastrous and illegal individual mandate?
When did 2006 and 2008 constitute "the '90s"?

Cite that the mandate that McCain, Thompson & Romney all supported, is illegal, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You got nothing, sarge.

Why does everything have to be "all or nothing" with you guys? Isn't the left the side that's always saying that things aren't just black & white, and that there are nuances, and "shades of grey?" Or are the left-wing types the only people sophisticated enough to grasp concepts that aren't purely binary?

We don't want this monstrosity of a health insurance bill that does virtually nothing to ensure that anybody that's not covered today gets covered tomorrow, so we obviously want children dying in the streets, right?

We want the government to spend our money a little more wisely, so we're against ALL safety net programs, even the ones we use, just making us all hypocrites, right?

You know, sarge, the rhetoric from you and your ilk isn't just factually wrong, it's also painfully obviously dishonest. For a military man, you're surprisingly lacking in integrity. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate your service, but I just can't respect you as a person, and that's unfortunate, because I have an almost universal and unconditional respect for anyone that's served.
I'm reading assertions here.

Have a good day.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
I do not plan on paying any penalties to the federal goverment if I do not have insurance, and there is nothing they can do to make me.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What is it about the FACT that the MANDATORY REQUIREMENT was the brainchild of THE REPUBLICANS, is so hard for you to grasp?

Spoiler
Individual health insurance mandate started as a Republican idea (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/23/1544321/individual-health-insurance-mandate.html - broken link)
"The truth is this is a Republican idea,'' said Linda Quick, president of the South Florida Hospital and Healthcare Association. She said she first heard the concept of the "individual mandate'' in a Miami speech in the early 1990s by Sen. John McCain, a conservative Republican from Arizona, to counter the "Hillarycare'' the Clintons were proposing.

McCain did not embrace the concept during his 2008 election campaign, but other leading Republicans did, including Tommy Thompson, secretary of Health and Human Services under President George W. Bush.

. . .

Among the other Republicans who had embraced the idea was Mitt Romney, who as governor of Massachusetts crafted a huge reform by requiring almost all citizens to have coverage.

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate,'' Romney wrote in The Wall Street Journal in 2006. "But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian.''
I wish you people would pick a side and stick to it for once. But instead, the Party of No strikes again. Surprise, surprise.
Hey, there's lots of brainchild carnage in Congress. some fortunately some not so. But regardless of the origin of the idea, the real question is...

What part of ObamaCare as passed was supported by and voted for by Republicans.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What is it about the FACT that the MANDATORY REQUIREMENT was the brainchild of THE REPUBLICANS, is so hard for you to grasp?
Dont change the subject.. We didnt like it then, we dont like it now!!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Hey, there's lots of brainchild carnage in Congress. some fortunately some not so. But regardless of the origin of the idea, the real question is...

What part of ObamaCare as passed was supported by and voted for by Republicans.
ZERO, NADA, ZIP, NOTHING.

Does that about cover how much responsibility Repubs have for Obamacare.

Now that bad things are coming out of this bill, it's the Repubs fault ????

ROFL. If there was a way to do it, they would try to put the blame on Bush.

Well, this is a Dem "victory". Dem Congress and a Dem President.
So suck it up and pay those taxes..YOU Dems wanted this so now you have it.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ZERO, NADA, ZIP, NOTHING.

Does that about cover how much responsibility Repubs have for Obamacare.

Now that bad things are coming out of this bill, it's the Repubs fault ????

ROFL. If there was a way to do it, they would try to put the blame on Bush.

Well, this is a Dem "victory". Dem Congress and a Dem President.
So suck it up and pay those taxes..YOU Dems wanted this so now you have it.
You said it! The ONLY good thing about this bill is that it's 100% owned by the Dems. So when it proves itself to be an unmitigated fiscal disaster (as it most assuredly will), all blame, every last ounce, will be on them. You know, kinda like the stimulus.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Too bad we didn't go with that top-notch Republican health care plan. Then we would only have had 30 million Mr. Mann's to worry about instead of 4 million. And of course it's good that, whether there is anything actually to them or not, potential problems of all sorts get bubbled up to the surface now instead of in 2014. That gives people who are a lot smarter than your typical right-winger plenty of time to look at the situation and see if something actually needs to be done about it or not...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
You said it! The ONLY good thing about this bill is that it's 100% owned by the Dems. So when it proves itself to be an unmitigated fiscal disaster (as it most assuredly will), all blame, every last ounce, will be on them. You know, kinda like the stimulus.
Did you mean the stimulus bill that took GDP from -5.4% in 2008-IV to +5.6% in 2009-IV? Or did you mean the one that turned job losses of 663,000 in March 2009 into job gains of 162,000 in March 2010?

Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I'm reading assertions here.
And?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I got it, don't want health insurance then you don't want social security or medicare either. Now, there's a tax savings!
I have one more definition for you, sarge:

Quote:
hyp·o·crite

–noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies