Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,969,192 times

Advertisements

I was at the Special Libraries Association (SLA) annual conference this week and had the pleasure of hearing Al Gore speak in person. He was absolutely awesome. There were cameras recording the event but I cannot find an online video (much to my chagrin)... there is a blog online with notes that seem pretty good (not mine, but they definitely reflect some of the major highlights and my impressions nonetheless).

He wasn't wooden at all - he was a great speaker who articulated his thoughts very well. The group of about 5000 people at the Denver Colorado Convention Center was mostly Information Professionals and he brought nearly everyone to their feet several times with applause. He was funny, inspirational, and thought provoking.

I know this forum has a boisterous conservative crowd, but I thought it would be worth sharing my impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 03:19 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,272,325 times
I don't really have a problem with Al Gore..... I'll read the summary on this when I have more time, but in retrospect I think it's safe to say we'd be in a better place right now had Gore won in 2000......

Certainly would have been nice over the last 7 years to be able to listen to a Presidential speech without cringing at the awkwardness of it... THAT is for sure...

Old 06-09-2007, 10:36 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,129,558 times
I think all this attention paid to his views on global warming and his literary insights have given him the confidence to speak more eloquently than ever. When he speaks, people listen because it's important. That doesn't describe many people nowadays. Whenever I hear Bush (to second VAFury's remark), I want to run from the room. His recent comments about Putin, "I call him Vladimir" were embarrassing. Gore should run again because he would win and he SHOULD win. I'm certainly not going to worry about the 'boisterous conservative crowd', because they have no one on their side that could hold a candle to Gore.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:40 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,681,217 times
Sure, but heard him speak about Iraq, immigration and the more important domestic issues? It's all the same--nothing new here and he sounds just like any other Democrat or Republican. So, I don't see how he could have made much of a difference if he was President today or tomorrow. The only thing he has going for him is the global warming issue.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:00 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,251,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Sure, but heard him speak about Iraq, immigration and the more important domestic issues? It's all the same--nothing new here and he sounds just like any other Democrat or Republican. So, I don't see how he could have made much of a difference if he was President today or tomorrow.

The only thing he has going for him is the global warming issue.
And that's debatable
If that is all he has going for him maybe it's best he stay out of the election. Better to be remembered as a one-time loser than a two.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,969,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
And that's debatable
If that is all he has going for him maybe it's best he stay out of the election. Better to be remembered as a one-time loser than a two.
Much to the audience's disappointment he described how he was most likely to stay out of the next election because he feels like he has more influence when it comes to the international global warming issue outside of the presidency. He seemed genuinely concerned for the future and the legacy we were going to pass on to our children and grandchildren and said he really wanted to focus on averting the coming disaster which would lead to two potential reactions of our descendants: 1) a question - why didn't you/they with all the science and knowledge at their fingertips continue to act to selfishly/destructively? or 2) thankfully everyone mobilized and changed everything so that our lives would be better.

Regarding Gore being a one-time loser - well he actually won the U.S. popular vote so it all depends on your view. Perhaps you're happy with the way things have been run for the past few years of our current president. The changes I've seen haven't made my life any better - massive outsourcing of white collar jobs, healthcare costs which more than tripled, fuel prices which have also tripled, food costs which have gone up and up, premature expenditure of my social security contributions, personal corporate pension elimination, an economy which is not booming here or anywhere I have family right now, international relations which appear to be failing, loss of friends in a continuing war which fundamentally hasn't been justified, and the value of US dollar continues to decrease in comparison to other countries. There's probably a few more things, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM

451 posts, read 834,622 times
There are very few people of capable of giving me a true deep down belly laugh. Al Gore is one of them. To this day when ever I hear his "He betrayed our country --HE PLAYED ON OUR FEARS!!!!" rant I laugh. Even thinking about it makes me smile.

HE PLAYED ON OUR FEARS!!! LOL!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,454,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
There are very few people of capable of giving me a true deep down belly laugh. Al Gore is one of them. To this day when ever I hear his "He betrayed our country --HE PLAYED ON OUR FEARS!!!!" rant I laugh. Even thinking about it makes me smile.

HE PLAYED ON OUR FEARS!!! LOL!
I hope that someday we’ll be able to look back and belly-laugh about this, but for now it’s genuinely tragic that so many people allowed the fear tactics to consume them and permitted the reinstallation of this administration as front men for the cartel.

Yes, I am looking forward to looking back and remembering, but I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to laugh about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM

451 posts, read 834,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
I hope that someday we’ll be able to look back and belly-laugh about this, but for now it’s genuinely tragic that so many people allowed the fear tactics to consume them and permitted the reinstallation of this administration as front men for the cartel.

Yes, I am looking forward to looking back and remembering, but I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to laugh about it.
I can't imagine how hard life must be for you. Please accept my condolences, and a sincere wish that you will be able to look back some far off day and atleast smile.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,464,084 times
9 of 12 warmest years for Denver occurred before 1955...

....and then there was the Dust Bowl era

oh where oh where was Gore then?

Gore smore he has just found a fast track to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies