Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM

383 posts, read 222,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
invading what counrty under what false pretense???? iraq???

you mean this false pretense????>.........

As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (Democrat, California)
Statement on US Led Military Strike Against Iraq
December 16, 1999
--------------------

I come to this debate, Mr. Speaker, as one at the end of 10 years in office on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, where stopping the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction was one of my top priorities. I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. ... Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons."
Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (Democrat, California)
Addressing the US House of Representatives
October 10, 2002
Congressional Record, p. H7777
Yep it was false. He kept claiming there were weapons of mass destruction and their were not.

I am assuming you think I am a democrat? I am not I am not a democrat nor a republican I hate them both I hate clinton,bush and obama. I usually vote 3rd party never vote democrat sometimes vote republican if they fit what I want in office. Just because I am bashing bush does not make me a democrat just someone who really hated the idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Estimates back then was that the cost would be maybe $1.5 billion and last maybe 6 weeks (Rumsfeld's words) and some were saying the oil revenue would pay for the whole thing.
And yet they authorized hundreds of billions.. Go figure.. (btw, do you want to find a quote of BUSH saying oil revenues would pay for the whole thing? After all, if you want to ignore Pelosi, and other Democratic statements which led up to the war, and only focus on Bushs' then lying about things Bush didnt say is dishonest)
p.s. do you want to backup that $1.5B claim, because Clinton sent far more bombs into Iraq pre war than Bush ever did..
The Raw Story | Clinton bombing of Iraq far exceeded Bush's in run-up to war; Bush 'spikes of activity' questioned
Quote:
Nancy Pelosi many have authorized spending for "use of force," but it was George Bush who made the decision to invade Iraq. No one in Congress Republican or Democrat made that decision. Yes, he made that decision alone.
Surely you arent telling me that they didnt understand that an authorization to go to war, along with the money to do so, didnt equate to a backing on taking action.. Are you telling me Congress is this incompetent that they dont understand? If they didnt want to authorize force, they could have approved of action, but not FUNDED IT..

Do you understand how someone WRITING A CHECK is permission? Please stop with the non stop spinning because its getting sad..

Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's seems to be a given that The Bush Dynasty will put forth one more son to hold the office of President to push forward ,or finalize, the Bush agenda.

My money says (shudder! ) that Jeb Bush will "come out of the woodwork" to become the president in 2012 after the public forgets the crimes of brother George.

This story is from 2008 but I believe what is says is a prediction of things to come.......

"Others suggest that a Democratic victory this year would help Mr. Bush make a political comeback in four years.

Susan MacManus, who headed a health care advisory board in the governor's administration, said that "Bush fatigue" will diminish over time.

In the interim, she said, Mr. Bush could ease back into national politics, traveling the country to raise money for political candidates and state parties, much as Ronald Reagan did in his wilderness years.

In 2012, Jeb Bush will turn 59 – prime time for a run at the presidency.

"The reality is, there's a huge number of Republicans already printing 'Jeb in 2012' or 'Jeb in 2016' bumper stickers," Mr. Doster said. "And until he comes out and affirmatively says he will never be a candidate in the future, it's something people here in Florida believe will happen.""
What George Bush crimes? Did Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton suffer for the likes of their brothers? And those brothers were real losers.

I like Jeb Bush. He has real life business experience and governor leadership experience. From one of my own previous posts:

Worked in International finance for a bank and opened an operation for the bank in Venezuela.
Worked for a mobile phone company.
Sold fire equipment for the Alaskan pipeline.
Bought a shoe company that sold shoes in Panama.
Sold water pumps in Nigeria.
Was State Secretary of Commerce.
Sold real estate and then became a partner.
Started a non-profit think tank on public policy.
Has a degree in Latin American Affairs.
Is a proponent of school vouchers.
Is an active rock climber.
Is sceptical about man-made global warming.
Signed legislation to protect land in his state and set aside more than one million acres of land for conservation.
Married a Mexican woman.
Was a campaign manager for a Cuban-American who ran successfully for Congress.
Is Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Long-time supporter of Israel.
Says no national sales tax or VAT.
Says reward merit.
Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment.
Completed two full terms as governor and picked up additional counties in his second term.
Never commuted any prisoner's sentence in his 8 years as governor.
Adopted Three-Strike Violent Felony Offender Act
Left office with a 60% approval rating.
First Governor to receive Urban Innovator Award for Education Reform
Initiated innovative state Medicaid reforms.
Cumulative reduction in taxes of $19 billion.
Had black support for his focus on public education and parental choice.
Co-founded the first charter school in his state along with a black activist.
Ended affirmative action at state colleges but employed highly qualified women, blacks and other minorities in top-level government positions more than any previous governor in his state.
Approved 3 new medical schools as governor.

After the Democrat takeover of Congress in 2006 (before it was the "in" thing to do), Jeb Bush told a conservative summit this:

"We lost, and there are significant reasons that happened, but it isn't because conservatives were rejected. It's because we rejected the conservative philosophy in this country...don't abandon conservative principles…we don't need to be the end all and be all for every special interest group, for every constituent that you like, for every person that's given a fundraising check to your campaign, for everything that is just wrong about public policy and politics”.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Special Report Roundtable - January 30

Currently runs two foundations and a consulting firm and sits on a healthcare board.
Think tank mission is global leadership by American companies.
Currently in the news as still pulling legislative strings in his state.
The Democrats call Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush's ideological heir.

Compared to Obama, Jeb Bush actually has a resume and experience.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
Yep it was false. He kept claiming there were weapons of mass destruction and their were not.
1) The claims were begun FAR before Bush ever became president.
2) There indeed were WMD's.. WE GAVE THEM TO HIM..
3) WMD's were indeed found, they were just no longer viable..

Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Who else have the Republicans got? Jeb is probably the one with the least amount of controversy around him at this point. And that's saying something.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What George Bush crimes? Did Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton suffer for the likes of their brothers? And those brothers were real losers.

I like Jeb Bush. He has real life business experience and governor leadership experience. From one of my own previous posts:

Worked in International finance for a bank and opened an operation for the bank in Venezuela.
Worked for a mobile phone company.
Sold fire equipment for the Alaskan pipeline.
Bought a shoe company that sold shoes in Panama.
Sold water pumps in Nigeria.
Was State Secretary of Commerce.
Sold real estate and then became a partner.
Started a non-profit think tank on public policy.
Has a degree in Latin American Affairs.
Is a proponent of school vouchers.
Is an active rock climber.
Is sceptical about man-made global warming.
Signed legislation to protect land in his state and set aside more than one million acres of land for conservation.
Married a Mexican woman.
Was a campaign manager for a Cuban-American who ran successfully for Congress.
Is Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Long-time supporter of Israel.
Says no national sales tax or VAT.
Says reward merit.
Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment.
Completed two full terms as governor and picked up additional counties in his second term.
Never commuted any prisoner's sentence in his 8 years as governor.
Adopted Three-Strike Violent Felony Offender Act
Left office with a 60% approval rating.
First Governor to receive Urban Innovator Award for Education Reform
Initiated innovative state Medicaid reforms.
Cumulative reduction in taxes of $19 billion.
Had black support for his focus on public education and parental choice.
Co-founded the first charter school in his state along with a black activist.
Ended affirmative action at state colleges but employed highly qualified women, blacks and other minorities in top-level government positions more than any previous governor in his state.
Approved 3 new medical schools as governor.

After the Democrat takeover of Congress in 2006 (before it was the "in" thing to do), Jeb Bush told a conservative summit this:

"We lost, and there are significant reasons that happened, but it isn't because conservatives were rejected. It's because we rejected the conservative philosophy in this country...don't abandon conservative principles…we don't need to be the end all and be all for every special interest group, for every constituent that you like, for every person that's given a fundraising check to your campaign, for everything that is just wrong about public policy and politics”.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Special Report Roundtable - January 30

Currently runs two foundations and a consulting firm and sits on a healthcare board.
Think tank mission is global leadership by American companies.
Currently in the news as still pulling legislative strings in his state.
The Democrats call Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush's ideological heir.

Compared to Obama, Jeb Bush actually has a resume and experience.
You sound like a working active supporter of Jeb and that's fine since you have the right to do so. However, I wonder if 8 years of George didn't spoil the soup for Jeb.

All I know is I hope this time people don't fall for the ideology that will be pumped out by both sides during the upcoming 2012 races and get involved to keep their candidate honest and on the ball.

Don't let the right wing neo-cons steal this race like they did in 2000 & 2004.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you understand how someone WRITING A CHECK is permission? Please stop with the non stop spinning because its getting sad..
What I understand is you trying to pin the invasion of Iraq on somebody other than President Bush. He is the person responsible for that decision, no one else. And it's you that is doing the spinning.

George Bush wanted to invade Iraq even before he took office:

Quote:
"I'll tell you, he was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999," Herskowitz told Baker. "One of the things he said to me, is `One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, `My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of (Kuwait) and he wasted it. "He said, `If I have a chance to invade Iraq, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency.' "
ELECTION 2004 / Writer says Bush talked about war in 1999 / Herskowitz's comments posted on Internet site 11/01/2004 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
What I understand is you trying to pin the invasion of Iraq on somebody other than President Bush. He is the person responsible for that decision, no one else. And it's you that is doing the spinning.
I dont think I've said Bush didnt hold responsibility for that decision, but he CAN NOT MAKE THAT DECISION WITHOUT CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL... AND FUNDING.. Bush could have wanted to blowup the moon for all it matters, if he doesnt have the money, or the congressional approval, i.e. the law behind his wishes, its nothing more than a wet dream..
and? Anything other than some guy trying to push a book talking about Bushs wet dreams?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
and? Anything other than some guy trying to push a book talking about Bushs wet dreams?
You didn't read the link, did you? He had no book to push.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You didn't read the link, did you? He had no book to push.
I know all about the claim.. Its over 5 years old and not new.. He has pushed numerous books.. The mans an author who's published over 50 books, including one he co-authored with George Bush himself in 2001..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies