Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it isn't how many white illegal, it is there is white illegal and this law doesn't really seem to take that into account.
How does it not take it into account? The law has no statements whatsoever in it that define it is specifically for any particular skin color or nationality.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What makes you think that this law allows that?
Read my follow up post before responding next time, please.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
How does it not take it into account? The law has no statements whatsoever in it that define it is specifically for any particular skin color or nationality.

the law should be applied to all citizens. no matter what color. I doubt very seriously the law will be looking at white folks to be illegal as the previous poster mentioned. so a law that allows for the law to discount a huge portion of the population based on their fair skin to be exempt is not a good law. the law is aimed at people of color in reality.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,468,946 times
In reality most of the illegals are not fair skinned. It is what it is.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the law should be applied to all citizens. no matter what color. I doubt very seriously the law will be looking at white folks to be illegal as the previous poster mentioned. so a law that allows for the law to discount a huge portion of the population based on their fair skin to be exempt is not a good law. the law is aimed at people of color in reality.
I don't agree. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've met some white folks who were not here legally. Now they are gone, as they were caught. This law just makes it easier to do the catching.

The bill itself actually has statements that no complaints will be investigated if they are based solely on race.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
In reality most of the illegals are not fair skinned. It is what it is.
When it comes to the Constitution words like majority, most, a whole bunch or more than you can shake a stick at are totally irrelevant. You simply cannot cast a wide net based upon a persons race, ethnicity, or national origin. What this law will do in effect is establish a class of individuals who will be disproportionately singled out for no other reason than their race, or color.

As I have pointed out, and will continue to point out, Puerto Ricans, are natural born citizens, and the vast majority of Puerto Ricans do not speak english as their first language, something that I doubt that a large percentage of police officers are aware of. As citizens they are not required to carry nor even to possess a form of identification that would signify their citizenship. Why should they be burdened by this law for no other reason than their ethnicity?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
Isn't it better to issue ID cards to all citizens and everyone should show it when asked?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I don't agree. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've met some white folks who were not here legally. Now they are gone, as they were caught. This law just makes it easier to do the catching.

The bill itself actually has statements that no complaints will be investigated if they are based solely on race.

we do manage to catch a few illegals now. just because the "law" states it won't abuse the citizens does not mean that doesn't happen. we will always have a certain percentage of overly ambitious law enforcement. this bill will make it all the more easier for them, their target will not not be applied across the board at both white and dark people but allow them to concentrate on the few. the example ovcatto just made an excellent point concerning puerto ricans. this is a bias law.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Isn't it better to issue ID cards to all citizens and everyone should show it when asked?

sure it is, if you don't mind here in a free country, being tapped on the shoulder by a policemen telling you to show your papers and by law having to relinquish them just because the law wanted to see them

Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Does it hurt being that narrowminded?

I mean how do you interact with people? If a cop asks you for something, which is paramountly about race, then they had to look you your person at somepoint during the conversation.

If I'm a cop, then I'm the one who needs to determine legality of a person, who is most likely, like 90% gonna be hispanic. How do I engage them, I'll have to LOOK at them, then ask for ID. It's a sequential process-which is the problem with the law.

New solution, why don't we all walk around in burkas like Muslim women in Afghanistan. That way we can't be judged, we'll all be equal.
Law enforcement officers almost ALWAYS ask for ID.
Pulled over? Ask for ID
Witness something pertinent to an investigation to a crime? Ask for ID while getting statement
Found drunk and passed out in the middle of the street? Get ID

In some cases, you are not required to provide, in some you are. Either way, you will usually be asked during most encounters with law enforcement. It has NOTHING to do with skin color.

Now, if you give the officer reason to believe you do not belong here, they can check your status. Seeing that your name is Gonzalez and you have brown skin is not qualification to have your status checked.

Somehow I think the arguments against this bill would be non-existent if the situation was exactly as it is now, but instead of the illegal immigrants coming from the south, they are coming from the north. Think about that. Lets say our problem is millions of Canadians illegally entering our country. They are mostly caucasian. The problems would be the same. The laws would be the same.

Race is only an issue here because people want it to be an issue. "Playing the race card" - race baiting is what perpetuates racism in this country. Most whites I know care nothing of race, but are called racist by others when they don't agree with them. THAT is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies