Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This should make you proud. 25 people acting as you would.
Obviously--I'm not the only person who sees it this way.

It's not like my attitude is out of the ordinary--people act in their own self-interest...get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
It's New York!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
It amazes me that this could happen. It makes me glad I live in Maine, where people do seem to care enough about each other to lend a helping hand.

I was almost in an accident one day. Two cars collided as one was making a left turn. I was beside the one turning left. I looked in the mirror to see what had happened, and turned around asap to see if everyone was OK. But by the time I got turned around (90 seconds tops) there were already about 5 other vehicles stopped to help out the drivers and passengers.

Such is the difference in rural life and city life I suppose. No wonder I hate cities!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times
At first glance, it's easy to to read this story and be aghast at the lack of response and compassion displayed. But, anyone who has lived in an urban environment has seen a homeless dude sleeping on the streets. Yeah, they normally aren't lying in the middle of the sidewalk as in this case, but it wouldn't surprise me if many of the passer-bys just thought it was a drunk homeless guy passed out on the sidewalk. A dime a dozen if you will. Now for the ones that physically moved him and didn't respond, I have no justification for their actions.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 AM

177 posts, read 256,619 times
By the way -

This Hero was a Guatemalan Immigrant.

You know, the people that you white people love to hate.

Just think of what would have happened to that woman if NYC passed had a law like that racist law just passed in Arizona.

He came here and give his life for his fellow man. He did not stop to see if the woman being mugged was white, or brown, or black, or green, before he intervened.

He didn't have to don a uniform to serve this country.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
The ensuing responses to this thread will be a mix of moral outrage (a bunch of people saying how despicable it is, because their indignity on the internet makes them a better person) and people blaming conservatives/liberals.

And to not be a troll, it's good ole' diffusion of responsibility, just like it was with Kitty Genovese (in Queens, nonetheless). It doesn't make it right at all, but that's the truth.
This is worse than Kitty Genovese. Most neighbors actually thought it was a couple arguing and several neighbors that realized what was going on DID call the cops, but in those days they did not have 911, so they had to find the precinct you wanted to report a crime. In a city with over 100 police stations, this isn't exactly easy.

What happened here was pure indifference with no direct threat.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Obviously--I'm not the only person who sees it this way.

It's not like my attitude is out of the ordinary--people act in their own self-interest...get used to it.
True. Some people don't seem to understand that the survival of the whole is required for the survival of the individual. Some folks are so wrapped up in their own arrogance they don't understand that human greatness comes from weakness and not strength. Uncivilized people understand that no one can survive alone while the more cultured and civilized think a can of food grows on store shelves at night and never notice the complex architecture of humans working together so that one can survive another day. These are the enlightened people who enjoy the arts and what they describe as the finer things in life who are far too busy expanding their own superior selves to call 911 for a stranger dying on the street. Of course they can stop to take pictures.

Though I've been through some real crap in life, I'm still not dead on the inside and refuse to get used to it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
This is very sad. Everyone says "well, it's New York" but unfortunately it isn't only in New York where people act like this.

Recently in my town (upper midwest city), a man jumped off a highway overpass (he committed suicide). It was in the local online edition of the city's paper. His body had laid in the road during morning rush hour and people just drove around him. A woman finally blocked the freeway and his body with her car until EMS arrived. User comments from those who had witnessed it were mostly of annoyance that emergency vehicles had slowed down traffic.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
[shrug] Business as usual--it's none of their business, so they are not compelled to act.
Agreed 100%...if he didnt want to be left for dead he should have put up a better fight or stayed out of it...but he chose to act commendably, and the consequences arent always pretty...but I cant really expect everyone to come to a standstill just because he made that decision and decided that was a risk he was willing to take.

cant say I would stop what I was doing either to help some guy rolling around on the ground just because he may or may not be injured.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
Sadly if you live in a metropolitan area, you see guys like this every other block and you just become conditioned to avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies