U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 AM

18,675 posts, read 14,791,133 times

Advertisements

While I never really thought the GOP will pick up as many seats as some people suggest I have thought they would do quite well in November and cut the Democrats majorities quite a bit. This whole obstructionist path they are currently on and blocking even debating this bill I think will come back to bite them in the ass in November. The potential for big GOP gains might be thrown out the window if they continue to fight this and continue to block this. They probably have done damage to themselves already and the longer they hold out and block even debate the more they will cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:29 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,723,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
While I never really thought the GOP will pick up as many seats as some people suggest I have thought they would do quite well in November and cut the Democrats majorities quite a bit. This whole obstructionist path they are currently on and blocking even debating this bill I think will come back to bite them in the ass in November. The potential for big GOP gains might be thrown out the window if they continue to fight this and continue to block this. They probably have done damage to themselves already and the longer they hold out and block even debate the more they will cause.
There are some signs that the Repubs, well maybe one, that this will go to debate. GS did not do anything illegal, wrong probably, but not illegal. It points out, why there needs to be significant reform in oversight and regulation, in the Industry. Not to stifle it, but to restrain the propensity of excessive greed. We need the Repubs to help in developing that reform. Perhaps today, we will see the process move forward. The American people are getting extremely tired of the Senate inaction, and they know why.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Republicans Block Debate on Financial reform Bill for third time, Dems to keep Senate open all night

For the third straight day the GOP blocked Debating the Financial Reform Bill, though it appears cracks are starting to form. The Dems are planning to keep the Senate open all night and hold constant votes on opening up Debate. Kudos to Reid for finally growing a pair.

Quote:
Frustrated by an ongoing campaign by the GOP to block debate on financial reform legislation, Democrats plan to hold the Senate floor open all night, potentially holding repeated votes to break the filibuster, or forcing Republicans to publicly object to debating their bill. But the move comes just as Republicans appear closer than ever to throwing in the towel.

"The voting is up to the Majority Leader, how often they vote," Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin told reporters after Republicans, for the third straight day, voted in lockstep to prevent debate on the Democrats' bill. "Staying in session? Making unanimous consent requests? Those things are all options.... Votes may be recurring regularly."
Pounce! Dems To Keep Senate Open All Night To Force GOP Hand On Financial Reform | TPMDC

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,558,798 times
And the bank stocks are up today, helping the stock holders and those with retirement funds. You know the little guys, the old people etc!

They can keep the debate open all night long, but I suggest Republicans go home and get some sleep so they can wake up laughing at the Democrats for sitting in Congress whining all night long!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And the bank stocks are up today, helping the stock holders and those with retirement funds. You know the little guys, the old people etc!

They can keep the debate open all night long, but I suggest Republicans go home and get some sleep so they can wake up laughing at the Democrats for sitting in Congress whining all night long!

Not quite, if the GOP doesn't show and just goes home, the Democrats would get the votes they need in order to begin debate.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not quite, if the GOP doesn't show and just goes home, the Democrats would get the votes they need in order to begin debate.
I dont believe that to be the case, or they would just hold "secret" votes on things they want and then claim it passed. I think a TOTAL yes vote.. not a % in attendance..

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,723,632 times
Quote:
I dont believe that to be the case, or they would just hold "secret" votes on things they want and then claim it passed. I think a TOTAL yes vote.. not a % in attendance..
Actually, Sen Chambliss of Ga, reported on CNN, the Repubs will move forward. They won't block the next vote.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM

1. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the Senators duly chosen and sworn. 2. No Senator shall absent himself from the service of the Senate without leave. 3. If, at any time during the daily sessions of the Senate, a question shall be raised by any Senator as to the presence of a quorum, the Presiding Officer shall forthwith direct the Secretary to call the roll and shall announce the result, and these proceedings shall be without debate. 4. Whenever upon such roll call it shall be ascertained that a quorum is not present, a majority of the Senators present may direct the Sergeant at Arms to request, and, when necessary, to compel the attendance of the absent Senators, which order shall be determined without debate; and pending its execution, and until a quorum shall be present, no debate nor motion, except to adjourn, or to recess pursuant to a previous order entered by unanimous consent, shall be in order.

QUORUM - ABSENT SENATORS MAY BE SENT FOR - Rules of the Senate - United States Senate Committee on Rules and Administration

yep, they need them to be present and without them, they can not move forward.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Actually, Sen Chambliss of Ga, reported on CNN, the Repubs will move forward. They won't block the next vote.
Do you know what they changed from the bill to allow it to move forward? I know Republicans have wanted a bill to proceed, but not the bill that was proposed..

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
1. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the Senators duly chosen and sworn. 2. No Senator shall absent himself from the service of the Senate without leave. 3. If, at any time during the daily sessions of the Senate, a question shall be raised by any Senator as to the presence of a quorum, the Presiding Officer shall forthwith direct the Secretary to call the roll and shall announce the result, and these proceedings shall be without debate. 4. Whenever upon such roll call it shall be ascertained that a quorum is not present, a majority of the Senators present may direct the Sergeant at Arms to request, and, when necessary, to compel the attendance of the absent Senators, which order shall be determined without debate; and pending its execution, and until a quorum shall be present, no debate nor motion, except to adjourn, or to recess pursuant to a previous order entered by unanimous consent, shall be in order.

QUORUM - ABSENT SENATORS MAY BE SENT FOR - Rules of the Senate - United States Senate Committee on Rules and Administration

yep, they need them to be present and without them, they can not move forward.
A quorum is a majority, the Dems have the majority. So if the GOP + Ben Nelson doesn't show up its still a quorum. Regardless, it looks like the GOP is ending filibustering debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies