U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM

18,396 posts, read 14,361,014 times

Advertisements

For the 2nd day in a row Republicans again block even DEBATING the financial reform bill. The bill once again failed 57-41 Evan Bayh, D-Indiana and Bob Bennett R-Utah did not vote. All Democrats with the exception of Ben Nelson voted in favor of starting debate, all Republicans voted against starting debate.

Senate financial reform vote fails a second day - U.S. business- msnbc.com

Last edited by Smash255; 04-27-2010 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: slight correction to vote count
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:32 PM

18,396 posts, read 14,361,014 times
The filibuster might not hold for long. George Voinovich of Ohio has stated he will likely vote in favor of a filibuster tomorrow if no deal is reached, however if no breakthrough is reached soon he will likely vote with the Dems to start debate on the bill.

With Ben Nelson voting to filibuster debate the Dems would either need to get Nlson back in their camp or get one more GOP vote other than Voinovich. Corker who isn't optimistic about reaching a deal on the bill hasn't said whether or not he will vote with the Dems are not. Other possibilities are Collins, Snowe or Brown.

Quote:
Bipartisan Wall Street reform negotiations appeared on the brink of collapse Tuesday night after Republican and Democratic principals found themselves at an impasse over the issue of consumer financial protection. But though Republicans have been promising all week to sustain a filibuster, blocking debate on the Democrats' legislation, they now seem prepared to cede the current fight, explicitly saying that, if talks don't bear fruit soon, they'll allow the bill to move to the floor.
Financial Reform Talks Near Collapse, Some GOPers Threaten To Defect | TPMDC

The article doesn't mention Collins, Snowe or Brown, but are my thoughts on who might eventually agree to debating the bill.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:39 PM

9,646 posts, read 8,156,924 times
No democrat voted with republicans?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM

29,404 posts, read 14,872,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The filibuster might not hold for long. George Voinovich of Ohio has stated he will likely vote in favor of a filibuster tomorrow if no deal is reached, however if no breakthrough is reached soon he will likely vote with the Dems to start debate on the bill.

With Ben Nelson voting to filibuster debate the Dems would either need to get Nlson back in their camp or get one more GOP vote other than Voinovich. Corker who isn't optimistic about reaching a deal on the bill hasn't said whether or not he will vote with the Dems are not. Other possibilities are Collins, Snowe or Brown.

Financial Reform Talks Near Collapse, Some GOPers Threaten To Defect | TPMDC

The article doesn't mention Collins, Snowe or Brown, but are my thoughts on who might eventually agree to debating the bill.
Why are you people so in favor of this? There is notihng good to come out of this. Whenever the government seeks to "regulate" more, it winds up being bad for America, and for taxpayers.

The fact is, the government is in bed with Goldman Sachs. Obama has many ex-Goldman Sachs execs. in his administration, and this whole financial regulation bill is a ruse to make you think they care. They don't.

Americans will be the losers in the end. It's always that way.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,303,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why are you people so in favor of this? There is notihng good to come out of this. Whenever the government seeks to "regulate" more, it winds up being bad for America, and for taxpayers.

The fact is, the government is in bed with Goldman Sachs. Obama has many ex-Goldman Sachs execs. in his administration, and this whole financial regulation bill is a ruse to make you think they care. They don't.

Americans will be the losers in the end. It's always that way.
Shouldn't they start the debate so we can see if this is true? The republicans are acting like they have something to hide.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 PM

86,101 posts, read 68,063,824 times
I think they should debate this bill. We want to see what's in this bill come to light via debates.

I'm all for derivative regulation and public trading. Other parts I'm against and think it's just more bodies with no meat.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,153,307 times
Ok so the rich donate approx. 80% of the times to Dems......So how is it that everytime some dumb schuck of a Dem. politican gets on T.V......He say "Rep. are in bed with Wall st and rich"?...............Huhhhhhh

Its a fact that Wall st donates to Dem. far more then Rep.

Its much more understanding when you look at this financal mess and see Frank/Dodd and Chucky Schumer who receive massive amounts of money from these Wall st people..

See let me tell you what I think is going on....Obama has ALOT.....ALOT of Goldman Sachs people working in his W.H. and this is all a show to deflect and make all the fools in the country think hes actually doing something about Wall st. when hes not..

Obama: I am going to have my boys really hammer you in public (wink,wink)..just make like your sorry.

Last week R. Emanual had a secret meeting with heads of G.S. in the w.H...............Why?

More Dem. B.S.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,008,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think they should debate this bill. We want to see what's in this bill come to light via debates.

I'm all for derivative regulation and public trading. Other parts I'm against and think it's just more bodies with no meat.
Debating sure brought to light all the stuff in the health care hog didn't it? It worked so well the Democrats are now trying to pass another bill that does part of what they said the first one should have.
ObamaCare Mulligan: Readying Price Controls for Insurance - WSJ.com

Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM

4,457 posts, read 3,515,061 times
I also do not think that finding out things about these Bills (the real cost) a month after they are passed that would probably have made a big difference in it's passing is good for America either.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM

86,101 posts, read 68,063,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Debating sure brought to light all the stuff in the health care hog didn't it? It worked so well the Democrats are now trying to pass another bill that does part of what they said the first one should have.
ObamaCare Mulligan: Readying Price Controls for Insurance - WSJ.com
I disagree with you. They didn't debate it really..2 Dems and the President in closed door meetings ? Then the amendment right into a vote ?

Not that a debate will fix it mind you..but at least it will have the bill out on the website for a day or two so some can read it and hope an amendment won't come in at 4AM on the day of the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies