Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM

412 posts, read 404,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah we better outlaw this because it can harm us. We cant have the ability to make the choice to take the risk and eat it. Having depression could cause our medical bills to go up having to pay for maybe a federal employee having to get treatment for depression.

I mean that is the logic with anything liberals dont agree with.
'
Personal choice and personal responsibility is out the window. Liberals make our choices for us and tell us what we can and cant do

Or they can just tax it and control is that way thats a liberal mo
I suppose you support legalizing Thalidomide, heroine, cocaine, or asbestos for home construction. I mean, that is your logic, that banning substances causing birth defects, lung cancer, and severe addiction is just as stupid as banning chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The study doesn't seem to differentiate between cause and effect.

It could be that folks who tended to be more depressed ate more chocolate.

It could be a byproduct, not a cause.

Typical for what passes for reporting in the media today.
exactly. chicken or egg.
Study finds that people who rate higher on a depression scale tend to eat more chocolate - Wellness - TIME.com

in any case, no.. chocolate should not be banned.

signed,
not a chocolate fan

Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
If they ever did ban chocolate, I'd just start stockpiling raw cocoa--find a good supplier in the Ivory Coast, and rise to the top ala Tony Montana.

"In this country first you get the cocoa, then you get the power, then you get the women!"

Last edited by Deezus; 04-27-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
you do that and alota women are guna break your fingers.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If they ever did ban chocolate, I'd just start stockpiling raw cocoa--find a good supplier in the Ivory Coast, and rise to the top ala Tony Montana.

"In this country first you get the cocoa, then you get the power, then you get the women!"
That's the spirit

("Oh yes, you may stray, but you'll always return to your dark master... the cocoa bean")

Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Well there have also been many many studies on the benefits of HEALTHY DARK CHOCOLATE.
Dark Chocolate contains flavonoids, and they act as a antioxdant and protect the body from aging caused by those pesky free radicals. They also contain 8 times more antioxdants then strawberries or other fruits. Flavonoids are noted for relaxing your blood pressure and balancing certain horomones in the body. Dark chocolate is good for your heart, many studies done on this subject. It is good for the cardiovascualr system. Dark chocolate also lowers blood pressure, studies confirm this information, and also lowers blood pressure. Also lowers cholesterol. It is also known for stimulating the endorphin production, which everyone knows signals PLEASURE so make sure and have that dark chocolate. Dark Chocolate also contains Serotonin, which is knows to act as a anti depressant. So besides from those health benefits, it also taste GOOD. Don't take my dark chololate away!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
There might be something to this. I like dark chocolate once in a while and can justify it for the health benefits. But I know of at least one person who's addicted to chocolate, eats it every day and is a very depressed person.
It could be the few minute high of the chocolate that they need or that the chocolate does cause depression and a mental fugue( in this case) like that study suggests( counteracting fatty acids like those found in fish that the brain needs).
I worry more about those so called energy drinks and high caffeine and sugar laced sodas so many kids and young people gulp down. That garbage is going to wreak havoc on their bodies in only a matter of time.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So you support marijuana legalization, correct? Or is that to much of a Republican issue for you?
One is a drug one is food

Heck lets legalize Cocaine, Heroin, Meth You name it lets make it legal

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Chocolate lovers, here come the food police. Wait till the salt fights are over, you're next.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
I suppose you support legalizing Thalidomide, heroine, cocaine, or asbestos for home construction.
Thalidomide is not actually illegal, it is just tightly controlled. It's used as a treatment for leprosy and multiple myeloma.

As for this study - the article which I read said that it does not indicate whether chocolate causes depression or if depressed people are simply more likely to eat chocolate. Coorelation does not automatically equate to causation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies