Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 AM

218 posts, read 239,535 times

Advertisements

The irony is strong in this thread. The OP advocates education, but resorts to a copy and paste job from wiki, instead of using his/her brain to formulate their own thoughts.

Additionally, its not like the Democratic Platform is esoteric knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Giving "handouts" or providing educational opportunity to poor people is bad while giving crop subsidies to millionaire farmers is good. Hand outs to Democrats is terrible and handouts to Republicans is good. According to the Republican dogma government money is wasted on the lower classes and should always be spent on the financial class. Than that has, gets and them that has nothing pays sales taxes.

This is why I disrespect Republicans and their corrupt Party.
Wow. If this isn't the Mother of All Generalizations, then I don't know what is. I bet you dollar for dollar, for every link supporting your assertion, I can come up with a counter link proving that Democrats share the blame for these policies.

Care to take me up on this offer?

I didn't think so.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The education part is a big deal to me. But to be honest I just want to be able to smoke weed whenever I want and not worry about getting pinched.
If education, as opposed to indoctrination, were a big deal to you then you would run as far away from the Democrat Party as you could. Please do not confuse the Dem support of teachers' unions as support for education. If they were synonymous we would have the best-educated kids in the world because the unions extract ungodly sums from taxpayers for "education" but precious little education is happening. Indeed the more money we spend on "education" the less competitive our kids become worldwide.In effect the teachers' unions are using our kids as human shields--daring us to do something about the unjustifiably high costs of public education. A monopoly, whether in the private or the public sector, leads to stagnation. That's what we have now in the guise of education.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Well, they still do more for education than the right (see Reagan education cuts)

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
...and use a system of progressive taxation, eh?

More like progressive politics.

Quote:
monkeywrenching
"No one is free when others are oppressed."
UNK

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 AM

218 posts, read 239,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Well, they still do more for education than the right (see Reagan education cuts)
There a couple of things wrong with your statement. First, you ignored Bush's significant spending on education.

Second, you make the false implication that more spending automatically equals better education.

The DoE is a gigantic bureaucracy, filled with waste and inefficiency that doesn't educate a single child. In fact, we are spending more money per student (after adjusting for inflation) than we did 30 years and are getting worse results. Despite, the federal government benign intentions, we are losing the education race.

If you want to prove your case that increased spending has brought about the desired results, then I am all ears.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The Reganite Revolutionaries only believe in education for the childern of the elite in their own private system. Public Education for the masses is just as contrary to their beliefs as the wealthy paying for their fair share of operating the government that feeds their greed.

I am a Democrat because I believe in equal opportunity for ALL, not one set of opportunities for the very wealthy and a much lesser set for the rest of us. I also believe that we should have equal rights under the law, not one set of rights for those capable of paying a very high priced lawyer and the rest getting help from an inexperienced and poorly paid public defender.

The biggest mistake 90% of us made was failing to be the children of the upper 10%. I am a Democrat in order to try and correct this mistake. If the correction requires a heavily progressive income tax forcing the top 10% TO PAY FOR THE COUNTRY THAT MADE THEM RICH it is a start.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM

moor, look at the states that spend the most on education and their national ranking compared to the states that spend the least.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
democrats have given us things like

whole word (failed)
new math (failed)
teachers unions and tenure that keeps bad teachers in the class (failed)

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Of All States, New York’s Schools Spend Most Money Per Pupil - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com

Really not a coincidence these states are all among the best in education too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies