Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post

I agree things cannot be over simplified and various governments, ideas and systems have their advantages and disadvantages that cannot be summed up in a sentence or two.
Isn't it funny the next line after you posted the flaw in logic, a reinforcement of disinformation follows right behind. By sheer repetition they harvest the votes of those unwilling to think. If they knew it would cost them everything they hold dear I don't think they'd be as cavalier.

My model of politics is based on using the right tool for the correctly identified job. Expecting the plumbers tools to get the wiring job done in your house won't yield happy results. That's the way around dogma all too many get stuck. Even the arrangement of 2 party opposing ideology-- when they're in service to one another as a tempering force, that's healthy. When the objective is to undermine the system or install a mechanism that facilitates failure, I consider that treachery worthy of prison time.

I wonder if we'll ever see a day when online voting issue by issue will yield a better directive for politicians to abide for the sake of representing in good faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why are you doing her homework for her? Can she not do her own Internet research?
I was just making some suggestions after she asked me at the supper table about a couple of examples of extreme left thinking and extreme right thinking individuals, thought i'd get her some good choices by posing the question here,i should have omitted my perceived choices (Hitler and Stalin) as they only served to set off a bees nest of debate and thread drift about Hitler and not much in the way of examples for me to suggest to her.Matters not at this point as she completed the assignment over the weekend.And no i'm not going to perpetuate this topic by telling you who she picked in her examples, they didnt turn out to be Hitler or Stalin.

Thanks to those who actually came up with examples
PS Two of her choices came from post 17.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I can't understand why so many have a vested interest in myopic definitions. The expressions of conservatism, attributed to right wing, have to do with the tools they choose to implement and the definition of a problems root source.
Take a look here...
Cultural conservatism
Economic conservatism · Fiscal conservatism · Green conservatism
Liberal conservatism · Libertarian conservatism
National conservatism · Neoconservatism
Paleoconservatism · Social conservatism
Traditionalist conservatism
The things that distinguish one from another are which aspect of social ill they're addressing. ANY ideology taken to it's extreme is dangerous to liberty of all.

Equal time, here's liberalism in America:
American liberalism · Anarcho-liberalism
Classical liberalism · Conservative liberalism
Democratic liberalism · Green liberalism
Libertarianism · Market liberalism
National liberalism · Neoliberalism
Ordoliberalism · Paleoliberalism
Radicalism · Social liberalism

I'm reminded of a joke a libertarian told me once.
"I went so far to the right I wound up on the left."

Clearly politics is not linear over simplified expressions.
Excellent point..... regardless whether "Right" or "Left", there's a big difference between whether your "-isms" are Social, Economic, Green, or Libertarian, etc.!

In fact even Conservatives end up feuding about those things with each other:
The Liberty and Economics Review: Don’t let social conservatives hijack the TEA party; if they do we may never get our Constitution back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies