Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times

Advertisements

My goodness, there are some panties in a twist over absolutely nothing. If you don't want to donate, simply opt out, the government isn't taking control of your body, for pete's sake. I for one have had a father, 2 uncles, 2 cousins, and soon to be myself and 2 brothers on a waiting list for a kidney, so I guess you could say I am glad for this. I think a lot of people are ignorant to how many people die every year because either people don't care or don't know how to sign up. Please people, become a donor, there are so many people who need help, and you can't use them where you are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I'm a liberal, and while I understand the problem of finding organ donors, I have problem with this bill. You can stop hurling insults at liberals now. We are not all in agreement about this issue.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Another slow righty who doesn't understand what "opt out" means. You can opt out but brown people in Arizona can't.
Don't you get it? We shouldn't have to "opt out" in the first place. Pretty soon they will pass all kinds of dumb laws but claim we can "opt out". Soon enough we'd have to opt out of everything in order preserve our individual and family rights, which are supposed to be guaranteed by the Constitution.

And who's to say they'll never claim they never received our "opt out" request? How many mistakes will be made when organs are taken when they weren't supposed to be? There's big money to be made harvesting human organs. Organ donations should never be politicized.

Think a little harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What part of opt in don't you understand?

This is a very personal decision that the government has no business deciding yes for you.
Well said. What would these same people say if somebody introduced a bill saying that all Americans must donate 10% of their earnings to charity, decided by the government? It's the same issue of personal choice and freedom. The government has no right to default my answer as "Yes".

Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
If you don't want to donate, simply opt out,.
..or if you want to donate you can opt in now.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
My goodness, there are some panties in a twist over absolutely nothing. If you don't want to donate, simply opt out, the government isn't taking control of your body, for pete's sake. I for one have had a father, 2 uncles, 2 cousins, and soon to be myself and 2 brothers on a waiting list for a kidney, so I guess you could say I am glad for this. I think a lot of people are ignorant to how many people die every year because either people don't care or don't know how to sign up. Please people, become a donor, there are so many people who need help, and you can't use them where you are going.
I have already opted in.. By choice.. I dont need you nor the government to come along and tell me that I have no right to my body unless I choose to exercise my 5th amendment right.

Not to mince words, but what on gods earth makes you think YOU or anyone else is ENTITLED to someone elses organs, and what makes you think its ok to violate the Constitution so that you can be satisfied?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What part of ITS YOUR BODY, and the government doesnt have the authority to take possession of your body, before, or after your death, without your concent, dont you understand?
Remember that when the abortion question comes up.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
To Remember Me

At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped. When that happens, do not attempt to install artificial life into my body by use of a machine.

And don't call this my "deathbed", call it my "bed of life," and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face, or love in the eyes of a woman.

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.

Give my hearing to a child who has never heard the crack of a baseball bat, or a bird sing.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

Give my skin to a burn victim.

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses, and all prejudice against my fellow man.

Then cremate me and throw my ashes to the wind to help the wildflowers grow.

Give my sins to the devil.

Give my soul to God.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.

Robert N. Test

Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
See, while you consider my examples "huge leaps", I consider taking ones body without their concent, a HUGE LEAP...

I'm trying really hard to understand why you think its ok for the government to just take possession of your things, unless you opt out...

btw, have you read the constitution? Try the 5th amendment to be exact..
You're making it sound like they're taking your organs to a big government warehouse. This law wouldn't change things much from their current state, only that instead of opting in, you have the option of opting out. If you find the idea of your organs being used to help sick people so offensive, you can opt out. In other words, if you don't want to, you don't have to be an organ donor. What harm does this do?

The fifth amendment deals mainly with protection from abuse in regards to legal procedures. The part at the end of it regarding eminent domain doesn't really apply to organ donations the way it would to property, seeing as a dead person is incapable of owning property and they are fully in control of whether or not their organs go to help ill people when they die. Organ transplants didn't exist in those times, so of course the constitution doesn't mention it. In any case, it's the state government doing this, not the federal government.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Nothing gets me angrier than my organs being used to save someone else's life after I'm dead unless I choose to opt out. Nothing.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
What harm does this do?
If I get french fries I don't have to tell them NOT to put ketchup on them, the reason they don't do this is because if I don't want ketchup it can't be undone.

Quote:
Currently one of the biggest obstacles to being a donor is while 9 out of 10 are favorable to it only 1 out of 10 is signed up to be a donor.
We have people now that are willing to enter this program but don't for whatever reason, it's certainly plausible that many people will fail to opt out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies