Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
It's sad, truly sad that showing your hate just because we have a non-white president is accepted in NC. And NC is such a beautiful state.

I don't think displaying those disgusting flags are a sign of southern pride, whatever that could mean in the first place. Seriously what's so great about Jim Crow, lynchings, racism, trying to separate from the United States just to preserve slavery, etc? Is that what this "pride" is about? That is what I think of when I see a confederate flag. Why not just displaying your state's flag or some other symbol instead of the rebel flag. Because I know the people who fly the flag know that it offends blacks such as myself.
I think Grizzmeister was saying the same thing you are - he was speaking out against it, not for it. He was saying (and I agree) that Obama's victory brought out more vocal hate in those who hate, and their flying those flags as some kind of statement, knowing the effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When we first moved here several years ago rarely saw them. Now they are seen much more often on cars etc etc. Are we nearing a historical year in the history of the south? Is there some reason why folks are more interested in displaying their historical flag? Am I just noticing them more? Is this a trend throughout the Triangle?
Maybe it has something to do with a black man being president. Just a theory.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default Southern Culture on the Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I think Grizzmeister was saying the same thing you are - he was speaking out against it, not for it. He was saying (and I agree) that Obama's victory brought out more vocal hate in those who hate, and their flying those flags as some kind of statement, knowing the effect.
That’s right. In no way, shape, form or fashion do I condone prejudice and in fact it would be against my own best interests if I did given my heritage.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
After Obama was elected president, my wife went out and purchased a confederate flag, and hung it outside. But, we don't live in the south.. we live in Chicago

Old 05-01-2010, 07:31 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I have lived in the south most of my life and I am grateful to those who have the confederate flag flying at their house, on their car, or adorning it on a T-Shirt, or hat. I am grateful because they have saved me the time of talking to them. They are advertising the fact that they are redneck idiots. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt but I have met enough of them to know that it is true. So thanks for letting us know who you are. In the past, we had to guess who they were because they wore sheets on their heads.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 AM

160 posts, read 183,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Because the flag has been flown only since Jan 20, 2009.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I may not fly it myself, but I'm glad to see a statue in the middle of downtown Raleigh that honors the Confederate dead. I like that in the middle of one of the most advanced research areas in the country, we have people showing pride in their heritage. Even a few researchers and scientists in RTP proudly show the flag at their house.

That's the great thing about America. You can think what you want, and so can a confederate flag waver.

Oh, no...not this sh*t again with tying the civil war to slavery. That is why the civil war was referred to as the war of Northern aggression. Sherman didn't rape and pilage simply because he wanted to "free the slaves". Also, Lincoln has been quotes as not caring one way or another whether the slaves were freed.
I'm starting to believe that unfortunately some southern whites worship this flag and all that it stands for.

Well then if that is the case I know I won't be visiting Raleigh anytime soon. I know that there are some white southerners with since down there that would permanently do away with all that confederate nonsense in a heartbeat. Good thing those rebel flag wavers do not represent the majority of the people in the south.

The Civil War was about slavery and money. Your neighbors in SC seceded first because they thought Lincoln would abolish slavery. Hey actions speak louder than words at least he signed the Proclamation. He and the Union army set my people free, and that is definitely a good thing.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
After Obama was elected president, my wife went out and purchased a confederate flag, and hung it outside. But, we don't live in the south.. we live in Chicago
Why???

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Wow! A lot of people making a lot of assumptions here! I can see both sides.

It's sad to see this, and the misunderstanding and judgements on both sides. To me, a Brit, you are all simply Americans - and cannot see how fortunate you are to be so. Why do you have to label & judge each other? I had hoped that when President Obama was elected, you all would put this nonsense behind you and simply see each other as fellow Americans. But you all just won't let go.

Live in the present and forgive....life is too short!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 AM

124 posts, read 326,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
It's sad to see this, and the misunderstanding and judgements on both sides. To me, a Brit, you are all simply Americans - and cannot see how fortunate you are to be so.

I could not agree more. So many unintelligent fallacies on both sides, and unnecessary language -- "redneck idiots" and "damn Yankees." How about just Americans, with diverse histories and backgrounds, who live in a land of opportunity? Or are our lives so cushy, spoiled and pathetic that the only things we thrive on are hateful language and perpetuating stereotypes? We seem to prefer looking backward than healing, accepting others, and looking forward. And don't respond to this post by saying "I'll look forward and heal when the other side stops being XYZ." Take a little responsibility for yourselves and your actions/ language.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When we first moved here several years ago rarely saw them. Now they are seen much more often on cars etc etc. Are we nearing a historical year in the history of the south? Is there some reason why folks are more interested in displaying their historical flag? Am I just noticing them more? Is this a trend throughout the Triangle?
TuborgP !!! ... Great Subject Matter !

Indeed the beautiful Confederate Flag is a tremendous source of "Historical Pride and Heritage" for vast numbers of good folks in these United States of America !

We are noticing these outstanding flags and auto window flag stickers on display more and more way up here on the East Coast as well as on our tours of the magnificent "Old South" ! It truly appears to be a vibrant and historical oriented trend on so many level here in America !

It's all good stuff .... because the "Confederacy & it's Grand Flag" are an essential part of America's "Past" History !

May we ever cherish the greatness of America by reverently remembering the great sacrifices and accomplishments of those whom have gone before ! ..... And by the way that means the "Old South" and the Proud Heritage of those associated with the once upon a time Confererate States of America !

American History ..... enjoy it, study it and yes indeed cherish all of it !

Dixie Land is here for the long term ! Thanks /Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies