Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

In Gulf Oil Spill, Fragile Marshes Face New Threat - NYTimes.com

Quote:
The federal government also had opportunities to move more quickly, but did not do so while it waited for a resolution to the spreading spill from BP.

The Department of Homeland Security waited until Thursday to declare that the incident was “a spill of national significance,” and then set up a second command center in Mobile, Ala.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano acknowledging even as late as Thursday afternoon that she did not know if the Defense Department even had equipment that might be helpful.
Truly inept.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...-s-t-oil-spill

Quote:
Bill Maher: 'Why Isn’t Barack Obama Getting More S--t For This' Oil Spill?
Cause he's a democrat, that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM

A damning chronology of just what obama was doing every day as the situation deteriorated.

'Obama's Katrina': an Illustrated Timeline

Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A damning chronology of just what obama was doing every day as the situation deteriorated.

'Obama's Katrina': an Illustrated Timeline
So we are supposed to believe some right-wing blogger? Here is the true timeline. Memo to media: Timeline contradicts "Obama's Katrina" claim | Media Matters for America

Old 05-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So we are supposed to believe some right-wing blogger? Here is the true timeline. Memo to media: Timeline contradicts "Obama's Katrina" claim | Media Matters for America
So we are supposed to believe some LEFT-wing blogger?

Better yet, MM is a propaganda arm of the democrat party.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:19 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm happy to criticize this administration for many things, but I'm holding my fire on this one. Ultradeep-sea drilling is risky stuff, and this well is 5000 feet deep. Getting down there to cap it is going to be an engineering feat just in itself.
That isn't all that deep. Drilling can be done at 20,000 ft (full ocean depth), and it isn't as "risky" as you might think. Technology has made it very safe.
Quote:
White House Memo - Shadow of Katrina Hangs Over Official Response to Spill - NYTimes.com

The NYT must be over its love affair with Obama for running headlines like this, and IMO this is a cheap shot at him over recent complaints in the press about getting access to him.

I'm more interested in this article by the AP...In its 2009 exploration plan and environmental impact analysis for the well, BP suggested it was unlikely, or virtually impossible, for an accident to occur that would lead to a giant crude oil spill and serious damage to beaches, fish and mammals.

BP should be taken to the woodshed for this one. They didn't plan for this potentiality, and that is not Obama's fault, and I can't even believe I'm saying that. I'm pretty sure no one even understood the magnitude of what was going on for a couple days.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Right on!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:

Seeing how I remember the news reports that said Obama was in fact aware of what was happening and sending help. I will believe MM. Until you can show me a timeline that is not sourced from a right-wing blogger.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:

One blog has a bunch of pictures with inaccurate descriptions of events.

The other website is filled with links from legitimate news outlets as things transpired.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:29 PM

299 posts, read 635,264 times
Quote:
You do understand it was the uber-liberal New York Times that started the Katrina-oil spill comparison? here you go: White House Memo - Shadow of Katrina Hangs Over Official Response to Spill - NYTimes.com
If the left is going to start bashing this administration with such comparisons, of course the right is going to jump in. I won't, yet, because I am willing to cut Obama the kind of slack you people weren't willing to cut Bush.

Here is the AP link I forgot to include before: AP News: BP plan deemed major spill from Gulf well unlikely
Or maybe it could mean that the allegedly "ultraliberal" New York Times, isn't all that biased as the rightwingers keep saying?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That isn't all that deep. Drilling can be done at 20,000 ft (full ocean depth), and it isn't as "risky" as you might think. Technology has made it very safe.
Actually, drilling in 5000ft of water is very deep. And Ive never heard of drilling in 20,000ft of water. That sounds absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies