U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM

42,670 posts, read 69,763,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Probably the most polite white people live on Cape Bretton NS Cdn. I have toured Canada and most of the USA, and found the nicest folks were Scotts and on Cape Bretton NS Cdn.
You didn't go far enough. Newfoundlanders, in comparison, make Nova Scotians seem like New York cab drivers. Going and meeting Newfoundlanders is like going to a remote island where the wildlife has never learned to fear humans and the birds land on your shoulders. Newfoundland is an island of a half-million people who are all on a first-name basis with everyone else. If two people are strangers, they refuse to admit it.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-01-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM

14,330 posts, read 18,680,963 times
Default The unearned privilege is all that matters

What matters in this society in terms of taking advantage of the"unearned privilege" is that a person not be black. Any person who is white, no matter what region they live in, or what their national origin, is afforded this privilege. So the term "white" speaks to the ability to enjoy the privilege, not the national origin distinctions, which are irrelevant in this regard.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 PM

19,122 posts, read 20,807,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You didn't go far enough. Newfoundlanders, in comparison, make Nova Scotians seem like New York cab drivers. Going and meeting Newfoundlanders is like going to a remote island where the wildlife has never learned to fear humans and the birds land on your shoulders. Newfoundland is an island of a half-million people who are all on a first-name basis with everyone else. If two people are strangers, they refuse to admit it.
88, Hard tellin' ain't been thar.....yet

I spent 16 days on Cape Bretton, took a paid room 3 times, and never camped in my tent.

We would pull over to admire the view, and people would come out yelling. I was ready to skidaddle, but instead found all the yelling was if i was hungery, did we need wash done, and should the old 80 gallon water heat be fired up? Stayed in home owner own beds , stayed in a rear old and creeky Victorian house too, and was fed sea food till I was ill. Breaklfasts of 20 courses at one place, and they didn't want a thing in return.

That actually scared me. 'ALL' invited us back too... If the Newfies are better than that we all need lessons on life. I do have invites there, but haven't had $ and time ......yet

For a city Montreal isn't too bad. Been there a slew of times to re-fight the French and Indian War, and right smack down town. Used to go to the Plains of Abraham untill the whole event was canceled last year to be PC. for the frenchies.. I was on the French side too. To bad for Parks Canada, lost money fer that big time.

You wouldn't bet in I know a direct desendant to Montcalm, but I do. LOL, he speaks parisian french, and his interpreter isn't a re-enactor, so I forked over mocs, breech clout, leggings of deer, and a trade shirt to that guy to keep. You know what a bad a$$ i am right?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What matters in this society in terms of taking advantage of the"unearned privilege" is that a person not be black. Any person who is white, no matter what region they live in, or what their national origin, is afforded this privilege. So the term "white" speaks to the ability to enjoy the privilege, not the national origin distinctions, which are irrelevant in this regard.
What the heck does that mean? No one ever gave me nuthin' I didn't earn yet. On the other hand i won't accept nuthin I didn't earn ever.

You might not know it, but in the USA there are places a white boy had best not go. I have been to several of them, and sometimes bad things happen to me.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,415,967 times
Default We need more specific examples here.

I wish the OP had given a few specific examples to flesh out his observations, like Jtur88 did for Newfoundland (Canada). Also it would have been interesting to have a few examples of the alleged "unearned privilege" which white people enjoy. I think this latter concept was valid when I was a child in the 1950's, but I am sceptical about the extent to which it applies in 2010. Some examples would help me evaluate my own scepticism.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,481,216 times
This whole thread is ridiculous. Stereotypes, lack of real knowledge about areas of the country, no understanding of what differences exist and certainly not why they exist. Read some books about cultural influences and assimilation. in the US, regional differences, subcultures, and the impact of new immigration. Otherwise you are just talking nonsense. Geez....

Old 05-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
This whole thread is ridiculous. Stereotypes, lack of real knowledge about areas of the country, no understanding of what differences exist and certainly not why they exist. Read some books about cultural influences and assimilation. in the US, regional differences, subcultures, and the impact of new immigration. Otherwise you are just talking nonsense. Geez....
Read books? I did that, and can't tell how people are. So I traveled 10 months on a motorcycle. If you wanna find out how people are in places, a bike is the way to go.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM

42,670 posts, read 69,763,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
88, Hard tellin' ain't been thar.....yet
I didn't ask you, I told you. And I don't need you to confirm things that I already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Read some books about cultural influences and assimilation. in the US, regional differences, subcultures, and the impact of new immigration. Otherwise you are just talking nonsense. Geez....
Is that how you learn about people of different cultures? Sit home and read about them?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,481,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't ask you, I told you. And I don't need you to confirm things that I already know.

Is that how you learn about people of different cultures? Sit home and read about them?
Good grief--I didn't say to read about people--I said to read about regional differences, subcultures, and assimilation--as factors in American life. Then when you meet people or are exposed to differences you will have a frame of reference as to how to evaluate them. This is for the folks who are expressing confusion about differences, influences, and American cultuiral patterns. Then maybe we wouldn't have such statements as these:

""I am in the midwest, and for years I heard that people from the northeast thought there were still "cowboy and indians", like in the Lone Ranger and Tonto or something to that effect."

"Is there no American culture and we are just made up of groups of different people who actually have a culture?"

"For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type."

"however the terms-- white people and gringo-- were invented because alota people that live here had to come up with words to describe folks that got money and power and are not very much like them, people they dont like."

Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 AM

731 posts, read 1,277,937 times
Good grief--I didn't say to read about people--I said to read about regional differences, subcultures, and assimilation--as factors in American life. Then when you meet people or are exposed to differences you will have a frame of reference as to how to evaluate them. This is for the folks who are expressing confusion about differences, influences, and American cultuiral patterns. Then maybe we wouldn't have such statements as these:

""I am in the midwest, and for years I heard that people from the northeast thought there were still "cowboy and indians", like in the Lone Ranger and Tonto or something to that effect."

Well, well, well...Tama..I am a hillbilly and if I wanted to read, it certainly wouldn't be about regional differences and assimilation as factors in American life. That sounds really boring....sociology: marriage, courtship and the family. And we are supposed to evaluate these people??

What is American culture?

Russian culture includes their Russian language, their Russian cuisine, specific art forms, i.e. nesting dolls, Fhaberge eggs, dense forests have allowed Russians to become master wood carvers as another art form specific to Russians, they have Russian music, and they refrain from smiling in public and their manner of dress is specific for them.

What is American culture? start with cuisine first, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or