U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

447 posts, read 264,154 times
The east coast is where it's at.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

474 posts, read 271,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?
Someone who appreciates the culture of the Midwest and West would NEVER use the phrase, "They vote against there own best interest." This phrase is so insulting. The N-word is more socially acceptable. But, Coasters think they are being polite when they say this about other white people. Coasters might as well be from a different planet, I don't understand them. That being said, Midwest is more of the melting pot and the Coast is a salad.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 6,760,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?
A lot of the people in the towns around where I live are of Norwegian heritage, and the town I grew up in was mostly made up of people from Germany, Ireland and Poland. There is more to diversity then just skin color.

You would have a diverse group of people working in the same company, if they were from places like New York City, Boston, New Orleans, Huston, Seattle, Hawaii, Guam, Green Bay, Las Vegas, Miami, Anchorage, and little hick farming towns from the mid west and north east and south west. But if they were all white, the diversity police would not see any diversity at all.

But if you had another group of people, all from the same exact city, and graduated from the same high school, and state college, the diversity police would see plenty of diversity, as long as they had different skin, hair and eye color.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,013,534 times
I completely agree with the post. I love Midwesterners. Friendly, nice, good people.

On the same topic, people seem to be nicer or not so nice, depending on what state they're living in. We travel a lot, and it's amazing how you can cross a state border and immediately know whether it's going to be a nice place to visit. Arkansas, we're always treated like long-lost family. Other states I won't even drive through anymore, since the people are hostile.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 PM

1,447 posts, read 778,710 times
The meaning of this post is a little bit amusing---white people in the midwest are different from white people on the east coast----yikes, are all white folks all over the country suppossed to have the same personalities and traits due to the fact they are white--wow.

Rather than skin color, the personality and attitudes of people are developed through the lifestyle in which they were brought up in. Is it shocking that people are more mellow and patient in Milwaukee than in New York and Boston----its not because they are whiter--is it???

People as a general rule are different based on social pressures, the hassle and emotional stress of daily life, and the attitudes of their friends and compatriots. The population densities, the traffic congestions, the crime rates, and the dog eat dog tenacities of metro urban areas of the cities in the eastern part of the country produce different attitudes than folks in the midwest have.

I am not a internationally renown sociologist but I will insist that regional differences in above points that I raised probably contribute to the differences in white folk across the country---just a guess.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 AM

154 posts, read 270,294 times
The Middle East, Greek and Italian Families in the east coast cities pass down their culture from generation to generation and add that to the dog eat dog culture of the Washington to Boston corridor and you have a harsh mix of people. On the other hand the majority of people in the Rocky Mountain, Pacific Northwest and Midwestern States are Northern European ancestry. These are more reserved laid back cultures and the people are more relaxed and friendly.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM

3,325 posts, read 2,505,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, that's true. But the thing that makes them different is the current social environment they live in, not their ancestry. Greek Americans living in Cedar Rapids Iowa are just like Norwegian Americans living in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Norwegian Americans living in Brooklyn are just like Greek Americans living in Brooklyn.

A friend of mine was born and raised in New York City, went to college in North Dakota, and now lives in a small town in Michigan. I was surprised when he told me he was from New York, because he acted just like every other midwesterner. I have another friend who grew up in a small town in Ohio, and now lives in Manhattan. He acts like everyone else in New York City.
Transplants usually act that way because they want to fit in or live that lifestyle. Someone from a hick town who moves to New York probably wants to be trendy and cosmopolitan. Someone from New York who moves to a small Midwestern town probably wants a more laid back lifestyle and the occasional conversations with their neighbors that extends beyond "I'll kick your ass if I catch you peeing in my mailbox again!"

The obvious exception to this generalization is when a bunch of people from one region move to a city or region, usually due to economic circumstances. Then it reaches a type of cultural critical mass and elements of the newcomers regions end up becoming part of the local culture. Think of the influence New York, Chicago, and Cuba (I know, not part of the US) have had on South Florida which was still quite Southern well into in the 60s.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,521,809 times
There seems to be an antipathy for social class distinctions in the Midwest and even more so in the Plains states. People in these areas seem a lot less caught up in personal appearance, social status conveyed by dress, and social status conveyed by house, neighborhood, and automobile.

The East seems far too preoccupied in human hierarchies.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 4,824,026 times
It's according to where you live. Where I live, rudeness is the norm. But go up to Georgia and the Carolinas, and politeness is the norm.

As for country of origin, different nationalities settled in different parts of the country.

BTW, I'm more beige or ecru rather than white.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

68,609 posts, read 57,269,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
There seems to be an antipathy for social class distinctions in the Midwest and even more so in the Plains states. People in these areas seem a lot less caught up in personal appearance, social status conveyed by dress, and social status conveyed by house, neighborhood, and automobile.

The East seems far too preoccupied in human hierarchies.
Now this is something I really disagree with. Omaha, brought up in this discussion several times, is very stratified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies