U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 AM

5,129 posts, read 4,626,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?

First thing I must address is that Italians that live in the Northeast are NOT repeat NOT like those idiots on the show Jersey Shore. I AM Italian and I live in NJ and they are an embarrassment to most Italians here.

Second, it matters not the ethnic background people from the south are different then those in the Northeast, just like whites from California are different then those from NJ. Both white, both live on the coast but totally different. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin and everything to do with location.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM

154 posts, read 445,098 times
So you don't think the fact that 90% of the white people being from Germany and Scandinavia in a place like Minnesota has an impact on the regional culture? Or that Staten Island NY has mostly people who come from Italy. Sure it does. The culture of the dominant group is passed down through the years to form a regional American culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
First thing I must address is that Italians that live in the Northeast are NOT repeat NOT like those idiots on the show Jersey Shore. I AM Italian and I live in NJ and they are an embarrassment to most Italians here.

Second, it matters not the ethnic background people from the south are different then those in the Northeast, just like whites from California are different then those from NJ. Both white, both live on the coast but totally different. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin and everything to do with location.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,465,175 times
I am a White Yankee that is quite proud of my Celtic and Teutonic heritage. Romantic, stubborn and sometimes crazy is an interesting combination. Just ask my wife.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 AM

40,058 posts, read 29,673,434 times
Quote:
Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?
I believe that people in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than people on the East Coast. There's no particular distinction between whites, blacks, or anyone else. Do you also think there are differences between gays and straights in different parts of the country, or people in different parts of the country who practice a particular religion?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM

154 posts, read 445,098 times
So there is no cultural differences between a German American and a Greek American? And for example if a community is dominated by Greek Americans vs German America it would have no impact on local culture. Is that what you are saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I believe that people in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than people on the East Coast. There's no particular distinction between whites, blacks, or anyone else.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM

84,892 posts, read 98,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I believe that people in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than people on the East Coast. There's no particular distinction between whites, blacks, or anyone else. Do you also think there are differences between gays and straights in different parts of the country, or people in different parts of the country who practice a particular religion?
There are cultural differences between the midwest and the east coast, but I don't think they are huge.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,626,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
So you don't think the fact that 90% of the white people being from Germany and Scandinavia in a place like Minnesota has an impact on the regional culture? Or that Staten Island NY has mostly people who come from Italy. Sure it does. The culture of the dominant group is passed down through the years to form a regional American culture.

No I think every part of the country has a "culture" and no matter what ethnic background you are if you live there chances are you will fall into that culture.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM

69,145 posts, read 79,264,331 times
Quote:

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?
I can't imagine many of us have a clue what you are talking about?

Nita

Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 PM

8,001 posts, read 8,061,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are cultural differences between the midwest and the east coast, but I don't think they are huge.
Really? If there's a tornado here and your barn gets blown down your neighbors will help you clean up and build a new one. one the coast they'll make you wait for the government to build you one and steal your cows when your not looking.......

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM

84,892 posts, read 98,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Really? If there's a tornado here and your barn gets blown down your neighbors will help you clean up and build a new one. one the coast they'll make you wait for the government to build you one and steal your cows when your not looking.......
Oh, baloney. I grew up in Pennsylvania. I know that's not true. BTW, are you aware of how much federal aid the midwest has received due to floods and other weather related concerns? Do a google search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or