Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times

Advertisements

Ha! First thing first...what are you doing reading Marie Claire!

Second...MATERNITY LEAVE is six-WEEKS!!!!! NOT six-MONTHS!

Third, someone really needs to read up on FMLA laws and stop letting magazines influence their decision making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
I have never heard of anyone getting 6 months paid leave for having a baby. Maternity leave is covered under FMLA, and that only allows 12 weeks of leave during any 12 month period if deemed medically necessary and it does not require that the employer pay you for it.

I used to work for state government and most people think that government employers have fairly decent medical coverage (although it's not nearly as generous as it was when I first started working there almost 35 years ago). You were allowed 6 weeks of time off unless your doctor said you needed more time to recover (to a maximum of 12 weeks), and you were only paid for it if you had accumulated enough leave to cover the time off. Men are also allowed up to a maximum of 12 weeks leave in a 12 month period to care for a newborn under FMLA - again only if deemed medically necessary to care for the newborn and are paid only if they have accumulated enough sick leave.

The idea of allowing any time off for women or men who elect not to have children simply because those who do have job protection is ridiculous. That's like saying a healthy person should get a month off of work because a co-worker was allowed time off because he was unlucky enough to be sick or injured and can't work for a month.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I have worked as a nurse for almost 40 years. Nursing was, and still is, a very female dominated profession, so I've mostly worked in all-female (or almost all-female) working environments. In the early days of my career, most hospitals gave 3 months of mat. leave, paid only if you had enough leave accrued. What that meant was that's how long they would save your job for you. This was pre-FMLA days. As time went on, the leave time decreased to about six weeks. Now, with FMLA, I guess it's now 12 weeks again. (I haven't worked in a hospital for a long time. My present employer doesn't have enough empolyees to qualify for FMLA.)

I can actually see giving employees a "sabattical" every 5 years or so, but that would have to be gender and children neutral.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I actually disagree with maternity leave.

It should be treated as any other medical procedure. If you have gall bladder surgery, you're out of work for three days.

Shouldn't take more than that for maternity leave, unless the doctor says otherwise.

I used to work at a plant, and all the time I got hit with having to work overtime, and weekends. Not because I was low seniority, but because I was single, with no children. God forbid the parents actually have to come in and work on the weekends, they have kids.

Same thing applies to maternity leave. Stay out while its medically necessary, after that, you're on your own.
As soon as you have a baby yourself, you'll be qualified to make comments on what it does to your body.
Until then, not so much.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Memphis has obviously never had a baby ... and here's why.

3 days after giving birth ... a woman can barely walk, much less sit comfortably ... and the mess!!!! oh the mess!!! If I remember, the mess continued for a couple weeks and that's if you have a routine birth. If there are complications, then it's a whole different ball of wax. My first birth resulted in me having a fever for 3 days afterwards which kept me in the hospital for longer than expected. Most insurance plans cover 48 hours post v-birth, 3 days c-section birth. I suppose you'd have me fired for that. I don't think I felt "normal" again for about a month ... 4 weeks, so 6 weeks of maternity leave just to give your body a CHANCE TO HEAL (yeeks ... won't go much futher than that).

Look ... if you choose to be childless, that's fine, but don't get your bitter nose out of joint when women has a child ... you'd have us punished, or come back to work just so you don't have to work so hard speaks very little of you.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yep, just squat down in the field, have that baby, and resume picking the crops! Three days my a. . , uh, eye! How about comparing having a baby with a heart attack instead?

I don't agree with parents automatically getting a bye on the weekend, evening duty. Obviously, you've never worked as a nurse in a hospital. That just doesn't happen in the hospital workplace.

If their doctor says there is a medical need for the woman to stay home, then I have no problem with them staying home. However, giving someone 3 months off, or even 6 weeks, for no other reason than "bonding with baby". After 3 days to a week, you should be capable of going back to work.

Like I said, if the doctor thinks you need longer, then let them sign a note saying you shouldn't be at work. Thats the way the rest of us deal with medical situations.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
If their doctor says there is a medical need for the woman to stay home, then I have no problem with them staying home. However, giving someone 3 months off, or even 6 weeks, for no other reason than "bonding with baby". After 3 days to a week, you should be capable of going back to work.

Like I said, if the doctor thinks you need longer, then let them sign a note saying you shouldn't be at work. Thats the way the rest of us deal with medical situations.
don't speak of things that you know nothing of .. it makes you look like a dim bulb.

You say bonding with baby, it's really ... mom's body healing and getting hormonally back into whack.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:24 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Maternity Leave | News stories | Marie Claire

too bad we dont' have a facepalm emoticon.
Where does this entitlement mentality come from?
The Liberals and the current administration is encouraging it too!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
I actually disagree with maternity leave.

It should be treated as any other medical procedure. If you have gall bladder surgery, you're out of work for three days.

Shouldn't take more than that for maternity leave, unless the doctor says otherwise.

I used to work at a plant, and all the time I got hit with having to work overtime, and weekends. Not because I was low seniority, but because I was single, with no children. God forbid the parents actually have to come in and work on the weekends, they have kids.""

I have no children and many times just said, "NO", to overtime and was never fired because of it....AND I find most people WITH children want the overtime either because of financial reasons or being home is not that big of an attraction.

"""Same thing applies to maternity leave. Stay out while its medically necessary, after that, you're on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
It is!

I can't see it ever becoming a law that childless women get paid maternity leave. As a childless woman who worked in many offices with women who actually had children, I can't imagine the horrendous outcry there would be from mothers of children or male coworkers who aren't married. Even male coworkers who are married qualify for that Family Leave Act.

What's the point? I work, I get sick leave and vacation time. Perhaps if I had to care for a sibling's child, maybe I would qualify for the Family Leave Act.

And the law would create needless animosity in the workplace. As if there isn't enough there sometimes already.

I think that's a sensationalistic article written purely to create some "buzz."
Ya, it only a survey and there is NO one with "a sense of entitlement"....just some males who worry that women may gain an edge somehow ...

And, no, a maternity leave is for maternity purposes...and UNPAID is fine, afterall , it IS VOLUNTARY.

ANYONE can apply for a leave.....ANYONE......

Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:

You get sliced from here to tomorrow and then stitched back up after shoving out a watermelon sized kid and let me know how you are doing after 3 days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies