Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post

It sounds to me that your husband takes care of the house,is this correct? If so what is so negative about that to you? You said you were a type A(in so many words)female so you should be happy. If you need a man who makes more money many than you and can dominate you be prepared for what that brings.
From my experience, a lot of women (and men) are stuck in the stereotype that men must work but its okay for women to stay home. They may call themselves "liberated" but they still have the baggage of decades of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Either way, it's the woman who runs the risk, and the woman who has the final choice about getting an abortion. The man could request that she gets one, but he cannot FORCE her to. She could choose to go ahead and deliver the child, regardless of his wishes.
I agree with you. But then you have the argument as to why the man should pay if he gets no part of the decision making?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
A lot of men have indeed made that argument. However, if they were married to her at the time of conception and raised them for say, five years or so, before choosing to divorce, then should they not continue to pay regardless of whether or not the child is theirs?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
A lot of men have indeed made that argument. However, if they were married to her at the time of conception and raised them for say, five years or so, before choosing to divorce, then should they not continue to pay regardless of whether or not the child is theirs?
That, then, is a different situation as the man has made a choice first in marriage and second to raise the child. So, I would say that both have a liability to the child.

I had a situation where my (former) gf came off birth control but chose not to tell me. I was fortunate in that she told one of her friends who, horrified, told me. But, suppose I had not known and conception had ensued. Should I be liable for that child?

Interestingly, I never got an apology or an admission that what she had done in not telling me might have been wrong.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Completely different situation.

Women get 3 months to decide if they want to birth, raise, and pay for a child. Men should get the same 3 months.

A father opting out of the responsibility at age 5, would like a woman wanting an abortion when the kid is 5.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If anything, single moms are portrayed as heroes these days.. And I have much more respect for single mothers than women who abort because it's inconvenient to them. I think women should make better decisions in men.
A single Mother of 4 kids in a WIC line is a "hero". Maybe to the masses following Octomom, not to the rest of Society.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Completely different situation.

Women get 3 months to decide if they want to birth, raise, and pay for a child. Men should get the same 3 months.

A father opting out of the responsibility at age 5, would like a woman wanting an abortion when the kid is 5.
Well, there are some similarities. A non-custodial parent generally has no decision making power over the child, child support or not.

And the reason I bring it up is because some feel that if it is not indeed their child--even though they thought it was the first five years--they should not be obligated to pay child support for it, and the real father should instead have to pay.

That's where you have these men who get divorced and all of a sudden want a paternity test done on the child. Personally, I feel that's a low class thing to do.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Well, there are some similarities. A non-custodial parent generally has no decision making power over the child, child support or not.

And the reason I bring it up is because some feel that if it is not indeed their child--even though they thought it was the first five years--they should not be obligated to pay child support for it, and the real father should instead have to pay.

That's where you have these men who get divorced and all of a sudden want a paternity test done on the child. Personally, I feel that's a low class thing to do.
Thats what DNA tests are for.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah, but if it was okay to pay for it for the first five years of its life, you shouldn't all of a sudden want a DNA test done. That's my point. If you accepted it as your child during all that time, and now you want to get out from under that obligation...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM

171 posts, read 212,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
People who collect unemployment actually worked and paid into unemployment.

More than likely people living off welfare never worked and live off the backs of those who do.

Do you understand the difference?

Yes, i understand the difference?? Did you read the post I was speaking about. If I'm not mistaken, he said lazy collecting unemployment!!
And the same applies "black man are not the only one's on welfare". So, find some other race to talk about to try to make yourself feel better than u are.

Do you understand that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies