U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 AM

21 posts, read 8,614 times

Advertisements

"Throughout our history, whether in times of great joy and thanksgiving, or in times of great challenge and uncertainty, Americans have turned to prayer. In prayer, we have expressed gratitude and humility, sought guidance and forgiveness, and received inspiration and assistance, both in good times and in bad," Obama's proclamation said.

On this day, let us give thanks for the many blessings God has bestowed upon our nation.

Obama names May 6 National Day of Prayer - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,029,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayy View Post
"Throughout our history, whether in times of great joy and thanksgiving, or in times of great challenge and uncertainty, Americans have turned to prayer. In prayer, we have expressed gratitude and humility, sought guidance and forgiveness, and received inspiration and assistance, both in good times and in bad," Obama's proclamation said.

On this day, let us give thanks for the many blessings God has bestowed upon our nation.

Obama names May 6 National Day of Prayer - UPI.com
he's right about prayer

Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,076,304 times
Well that was nice of him, really, finally did something helpful and good.
I'm actually proud of him for this.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,978,133 times
I am waiting for the left wingers to come in and scream about the seperation of church and state.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,076,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I am waiting for the left wingers to come in and scream about the seperation of church and state.
Nah, it will never happen.
They never say anything bad about Obama, he is their saviour.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,824,289 times
Quote:
I agree, The National Day of Prayer is sponsored by some pretty heavy duty religiuos extremists. He should have declined

Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 2,425,958 times
SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. That is a founding principle of this nation. I elect presidents and representatives, not priests and ministers.

I know how to talk to God, I don't need anyone to do it for me. Even if Obama is my personal saviour.

Happy now?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM

18,176 posts, read 10,143,657 times
Quote:
"Separation of Church and State" doesn't mean that you can't or don't pray or believe in a Higher Power.

What it means is that the State cannot promote a particular religion, and Obama's proclamation clearly stays within proper boundaries. The Day of Prayer is a call for everyone to pray to whichever God they choose.

The RW will just have to find something else to whine about this time.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,471,738 times
Quote:
You won't receive any screaming from this Lefty. POTUS Obama is a great President who tries to appeal to ALL americans, unlike that pig Bush before him who only appealed to ultra right wingers, everyone else be dammed.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,560,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Well that was nice of him, really, finally did something helpful and good.
I'm actually proud of him for this.
"good and helpful"": rolleyes:

WHAT exactly does it help??? Exactly....

People have been praying for a long time....why isn't the world perfect, the economy booming, the wars ended, and crooks all in jail?????

No, he did it as a sop to people who think prayer helps...as a PR move that he couldn't avoid making..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies