Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of posts on this forum, some of them nasty, and they all espouse a particular viewpoint. That is as is should be; this is (or at least SHOULD be) a forum for the exchange of ideas, not the denigration of our fellow humans because they believe differently.

Many want to know why problems never get solved by Washington. Here is the reason why, in a nutshell:

Problems are used to divide the populace into opposing camps and create divisions and armed camps among the citizenry.

If a problem was resolved it would no longer be a wedge issue, and those who contribute to the campaigns of politicians on both sides of the fence so that they will fight for whatever viewpoint would stop sending greenbacks.

My solution: Let the national legislature do as their predecessors did during the early days of the country and serve at their own expense. You'll get the country's business done in a fraction of the time, and you'll know it's being done by officials who truly believe that they have the best interests of the Country at heart and not their own pocketbooks.

Let your congressperson know how you feel on this vital issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 AM

338 posts, read 310,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have seen a lot of posts on this forum, some of them nasty, and they all espouse a particular viewpoint. That is as is should be; this is (or at least SHOULD be) a forum for the exchange of ideas, not the denigration of our fellow humans because they believe differently.

In my experience, that's what about 90% of the posts here do. It's neigh on impossible to have a sensible discussion without some posters doing a drive-by-posting.

Quote:
Many want to know why problems never get solved by Washington. Here is the reason why, in a nutshell:

Problems are used to divide the populace into opposing camps and create divisions and armed camps among the citizenry.

If a problem was resolved it would no longer be a wedge issue, and those who contribute to the campaigns of politicians on both sides of the fence so that they will fight for whatever viewpoint would stop sending greenbacks
I don't know. This would imply that:

a) politicians aren't interested in solving problems.

b) they somehow managed to reach an overlying understanding not to bother at all if it isn't in their particular interest.

c) there's a elitarian caste that poses as different parties to keep 'the citizenry' down.

d) politicians aren't normal human beings with desires, passions, goals or ideologies. They simply function to be re-relected.

All this has the unpleasant smell of a conspiracy theory (I'm not saying that this is what you are after).

In my view, the average joe's view on politics is flawed, as on one hand, it denies the politician's humanity, implying a machine-like functioning.
On the other hand, it is too ideology-driven and doesn't take into account the tit-for-tat that is politic's grease. In the real world, there have to be deals to get something working, and it's mostly useless trying to push through a certain point without making accomodations for 'the other side'.

Quote:
My solution: Let the national legislature do as their predecessors did during the early days of the country and serve at their own expense. You'll get the country's business done in a fraction of the time, and you'll know it's being done by officials who truly believe that they have the best interests of the Country at heart and not their own pocketbooks.

I hope my impression is wrong, but wouldn't that make politicians even more vulnerable to lobbying? To be able to pay your expenses, you need to have enough money. Where does that money come from?

btw, sorry for my sometimes erratic argumentation, it's still early here and I haven't had my coffee yet...

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
In my experience, that's what about 90% of the posts here do. It's neigh on impossible to have a sensible discussion without some posters doing a drive-by-posting.

b) they somehow managed to reach an overlying understanding not to bother at all if it isn't in their particular interest.

c) there's a elitarian caste that poses as different parties to keep 'the citizenry' down.

d) politicians aren't normal human beings with desires, passions, goals or ideologies. They simply function to be re-relected.

All this has the unpleasant smell of a conspiracy theory (I'm not saying that this is what you are after).

In my view, the average joe's view on politics is flawed, as on one hand, it denies the politician's humanity, implying a machine-like functioning.
On the other hand, it is too ideology-driven and doesn't take into account the tit-for-tat that is politic's grease. In the real world, there have to be deals to get something working, and it's mostly useless trying to push through a certain point without making accomodations for 'the other side'.

I hope my impression is wrong, but wouldn't that make politicians even more vulnerable to lobbying? To be able to pay your expenses, you need to have enough money. Where does that money come from?

btw, sorry for my sometimes erratic argumentation, it's still early here and I haven't had my coffee yet...
Correct, and re-election costs money.

Why would someone spend 10 or 20 million dollars to run for an office that pays 150 grand per year?

Most senators have to raise a minimum of 150 grand per week during a term to be able to run again.

If there are no problems and everyone is happy with the way things are going, donations to the campaign war chest taper off to nothing. When there are hot button issues at hand, people vote for their prejudices with their wallets.

Politicians aren't the only ones who manipulate the public for cash. You can add lawyers, editors, and preachers to the list.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Quote:

These actually sound pretty spot on to me!! ;-)

I think some politicians might start out with good intentions... but quickly "learn how the system works." REAL CHANGE has to come from the citizenry.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
good post...

your possible solution looks solid, but like others have said, it would be hard to find out where "their" money came from, and it wouldn't be too long before they figured out some loop-hole...

Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Even the fairest read of the legislative history of the U.S. Congress will demonstrate that even without pay contentious issues were between powerful, and wealthy interest which were as intractable as any today, unless you believe the issue of slavey was handled on the basis of what was in the best interest of the country and not the competing vested economic interest.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Even the fairest read of the legislative history of the U.S. Congress will demonstrate that even without pay contentious issues were between powerful, and wealthy interest which were as intractable as any today, unless you believe the issue of slavey was handled on the basis of what was in the best interest of the country and not the competing vested economic interest.
All men will do what is in their own best interest, almost without exception. Politicians are still humans, first and foremost.

I doubt we will ever find a cure for that.

The other problem (which I am surprised noone has mentioned) is that if legislators served wihtout pay they would have to be wealthy enough to afford to serve. This would effectively eliminate the majority of the citizens of the country from serving.

As soon as you introduce the effects of donated money, however, you taint the purity of the process.

Dichotomies are fun, aren't they?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Quote:
All men will do what is in their own best interest, almost without exception. Politicians are still humans, first and foremost.

I doubt we will ever find a cure for that.
I think the population as a whole needs to get away from relying on politicians to provide their needs.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Unfortunately the two party system and lobbying are institutionalized in the USA.

When you register to vote you register as a Republican or Democrat - and some as Independents. Why ask the question & allow registration under a party banner at all? It just forces voters into two camps - people vote to support their declared party & repeat the party talking points instead of really looking at the issues.

Quote:
the early days of the country and serve at their own expense.
Lobbying is institutionalized and politicians work for lobbyists not for constituents. Candidates can rack up huge election bills knowing that if they win the lobbyists will bail them out.

A local state rep received substantial funds from the tort-reform lobby. After many years in office towing the line she recently voted against the lobby - so they funded her opponent's campaign instead and now have a new stooge representing them in Austin.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:

If a problem was resolved it would no longer be a wedge issue, and those who contribute to the campaigns of politicians on both sides of the fence so that they will fight for whatever viewpoint would stop sending greenbacks.

Most of the Senate are millionaires, to whom their salary is of no consiquence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies