U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How do u like to be called..?
Black 18 85.71%
African - American 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM

249 posts, read 412,920 times

Advertisements

Makes no difference to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM

947 posts, read 470,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
For one, I am not a guy... for two.. I have always prefered being called black. I am not from Africa, I have never been to Africa, and I never plan on visiting Africa.

Also, I don't believe in following the ignorance of the Liberals that want to call black people African Americans. By saying African Americans are black only, they are showing their ignorance.

A German American is someone that is from Germany, and moves here. Guess what, they can be black, white, yellow, brown etc...

Just as an African American can be a white person that is from Africa and moves to the USA, they would then be African American
Can I buy you an internet beer or glass of wine. Hell, after that bit, I'm willing to spring for a Long Island Iced Tea.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM

6,067 posts, read 5,257,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
OK? and what does this have to do with the fact, that I do not want to be called African American? And the fact, that I will call the people who do call me as such a racist democrat?
You know when I was in Africa I met many black people who had never heard of "American" They didn’t refer to themselves as Africans either. My tribal designation to them was made clear when I (after becoming exasperated in trying to tell them what I was) said “Negro” They knew this as a word denoting an African who has been westernized. After all, it is just a word.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Status: "It's Cold...the Homeless Need Your Donations" (set 16 days ago)

5,518 posts, read 2,190,777 times
Nobody cares that some describe themselves as "Irish-Americans" (especially in March) or "Italian-Americans" (especially in October).

"African-Americans" on the other hand...

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

318 posts, read 205,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Nobody cares that some describe themselves as "Irish-Americans" (especially in March) or "Italian-Americans" (especially in October).

"African-Americans" on the other hand...

Okay, but the point is, you say some describe.. so why should black people be told they are to be called this? Well besides Racism from the Democrats.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM

2,574 posts, read 775,125 times
If the term AA was neutral,it would also be politically correct...

The blacks are indeed of African origin..,

But the "civil rights activists " & the "reverands " don't use the term geographically...
They use it politically & culturally...
They want to Africanise ,or re-africanise ( TV series "Roots ") the blacks.
To distance them from the whites...
To instiil poison & hate against the whites & the pro-white blacks ,whom they call "Uncle Tom" & "house negro "( Malcolm X).

Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

But the "civil rights activists " & the "reverands " don't use the term geographically...
To instiil poison & hate against the whites & the pro-white blacks ,whom they call "Uncle Tom" & "house negro "( Malcolm X).
Your use of the word "Africanise" is a dead give away to your real interest and concern for African Americans. Its pretty hard to nazi where you are coming from.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM

2,574 posts, read 775,125 times
It's pretty hard to...what ..???

Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It's pretty hard to...what ..???
Forgive me if I have you pegged wrong, but I seem to associate the word Africanize as rhetoric from those right of center on the subject equality for, Blacks, Mexicans and Jews

Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM

438 posts, read 291,449 times
Quote:

So you would like Black people not to learn their roots and heritage, typical White supremacist thinking. When the ancestors of Black Americans were brought here, there was an intentional effort to destroy their identity and force European culture and names onto them, to break their will and self esteem. In other words, Cultural Genocide.

The exact same thing was done to Native Americans, though never fully accomplished. Natives had their history and culture destroyed, religion/Christianity was especially useful in destroying their identity.

What you and others like you support is the perpetuation of cultural genocide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies