Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Short answer for libs who don't like off shore oil spills-

ANWAR

If you don't crave $10 a gallon gas, don't *****.
Gas is already 15.00 a gal...add it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 AM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
In reality, at $2.75 per gallon, gas is actually less than it was in 1957 when it sold for about .28 gal.

Just do the math .... in 1957 you could buy about 3.5 gallons of gas with that silver dollar in your pocket. Take the same silver dollar today (worth roughly $19) and you can buy 6.9 gallons.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't wish to sound callused but, we can replace 43,000 people, we just can't replace a planet.
The planet takes care of itself. That doesn't mean we can abuse it with non-biodegradeable trash.

For instance, even though the oil spill from the Exxon Valdez has yet to completely biograde, it will eventually do that.

Nature has it's work and timing. The sun, wave action and weather all contribute to the break down of oil in water. That is why, sometimes, oil cleanup experts leave the spills alone.

Oil floats in salt water and sometimes in fresh water. If the oil is heavy, it will sink and mix with water and particles of soil forming "tar balls". The "tar balls" are hard on the outside and soft on the inside. They don't pose the same threat as a concentrated oil slick.

Because of a threat to wildlife, businesses and civilization, the decision to break up the oil faster than the natural elements is used. Dispersants are used which are toxic and can be absorbed into the food chain.

We can replace businesses, civilization and wildlife, but putting toxins into the food chain is worse than a spill that will eventually biograde. The oil will also eventually evaporate. Nature takes it's course, putting in toxins to speed the recovery is not always the best for the environment. If we have a spill, I wish we could find a better way to clean that up than the use of toxic dispersants.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I never claimed the disaster is natural, I said the material is natural. Are you now telling me oil doesnt appear naturally?
See below.

Quote:
2 different individuals with 2 different point of views? That is allowed right?

do you understand how its both, its a NATURAL disaster, the location has just changed. Oil after all, does appear in the environment..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I read your comments but those two are really amazing. You falsly assume that oil underground will necessarily and eventually leak into the ocean.
So you believe you are more qualified than the US Geological Services on the topic who discuss the natural leakage intothe ocean? Tell me what your qualifications are, I'm anxiously awaiting to hear about them..
Quote:
It would be better if you would just stop caling this a natural event instead of trying to modify reality to fit with your argument.
I never said oil leaking from a barge is natural..
Quote:
Yes, in some cases, oil will leak naturally
So you agree with me, but arguing that I'm wrong anyways?
Quote:
it's caused by human intervention and therefor, not a "natural" disaster.

Any way you slice it or dice it, it's not a natural disaster.
AGAIN, the material indeed is natural, and it leaks into the ocean and lakes ALL THE TIME.. The location of the leak has simply changed from where it was drilled, to where it leaked.
Quote:
Funny how even your own link makes a distinction between humain caused leaks and natural seeping.
So have I.. But the little voices are keeping you from hearing the truth..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
See below.
Quote:
do you understand how its both, its a NATURAL disaster, the location has just changed. Oil after all, does appear in the environment..
Unless you can come up with some magical way to stop oil from leaking into the ocean NATURALLY.. this comment is correct. If you think I'm wrong, notify the US Geological Services that oil does not leak and provide them with the evidence that they are wrong as well.

Hell, you and George Lucas should sue the federal government for putting out LIES, because you are now saying they are wrong and oil doesnt leak...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
The planet takes care of itself. That doesn't mean we can abuse it with non-biodegradeable trash.

For instance, even though the oil spill from the Exxon Valdez has yet to completely biograde, it will eventually do that.

Nature has it's work and timing. The sun, wave action and weather all contribute to the break down of oil in water. That is why, sometimes, oil cleanup experts leave the spills alone.

Oil floats in salt water and sometimes in fresh water. If the oil is heavy, it will sink and mix with water and particles of soil forming "tar balls". The "tar balls" are hard on the outside and soft on the inside. They don't pose the same threat as a concentrated oil slick.

Because of a threat to wildlife, businesses and civilization, the decision to break up the oil faster than the natural elements is used. Dispersants are used which are toxic and can be absorbed into the food chain.

We can replace businesses, civilization and wildlife, but putting toxins into the food chain is worse than a spill that will eventually biograde. The oil will also eventually evaporate. Nature takes it's course, putting in toxins to speed the recovery is not always the best for the environment. If we have a spill, I wish we could find a better way to clean that up than the use of toxic dispersants.
A day late and a dollar short! Complaining about toxins now... ... you, me and everyone you know has already ingested a boatload of industrial toxins. My genetic inheritance is all that stands between me and the big C. The popular wisdom is that your genetics pre-dispose one to cancer. It's the opposite! Your genetics now decide whether you will remain free of cancer! YMMDV. Our kids, however, don't stand as good a chance. They will have double the bio-load of toxins at half our age. If you are a boomer and have little ones you had best move out of the big cities and feed them an exemplary diet and give them every nutritional supplement known to man or you will outlive them. I'm serious.

Oil itself is toxic and the best way to clean up a spill is not to have one! What, a drilling rig in the Alaska refuge can't blow up and spill oil all over the tundra?? Oh, I get it, its only polar bears and funny little people with squinty eyes up there. Nice. The conservative answer to everything. Do it in someone elses neighborhood. The fallacy of that kind of thinking has yet to be felt by the upper middle classes of America and Europe, but it will.

H

Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raui View Post
I could not beleive what I heard from the "de facto" leader of the GOP; Rush Limbaugh, this idiot claims that there is nothing wrong with the oil spill in the gulf, that somehow this is part of nature, and it will just "go away"?????, we are talking about a disaster of giantic proportions, and this fat junkie, self procalimed expert, trivializes it as if nothing happens!!!!, the adherence to stupid ideology by the gop alienates the people with any kind of intelligence and/or common sense, is this their plan to re-take the white house?
He's also saying that environmentalists planned the spill.

He must be hitting the Vicodin again.

And isn't that big, fat idiot supposed to be in Costa Rica or something?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

I am getting very tired of all the press he gets...for stupid lies and convoluted babel..... lets get together and buy him a one way ticket to Costa Rica where he can get all the free health care , he obviously needs.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

He has a big honking house in Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies