U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should it be ONLY English signs in our stores?
YES, this is America, not Spanish-speaking country 148 57.59%
No, we have 50 million Hispanic's in the U.S. 76 29.57%
I don't care 33 12.84%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,652 posts, read 16,306,792 times
Reputation: 6797

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
I'm not racist or anything, and don't get wrong; Spanish is a beautiful language. BUT, it's very annoying when I read Spanish signs below English in our stores, packages etc.
I don't care if nearly 50 million hispanics speaks Spanish, they should learn English. This is America, a English speaking country, not Spanish speaking country. I don't think they even care about learning English because they have Spanish signs and speakers everywhere.
I'm also sick & tired of going to stores and accociates not being able to Speak English, or speaking Spanish with accociates. They even speak Spanish with me directly without asking if I speak the language or not. It's very rude and annoying for us who don't speak Spanish.

So please, do NOT include Spanish in signs at stores or anywhere else!
If they are including Spanish, then include French too!
We have Canada north of us!
Yes, and 110 years ago you might have seen German or Swedish signs. In 1900, Duluth, MN had Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, German, and possibly French newspapers. These immigrant communities, in their first years, read their own newspapers, ate their own food, and practiced their own customs. Eventually they assimilated.

Also, the U.S. isn't the only country that exists or matters. Because of NAFTA, among other things, many of the same products you buy in the U.S. are also sold in Mexico and Canada. It's not only the Latino community in the U.S. whom Spanish writing on packages is intended for. Do you think all Mexicans in Mexico should be forced to learn English? And in the Wal-Marts in Mexico I've seen, they have English signs below Spanish-language signs for the benefit of American expats and tourists in Mexico.

It's also spelled "associate", not "accociate". In Spanish, it's (Walmex calls them this) "asociado". Although I agree that if you are employed in the mainland U.S. in sales, you better learn English quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
 
Location: East Germany in America
13,841 posts, read 12,057,985 times
Reputation: 11883
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes, and 110 years ago you might have seen German or Swedish signs. In 1900, Duluth, MN had Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, German, and possibly French newspapers. These immigrant communities, in their first years, read their own newspapers, ate their own food, and practiced their own customs. Eventually they assimilated.
You know, I've been pointing this out since I've been here at CD Forums. May as well save your breath, they don't get it. They think that prior to the influx of Hispanics, nary a foreign word was uttered on US soil. They think as each immigrant hopped off the ship, they immediately rolled around on the dock, turned somersaults, and spoke in tongues (English).

They simply want to whine about the discordant sound of Spanish injuring their delicate tympanic membranes when they know full well that pretty much all of the Hispanic population will be assimilated and speaking English within a few years, just like all the foreign language speakers of the past have been... even though the first generation DID speak their languages and had their newspapers and had their signs initially.

My Great grandmother attended Norwegian speaking church services right here in good ol' 'merica. I don't recall any family lore that speaks of her being persecuted and burned at the stake for speaking Norwegian on US soil, either. Her children spoke a tiny bit of Norwegian and a lot of English. Her grandchildren spoke no Norwegian at all and all English. One of her great grandchildren speaks broken Norwegian (me).

So PLEASE people, give in up. You know damned well English is not going anywhere. If somebody wants to talk to you, they'll use English. Otherwise I guess they are not talking to you.

As for signs being written in Spanish or Mongolian or Martian... let's just not have any signs. Fair for everyone. And how about if you get put to bed without dinner tonight?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 7,556,838 times
Reputation: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
You misspelled asinine, but maybe it was a typo...


Let's go back to your priceless


"Immigrants are U.S. citizens? "

Love the smack. Somewhat fitting.


Many immigrants are U.S. citizens, einstein.

No kidding....but when you say "immigrants are U.S. citizens" is that not a blanket statement?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,516,698 times
Reputation: 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
I'm not racist or anything, and don't get wrong; Spanish is a beautiful language. BUT, it's very annoying when I read Spanish signs below English in our stores, packages etc.
I don't care if nearly 50 million hispanics speaks Spanish, they should learn English. This is America, a English speaking country, not Spanish speaking country. I don't think they even care about learning English because they have Spanish signs and speakers everywhere.
I'm also sick & tired of going to stores and accociates not being able to Speak English, or speaking Spanish with accociates. They even speak Spanish with me directly without asking if I speak the language or not. It's very rude and annoying for us who don't speak Spanish.

So please, do NOT include Spanish in signs at stores or anywhere else!
If they are including Spanish, then include French too!
We have Canada north of us!

By the year 2050, whites will be a minority and Spanish will be on top. So, just want 3 more decades and your argument will be invalid. The Spanish will be complaining about YOU on internet chat boards.

Incidently, we still use inches and pounds, which is hilarious. Because all US manufacturing companies, well, they use inches and lbs, in their manufacturing processes, right?

/learned my microns working at Caterpillar.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386246/7/PEHJ7046-03.pdf (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 10:14 AM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,674,331 times
Reputation: 22340
How about signs then that put every language known to mankind on every one of them just in case someone has immigrated who refuses to ever learn English - we wouldn't want to discriminate would we?

And why is it that Americans can drive in Mexico without demanding all the signs be in English? Why is it so easy for Americans to know that "Alto" means stop but the illegals cannot ever learn that "Stop" means alto?

Signs already have shapes and colors to show their international meaning -- but it's utterly ridiculous to put 100 or all the world languages on them all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 1,003,108 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
I'm not racist or anything, and don't get wrong; Spanish is a beautiful language. BUT, it's very annoying when I read Spanish signs below English in our stores, packages etc.[/color]
I don't care if nearly 50 million hispanics speaks Spanish, they should learn English. This is America, a English speaking country, not Spanish speaking country. I don't think they even care about learning English because they have Spanish signs and speakers everywhere.[/color]
I'm also sick & tired of going to stores and accociates not being able to Speak English, or speaking Spanish with accociates. They even speak Spanish with me directly without asking if I speak the language or not. It's very rude and annoying for us who don't speak Spanish.[/color]
[/color]
So please, do NOT include Spanish in signs at stores or anywhere else![/color]
If they are including Spanish, then include French too!
We have Canada north of us![/color]
How will anyone find Los Angeles. What will we call the guacamole and the tacos in restaurants?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
 
241 posts, read 244,402 times
Reputation: 130
Honestly, I just don't care.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Reputation: 9877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you live in 2010? Or do you live in the 1500-1750 time period? I wasn't alive then and neither were you. What happened before this nation was a nation is of little importance to where I live today. I live in 2010 and as I said, 50 years ago and as late as even 30 years ago, the need for Spanish on adverts and signs in this nation wasn't widely necessary. That's a fact.

The only reason why it's necessary now and even allowed is because of unchecked immigration into the USA. Period.

When the nation minded its borders immigration was gradual, when it came as a flood that's when the problems started as well as a shift in languages. That is a fact.

It even looks to me like the plan is to divide this nation into spanish speaking and english speaking. Look at what happened to Quebec.
Nothing "happened" to Quebec. It's been mainly French-speaking for as long as the 13 colonies that formed the U.S. in 1776 have been English-speaking, and nearly as long or longer than most parts of the Americas have been either English, Spanish or Portuguese-speaking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Maine
898 posts, read 1,277,200 times
Reputation: 559
Puerto Ricans speak Spanish and are natural born U.S. Citizens.

Road signs can be printed in English and another language if there is a valid public safety reason for doing so (like a high percentage of Spanish drivers in the area). Business can do whatever they want.

Do remember that the United States has no official language, just a de facto language.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,051 posts, read 31,805,587 times
Reputation: 10541
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Do remember that the United States has no official language, just a de facto language.
That's called splitting hairs. There are plenty of people in the United States whose first language is neither English nor Spanish. How far would you propose we go to accommodate them? And the next question is, doesn't it facilitate every facet of life in this country if everyone can communicate in one language? (I mean, of course, in public. Speak whatever language you want to in the privacy of your home).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top