Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be ONLY English signs in our stores?
YES, this is America, not Spanish-speaking country 153 57.95%
No, we have 50 million Hispanic's in the U.S. 77 29.17%
I don't care 34 12.88%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times

Advertisements

It's discriminatory to non English and non Spanish speakers to only have Spanish accommodation.

Of course, stores can do what they want, but accommodation of immigrant culture thwarts assimilation, which in turn thwarts that immigrant groups' chances of success in America. When my father came to this country as 13 year old, he spent one year in intensive English program before he was moved into regular classes. He still has quite a heavy accent, but he doesn't need "Frutas" written under the "Fruits" sign at the supermarket to know which aisle to go down.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Great- so Americans have to suffer to accomodate immigrants....and you seem to be fine with that
So hearing a foreign speaker or seeing something written in another language causes you suffering? Sounds like something serious--I'd see a doctor.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

50 posts, read 154,136 times
When your traveling abroad you see a lot of signs with English on them in countries that are not native English countries... Imagine a trip to a store where half the people in the store are wondering around aimlessly because they cant read any of the signs... Not only would it suck for them, but I'm sure it would make your shopping experience pretty awful.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Drive down I-19 from Tucson and Nogales. The road markers are in kilometers. I don't care about the spanish signs but trying to convert the kilometers to miles in my head can be rough.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
When your traveling abroad you see a lot of signs with English on them in countries that are not native English countries... Imagine a trip to a store where half the people in the store are wondering around aimlessly because they cant read any of the signs... Not only would it suck for them, but I'm sure it would make your shopping experience pretty awful.
That's okay, though. We 'merican folks expect to be accommodated when we go abroad. If nobody around us speaks English, we s**t our pants and then throw a tantrum about how we are not being accommodated. But, to accommodate anyone else? No dice. Screw 'em. It's a one way street.

And before you make the comment "NO... it's only in Spanish here in the US because the Spanish speakers are coming here and expecting to be pampered," just don't. Think about that a minute. When you go abroad, you see nearly everything written in English (and the native language). It's not in Russian. It's not in Spanish. It's not in Urdu. It's not in Kalaallisut. It's in English. Specifically to pamper Y O U.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
When you go abroad, you see nearly everything written in English (and the native language). It's not in Russian. It's not in Spanish. It's not in Urdu. It's not in Kalaallisut. It's in English. Specifically to pamper Y O U.
That's only because other countries want our tourist dollars. If Americans weren't going to spend their money in those places, those signs wouldn't be there. Not exactly the same thing as signs in a foreign language to accommodate some part of the resident population.

There are several generations of Turks who have lived in Germany (they go there to do the labor-intensive jobs that Germans no longer wish to do). Not only won't you find too many signs in Turkish anywhere in Germany, none of those people are even citizens...and some of them are third generation! The United States is unusual for allowing anyone born here to be a citizen. People in other countries don't look at it that way.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Great- so Americans have to suffer to accomodate immigrants....and you seem to be fine with that
Immigrants ARE Americans - assuming that by 'American' you mean US citizen.

So, you're fine with Americans having to suffer to accommodate you? That's attitude shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the reason this nation was formed.

Since immigrants ARE US citizens they have the exact same rights as you. You have the EXACT SAME obligation to them as they do to you.

Last edited by filihok; 05-08-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
LMAO. I grew up near the Quebec border. Signs were in English and French. I moved to Florida. Signs were in English and Spanish. In Boston, around Chinatown, signs were in English and Mandarin. My life went on. I don't hate the people or feel xenophobic, so seeing or hearing other languages doesn't bother me. In fact, I quite enjoy it. I speak three of them.

If you speak three languages, what are you? A. Trilingual If you speak two languages, what are you? A. Bilingual If you speak one language, what are you? A. Probably an American!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So hearing a foreign speaker or seeing something written in another language causes you suffering? Sounds like something serious--I'd see a doctor.
Not so much but....

paying for everything to be printed in other languages

paying for interpreters

Nice spin attempt but I was talking about these types of things.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Immigrants ARE Americans - assuming that by 'American' you mean US citizen.

So, you're fine with Americans having to suffer to accommodate you? That's attitude shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the reason this nation was formed.

Since immigrants ARE US citizens they have the exact same rights as you. You have the EXACT SAME obligation to them as they do to you.

Immigrants are U.S. citizens?

What's all this hoopla in Arizona about if immigrants are U.S. citizens?Thanks for that. I like comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies