Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

I have in the past and would in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have to admit with the criminals becoming the victim :I would hesitate more.You never know when the law is goign to turn on you has the violent person now days. We see all the time the woman on TV start to attack the cop;so I doubt catching those doesn't mean it happens thousands of time a day in this country.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I also have and would gladly do so again. Several years ago I saw a purse snatching take place, chased the robber, caught him and "subdued" him while a mall cop (a woman, maybe 5'0" and 90#, in a golf cart with a blinky light) called the police. As they cuffed him and were talking to witnesses, I slipped away as I had made sure he was unable to get back up after I had caught him. It made the news that night!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Yes, absolutely.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 PM

139 posts, read 254,675 times
Unless it was being committed by an Orangutan. I don't want my face pulled off.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
NHartphotog,

Yea, well, I'm going to be the jerk. Depends what the women did to deserve such action. There are always two sides to every story. I mean if she didn't cook the man's dinner and have it ready by six, i see no reason to intervene. Men are very busy creatures and do not have time to worry about late dinners.

Okay, all joking aside, I'm in no way condoning or supporting violence in any way shape or form against a women or anyone for that matter, but i figured I'd attempt to lighten the mood.

In all seriousness, because of the legal ramifications of what could happen if you attempt to involve yourself in these sorts of situation, it is best to call the proper authorities and watch from a safe distance. You can also keep score on a 3x5 note pad and tally up each round to pass the time before the authorities arrive just kidding. You would be amazed how many would be "hero's" end up on the wrong end of these things in court. However, personally, i would probably yell at the top of my lungs for help and hope that a grown man yelling like a women would scare the would be attacker off!!

Yelling is not just a form of safety defense for women. Yelling for help while running in circles is completely gender neutral in my book. I can yell till the cows come home until i get help!! (Guys i'm serious yelling like a women at the top of your lungs works, i was approached by two people that i thought were going to rob me, and i yelled for help as loud as i could, it totally threw them completely off guard and they ran for the hills.) You can imagine how embarrassed i was when the two elderly ladies came back 30 minutes later inquiring why i yelled for help like a little girl, when they were only approaching me for directions to the nearest bingo hall. (trust no one and i scare easily...this was during the whole health care debate when old people were going nuts, so i figured better safe than sorry is my motto)

Long story short, i walked them to the bingo hall to show no hard feelings, and those old biddies beat me up and robbed me right in front of the bingo hall. You have no idea what humiliation truly is until you're receiving a beat down from two 86 year old women yelling, "how do you like universal health care now b%tch, you want grandma's health care, well you're not getting it!" Yea, i've been in therapy ever since..
You scared me there in the beginning. I have come to the rescue of women and children and the elderly several times. The first time for me was when I was 12 and I threatened my step dad with a 2 x 4 to make him stop hitting and choking my Mom. That was in 1972 and my Moms friends said pretty much what you started your post with and it was the same thing my step dad would say. " If you would only get dinner on time, he would not have a reason to hit you " My Mom had six kids and ran the house, but if dinner was even 5 minutes late she could get a busted lip or a black eye. This was my second step dad. My first step dad not only beat my Mom, but several times he bull whipped her, this was in the 50's before I was born. Last summer her heard a commotion out in front of our house at the corner, when I went out to check it out, I sort of have to because I am neighborhood watch block captain, there was a tall young man yelling at a petite young woman. He was trying to make her get back in his van and she did not want to. He called her a name and shoved her to the ground and I almost lost it, I yelled at him to stop and told him to pick on someone his own size. He took off in his van and when the what turned out to be a 15 year old girl walked past my gate, I asked her if she was OK, she told me to mind my f"""ing business. I was shocked.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Say you saw a guy (without a weapon) beating up a woman on the street, trying to steal her pocketbook. Would you intervene, assuming you either had a weapon of some sort or were physically equal to the attacker? I don't mean call the police, I mean actually knock the criminal on the head.

If yes, are you male or female? If no, why not? (fear of legal retribution, etc.)
Yes I would intervene. I have intervened with assaults in progress, and would do so again. I HATE varmints! Whether they go on two legs or four, they are all the same to me. Minus one small detail, I have a bit more respect for the four legged ones. They are just doing what comes natural, for no more motive than being hungry.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
I think it would depend on various factors within any one particular scenario.
A lot of "what-if's" and "what could be the outcome" would come to play in any one situation but if it were a truly vicious beating going on and there was NO help or police anywhere around......I WOULD feel very compelled to intervene in some way.
Just not sure what it would be.

Do I get to have easy access to some type of weapon?

If not......I would surely hope my intervention would result in the assaulter being rendered unconscious rather quickly, or I dread the thought of some of those "what-if's" by the time any help arrives.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
I WILL always intervene, and yes I have intervened on MANY occasions! Interveneing doesn't always mean getting physically involved either. I'm the one on the phone with 911 giving them DETAILED descriptions of assailants/victims/vehicles/ EVERYTHING!

I'm female!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
I think it would depend on various factors within any one particular scenario.
A lot of "what-if's" and "what could be the outcome" would come to play in any one situation but if it were a truly vicious beating going on and there was NO help or police anywhere around......I WOULD feel very compelled to intervene in some way.
Just not sure what it would be.

Do I get to have easy access to some type of weapon?

If not......I would surely hope my intervention would result in the assaulter being rendered unconscious rather quickly, or I dread the thought of some of those "what-if's" by the time any help arrives.
You are over thinking it a bit. You won't have time to consider any mitigating factors, unless the ones involved are people you know, and well. You assess, take the tactical situation to mind, and either act, or not, based on what's in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies