Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post

Maybe she said real America because to her, in Iowa the people are "real" and will help each other instead of stepping over a homeless person dying in the street.

Maybe she likes to be able to talk to her neighbors instead of having to learn spanish in order to do so or maybe she likes the fact that she doesn't have to learn spanish in order to be qualified for a job.

There could be many reasons why she said Iowa is real America to her but she is attacked and most likely she is use to walking down the street and actually talking to many people on her way. Those people actually care about her and would come to help if she needed help. She would come if they needed help.

That is real America and instead of knowing that, you that have attacked her do not have a clue.
You are absolutely right, I like the simplicity and the friendliness of the people here, to me that is priceless. When I lived in New Jersey, it was so bizarre how rude and unfriendly people were, I remember sometimes going to a grocery store and the cashier wont even look at you or talk to you.

It is nice to live in a city that is not dirty, full of garbage, graffiti and neighborhoods that look like a 3rd world craphole.

I have nothing against immigration, my parents were immigrants, but I hate immigrants who make no effort to learn English and want to turn neighborhoods into "Little Mexico" or "Little whatever". Miami to me is one of the best examples of the type of 3rd world craphole city I dislike.

When I was in El Paso, I noticed the same type of mentality, people almost give you **** if you try to speak English and you are in the United States!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It's great!

We say that 20 below keeps the riff raff out.

I always tell my kids- never live in a place where it is warm enough to sleep outside.

We probably are somewhat arrogant because we have a higher educational level than the rest of the US, higher test scores, lower crime and lower unemployment rate. That is what makes us better. I will take the above, and you can take your coastal view.

PS- Iowa is not flat- it is hilly.
I do not have a coastal view - can't afford one. However, for six months of the year I do have glorious mountain view.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are absolutely right, I like the simplicity and the friendliness of the people here, to me that is priceless. When I lived in New Jersey, it was so bizarre how rude and unfriendly people were, I remember sometimes going to a grocery store and the cashier wont even look at you or talk to you.

It is nice to live in a city that is not dirty, full of garbage, graffiti and neighborhoods that look like a 3rd world craphole.

I have nothing against immigration, my parents were immigrants, but I hate immigrants who make no effort to learn English and want to turn neighborhoods into "Little Mexico" or "Little whatever". Miami to me is one of the best examples of the type of 3rd world craphole city I dislike.

When I was in El Paso, I noticed the same type of mentality, people almost give you **** if you try to speak English and you are in the United States!
So, your definition of real America is a place where everyone thinks, talks, and acts just like you.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Seems strange that so many state forums have threads that start out-------------" Why is everybody from California moving here? "-------" What is attracting Californians?

It seems in many ,many state forums, Californians asking questions about relocating cuz they want to get the heck out is the main topic.
Here's an answer to that burning question:

Because selling my house meant not having to worry about paying for my kids to go to college...because I lived on top of fault line that was at very high risk for being the site of a magnitude 7 or higher earthquake...because my husband was offered a promotion and a nice raise in another part of the country.

Nothing to do with immigrants. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Seems strange that so many state forums have threads that start out-------------" Why is everybody from California moving here? "-------" What is attracting Californians?

It seems in many ,many state forums, Californians asking questions about relocating cuz they want to get the heck out is the main topic.
Most of those people are not "from California" except in passing. Ask them where they were BEFORE they moved to CA, why they moved to CA, and what they were trying to escape.

I'm a native, I see more OOS license plates every day. Most of the people I meet are transplants from elsewhere. Seems people are STILL streaming into CA at a pretty good clip. People stream in and out of everywhere if you hadn't noticed. You probably haven't. It's hard to see with your eyes closed. If you actually read the CA forums, every other one is someone saying they want to move here. Most won't, but many want. I don't know why it's important to you to believe everyone is fleeing CA?.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Iowa is rapidly becoming a state for the aged and for low education day labor jobs.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think the poster just got a dose of the part of America that she dislikes.
Maybe she said real America because to her, in Iowa the people are "real" and will help each other instead of stepping over a homeless person dying in the street.
Maybe she likes to be able to talk to her neighbors instead of having to learn spanish in order to do so or maybe she likes the fact that she doesn't have to learn spanish in order to be qualified for a job.
There could be many reasons why she said Iowa is real America to her but she is attacked and most likely she is use to walking down the street and actually talking to many people on her way. Those people actually care about her and would come to help if she needed help. She would come if they needed help.
That is real America and instead of knowing that, you that have attacked her do not have a clue.
I don't know anyone in Colorado who would step over a homeless person dying in the street. I do not go into apoplexy upon hearing people speaking Spanish. Most of the Spanish speakers I know also speak English, and if someone is in trouble, it's certainly possible to get one's point across w/o speaking the same language. There are a few jobs here that look for bilingual applicants, mostly b/c they serve bilingual populations. Employers can ask for any job requirement they want. They don't always find people with all of them.

I disagree that only in the midwest in general and Iowa in particular would someone help you if you needed help. I have lived on both coasts, the midwest and the western US.

Quote:

Have you ever heard of "Chinatown" in NYC, SF and other cities? The various "Little Italy" areas of most eastern cities? The "Polish" part of towns in the midwest? My husband's grandparents lived in a little town in Nebraska where it was not necessary for his grandmother to learn English b/c many people spoke Swedish. The church I attend in Boulder, CO had services in Swedish until the 1960s. This melting pot business is a lot of nostalgia. It was not like that in real life.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Iowa is rapidly becoming a state for the aged and for low education day labor jobs.
This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard:

" For the second time in as many years, a national financial publication has ranked Des Moines as the best place in the nation for business and careers.

Last year’s top ranking came from Marketwatch, while Wednesday’s first place came from Forbes Magazine, which listed Des Moines seventh last year"

There are plenty of white collar jobs here and Des Moines is the third insurance capital of the world.

In a way, I am glad so many people are ignorant about Iowa, like the fellow Hawkeye fan said, it keeps the riff-raff away.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:20 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard:

" For the second time in as many years, a national financial publication has ranked Des Moines as the best place in the nation for business and careers.

Last year’s top ranking came from Marketwatch, while Wednesday’s first place came from Forbes Magazine, which listed Des Moines seventh last year"

There are plenty of white collar jobs here and Des Moines is the third insurance capital of the world.

In a way, I am glad so many people are ignorant about Iowa, like the fellow Hawkeye fan said, it keeps the riff-raff away.
Hey, I am getting my info from Iowa sources. Sorry if it hit a nerve.

UI looks to enhance study of aging, ‘brain drain’ - The Daily Iowan

Iowa 2010 - Stopping the Young Professionals Brain Drain (Feature) » Video » Iowa Public Television

MPR: Halting Iowa's brain drain

Iowa's Aging Population Raises Housing Concerns

Iowa's Aging Population

Old 05-08-2010, 02:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
So, your definition of real America is a place where everyone thinks, talks, and acts just like you.
You know you can start disregarding anyone who uses a phrase like "real America." On the other hand, at least Repubocrat has learned not to start threads by explaining that he was discussing this or that issue with his mother (which he did on a couple of occasions). Apparently, he's learned to think for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies