Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Despite the cries of some in the "tea party" saying taxes are out of control; an analysis from USA Today found American's paid the least amount of taxes since Harry Truman occupied 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. When you include federal, state, and local taxes, Americans paid just over 9 percent of their income in taxes.

Americans Tax Rate At Lowest Level Since 1950 - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/consumer/taxes.income.sales.2.1687206.html - broken link)
How do you fiscal conservatives view this info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
I imagine that we pay around 42%+ in taxes, which include federal taxes, state taxes, property taxes, sports equipment taxes (fishing poles, guns, etc.), bed taxes, gasoline tax, telephone tax, sales tax, alcohol tax, tobacco tax, licenses and registration (which are taxes), travel taxes (at some ports), and so forth...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I imagine that we pay around 42%+ in taxes, which include federal taxes, state taxes, property taxes, sports equipment taxes (fishing poles, guns, etc.), bed taxes, gasoline tax, telephone tax, sales tax, alcohol tax, tobacco tax, licenses and registration (which are taxes), travel taxes (at some ports), and so forth...
Well your are right about the imagination part...LOL

Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Hmm, the total loss of my paycheck to state and federal government is about 20% total and that's not including sales taxes, property taxes, and taxes/fees tacked onto things like landline home phone, cell phone, and internet. Try again

Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Gosh I don't know who to believe?

A newspaper of record like USAtoday with actual reporters or two random right wing ideologues posting on the internet....LOL

"When you include federal, state, and local taxes, Americans paid just over 9 percent of their income in taxes."

Oh I know! These must be very rich right wing ideologues in much higher tax brackets....LOL

Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
U.S Taxes Lowest Since Truman
The headline conveniently ignores the fact that there was a time when we had no income tax.

Wages are down and with a progressive tax structure that means so are taxes.
Many state and local taxes are on the rise as those governments deal with their own money mismanagement issues.
Our money is also buying us less thanks to the recession.
So the article is typical MSM feel good whitewash.

Since just 47% of us pay a federal income tax, does anyone wonder how Obama plans to pay for the liberal utopia he has planned?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The headline conveniently ignores the fact that there was a time when we had no income tax.

Many state and local taxes are on the rise as those governments deal with their own money mismanagement issues.

Since just 47% of us pay a federal income tax, does anyone wonder how Obama plans to pay for the liberal utopia he has planned?
Oh the right wingers favorite half truth......Only 47% of Americans pay income tax!

But income tax is only 55% of Federal revenues....payroll tax is 40% of Federal revenues and every working American pays that....LOL

The purposely left that fact out.....Makes their rich masters seem so mistreated when you only mention income tax.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Gosh I don't know who to believe?

A newspaper of record like USAtoday with actual reporters or two random right wing ideologues posting on the internet....LOL

"When you include federal, state, and local taxes, Americans paid just over 9 percent of their income in taxes."

Oh I know! These must be very rich right wing ideologues in much higher tax brackets....LOL
If you have a paying job, take your paycheck, look at your paystub, add up all the local, state, and federal taxes taken out of your paycheck, divide that by your gross pay and that is the percentage taken from you by the government. That's what I did to come up with the roughly 20% taken from me, not including sales taxes and fees tacked on to cell phone, home phone, internet, and cable/satellite TV services. You can either blindly believe the reporter or you can do your own research with your own paycheck, if you have one.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Yes how convenient that the editors didn't go back to 1861 for the first US income tax....could catch Frank.....I wish we could all go back to 1861....the good ol days!.....LOL

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes how convenient that the editors didn't go back to 1861 for the first US income tax....could catch Frank.....I wish we could all go back to 1861....the good ol days!.....LOL
I don't kid myself, many of your ilk believe history started with Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies