Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree and anything to promote a nation of one people is ok with me. They dont' seem to scream about a lack of Asian/American studies, but then these immigrants seem to assimilate and avoid the victim status so popular today amongst some groups.
And you would be wrong. The Asian studies programs we see today are a direct result of the Pan-Asian APIA movement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Another misfortune signed by a governor who was not even elected to the position. Brewer has pretty much cost herself the governorship. Those Hispanic residents who sat on the sidelines are going to the polls in huge numbers this November and are going to suprise a lot of politicians like Brewer. They messed with the wrong people.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Another misfortune signed by a governor who was not even elected to the position. Brewer has pretty much cost herself the governorship. Those Hispanic residents who sat on the sidelines are going to the polls in huge numbers this November and are going to suprise a lot of politicians like Brewer. They messed with the wrong people.
It could be similar to what happened with Prop. 187 in California. Immediately after the new law passed, Pete Wilson (the Republican governor) won reelection and all of the Republicans convinced themselves that the Latino backlash had been an empty threat. It wasn't empty; it was just delayed a bit. Ever since that year, the only Republican to win statewide office has been Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he got in through the backdoor in a recall of Gray Davis.

I won't be surprised at all to see the same scenario play out in Arizona.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
This is all a part of the general white backlash in this country. I'm pretty sure that a reinstatement of Jim Crow-like laws are right around the corner. People better wake up.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First off, know that this is one of a very few posts I have made in Politics lately...I was actually getting physically stressed from reading some of the threads, and then not thinking through my responses when I posted them...

Secondly, I'm honored that one of the more prolific posters took the time to both comment and compliment me on my post...I especially liked your 2nd point about intraracial bigotry as practiced by blacks...my parents and grandparents used to tell me stories about this very silly practice...

Third, I also liked your thoughts on the whole ethnic studies issue, but I gotta ask you point-blank: should Arizona flat-out ban ethnic studies, or would you be more comfortable if they retooled the courses so they were closer to the ideas you expressed in your 4th point?

Finally, one of the funny things about City-Data, and life itself, is this---I've read a LOT of your 'stuff' here (especially in Politics) and I'll be honest...I haven't always agreed with you all the time...but I will NOT hesitate to give props to someone who has hit a particular nail on the head, politcs and race notwithstanding...I wish it could be that way all the time
I don't think they are banning ethnic studies, as in not including any curriculum that teaches students about all the immigrants and native Americans, their cultures and their contributions to the nation.

The text in the bill says:

THE LEGISLATURE FINDS AND DECLARES THAT PUBLIC SCHOOL PUPILS SHOULD BE TAUGHT TO TREAT AND VALUE EACH OTHER AS INDIVIDUALS AND NOT BE TAUGHT TO RESENT OR HATE OTHER RACES OR CLASSES OF PEOPLE.

IN ITS PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION ANY COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. PROMOTE THE OVERTHROW OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.
2. PROMOTE RESENTMENT TOWARD A RACE OR CLASS OF PEOPLE.
3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.
4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS INDIVIDUALS.

I can only assume that their was curriculum being taught that was teaching in a way that had the children feeling resentful and creating tensions between the different ethnic groups.

Being of Native American descent myself, i took a class about Native Americans, but the class turned into an ugly condemnation of whites. The teacher had the whites feeling ashamed for being white and the other children feeling saddened, resentful and then angry towards the white students. The class did exactly as some of the descriptions above.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The issue in part is how this thing will get enforced, especially with Horne (who is the one who pushed for the bill) as the current schools superintendent and running for AG (so will likely play a role in how this is enforced) seems like he wants all of these courses banned. These courses don't teach about overthrowing the government, they do touch on oppression and discrimination, but that is due to the fact it is a huge part of the history in this country to the way certain groups were treated and that shouldn't be ignored. It seems like Horne believes the bad stuff of the past should be swept under the rug and not be taught because it will lead to resentment. Thats simply a bunch of garbage, its part of history it should be taught.
Its all about the context and the way in which it is taught. Many cultures and ethnic groups have a history of injustices and wars that took place within the same race and ethnic groups, and waged internally. North America was not a peaceful place before the Europeans came here, but I have witnessed courses about the native people to north American and the only bad guys were the Europeans. I'll bet things were pretty horrific back in the day when people were first introduced to the Inca or Mayan civilizations, as they were conquered and/or subjugated by them.

My point is that if you dig deep enough, you will find a very dark place within the past of every culture. Even before the books of history were being written, people were war-like and ruled over each other by the use of brute force, and only otherwise with very rare and very brief exceptions. For example, if they were to teach European history, and the focus was on Hitler and the Nazi Party, the students would hate the German people.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law - latimes.com

Unreal. What's next? Are they going to ban foreign language classes too?
Proves beyond any doubt that Republicans/Conservatives , like Fascist, hate education ....another point on their attack on America and it's freedoms....vote out Republicans...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Revolutionary sprits...ie profesionals, educators...etc.

I dont hear anything about overthrowing the government. His speech is not appealing to me but I'm not going to judge him for his views when I dont hear any government threats.
dud I am from chihuahua mexico and this man is a lunatic he belongs in a crazy home.the fact that he totaly agrees with chavez,fidel castro.hates capitalist.what else do you think he wants.here is a clue, communism.those threats are not aim at the government. our government already believe in communism.those threats are against the american people, the capitalist.the inperialist as he calls them. this lunatic has the same view of americans as those lunatics from the middle east.If he is not a terrorist he will be soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies