Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Then why would they feel the need to pass this piece of legislation?

None of your claims are in the bill. Why do you feel threatened?

Good question..Why would they pass a law that corrects or changes nothing? I said in another post that this may be a veiled attempt to suck up to the fringe right. I'm not threatened, I don't live in Arizona and never will. Legislating education based on ethnicity is wrong in every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure they oppose it but they also didn't give any comment on their job to defend our borders. If the Fed did their job then AZ wouldn't have to pass that bill like they did.
This problem has been manifesting itself for decades, ignored by multiple administrations and congresses. Passing an impractical state law doesn't help the situation, it simply infringes on the rights of legal Americans. People in Arizona should have fired John McCain years ago for not fighting for comprehensive immigration reform. Papers please is not reform.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Good question..Why would they pass a law that corrects or changes nothing? I said in another post that this may be a veiled attempt to suck up to the fringe right. I'm not threatened, I don't live in Arizona and never will. Legislating education based on ethnicity is wrong in every way.
The way I read it, it legislates how NOT to base education on ethnicity.
It looks very unbiased to me.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
You should read up on the La Raza classes being taught in Tucson - this is what this new law stems from ..... it's been an ongoing controversy out here for at least 3 years ....... there was a lot of obstructionism in even obtaining the curriculum for review

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no AZ did not do that. mexican people did that when they crossed over w/o papers.

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Really? they're leaving? How many? What were there names? Have you talked to them? How'd they get out? LOL.
Don't you know what happened in Luzerne County, Pa a few years ago? The Mayor of Hazelton decided it was time to crack down on illegals and shops were shut down and abandoned - overnight. Landlords were left scratching their heads as to why they had a tenant one day and none the next....probably all fled to Arizona.

A lot (enough to make a dent...not just one mami and papi and 15 kids) picked the hell up and ran. Out of the country? I doubt it. Just ran to another county in PA or another state in the US where no one else would have the BALLS to send them back where they came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
The way I read it, it legislates how NOT to base education on ethnicity.
It looks very unbiased to me.
How do you not base certain aspects of education on ethnicity when you are specifically educating children in regards to that ethnicity? What is wrong with learning about the history of people you will be sharing your life with? That is what education is all about. It is a reason they used the word "ethnic"..No non-ethnic study would be effected by this law. Politicians in Arizona are basically trying to craft a 1950s image of America through the legislation of education. Ethnic studies weren't are part of education back then and that's what they seem to want to return to.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Don't you know what happened in Luzerne County, Pa a few years ago? The Mayor of Hazelton decided it was time to crack down on illegals and shops were shut down and abandoned - overnight. Landlords were left scratching their heads as to why they had a tenant one day and none the next....probably all fled to Arizona.

A lot (enough to make a dent...not just one mami and papi and 15 kids) picked the hell up and ran. Out of the country? I doubt it. Just ran to another county in PA or another state in the US where no one else would have the BALLS to send them back where they came from.
PA does not border Mexico and the state of Arizona is a lot larger than Luzerne County, PA or the city of Hazelton. These two are in no way similar.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
Quote:
How do you not base certain aspects of education on ethnicity when you are specifically educating children in regards to that ethnicity? What is wrong with learning about the history of people you will be sharing your life with? That is what education is all about. It is a reason they used the word "ethnic"..No non-ethnic study would be effected by this law. Politicians in Arizona are basically trying to craft a 1950s image of America through the legislation of education. Ethnic studies weren't are part of education back then and that's what they seem to want to return to.
Like a poster said, earlier, "Ethnic Studies" is just fine as a college elective.
It doesn't belong in primary school curriculum.
You can teach American and World History without coloring it to suit the most recent PC trends.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
ethnic studies are not being eliminated

there are still going to be entire ethnic study departments within school districts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies