Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times

Advertisements

In U.S., Broad, Steady Support for Openly Gay Service Members

"A large majority of Americans (70%) continue to favor allowing openly gay men and women to serve in the military, with continued majority support from every key demographic subgroup."

"The latest results are from a Gallup poll conducted May 3-6, 2010. They are particularly relevant in light of President Barack Obama's nomination Monday of U.S. Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court. Kagan has opposed the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, in 2003 calling it "a moral injustice of the first order."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
As long as the top military advisers are telling Obama they don't think openly gay people in the military is a good idea, he is doing the right thing by listening to them. I know that libs think this is something to be decided by popular vote, but some decisions are best left to those who are qualified to make them.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
As long as the top military advisers are telling Obama they don't think openly gay people in the military is a good idea, he is doing the right thing by listening to them. I know that libs think this is something to be decided by popular vote, but some decisions are best left to those who are qualified to make them.
I would hope that 70% of the American people have more pull than a few military advisers stuck in the 50s.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:12 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I would hope that 70% of the American people have more pull than a few military advisers stuck in the 50s.
Yeah what would the military know about it's own culture.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
It'll eventually happen.

It just depends on how long people want to hold down progress

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM

683 posts, read 428,696 times
Wasn't this one of Obama's campaign promises, to end DADT?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
That is one of the most unenlightened and ignorant statements I have ever seen in this forum......and half of what is said here is little more than mean-spirited garbage. If you think that 70% of the people in this country know more than career military officers who have made it to the top of their career paths, then there is no hope for you.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Except every major military adviser has gone on record saying it doesn't work, it is unjust and unfair and should be repealed. From the Secretary of Defense to the Joint Chiefs of Staff on down.

It's just the retard republicans led by Johnny McCain who refuse to listen to them.

I know it's quite inconvenient to your small-minded, self-satisfied mentality, but de'Nile ain't a river in the heartland.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Except every major military adviser has gone on record saying it doesn't work, it is unjust and unfair and should be repealed. From the Secretary of Defense to the Joint Chiefs of Staff on down.

It's just the retard republicans led by Johnny McCain who refuse to listen to them.

I know it's quite inconvenient to your small-minded, self-satisfied mentality, but de'Nile ain't a river in the heartland.
Like I said:

Quote:
half of what is said here is little more than mean-spirited garbage.
And, I didn't know John McCain had any influence at all on POTUS decisions.

This is not a matter to be decided by public vote. If Obama is delaying a decision on this matter because of advice from his military advisers, then that is one thing he is doing right. I should hope he would listen to them instead than the rabble-at-large.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
That is one of the most unenlightened and ignorant statements I have ever seen in this forum......and half of what is said here is little more than mean-spirited garbage. If you think that 70% of the people in this country know more than career military officers who have made it to the top of their career paths, then there is no hope for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Mr. Chairman, speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do. No matter how I look at the issue, I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens.

For me, personally, it comes down to integrity--theirs as individuals and ours as an institution.

I also believe that the great young men and women of our military can and would accommodate such a change. I never underestimate their ability to adapt.
Admiral Mike Mullen on Don't Ask, Don't Tell | The Atlantic Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies