Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Or as in most cases, have a bunch of morons, in your city's leadership, who don't give a darn. Which does happen a lot, more often then not.
I blame it on the fact that, in these times of a very angry public, only the morons seek city leadership roles. My own experience is with a small Texas Texas south High Plains town that hasn't grown in forty years who built a 1.4 million dollar swimming pool for the non tax-paying portion of its citizenry in the middle of the worse recession in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I have always felt that we can't totally halt such things, and that the new "sterile same old clone meisters" should be built out and away from the nice old classy vintage charm found in so many American towns. Starbucks used to be fairly low key, and bearable at first, but they went for the Yuppie steroids, multiplied like wildfire, and charged way too much for their coffee, and sugar bomb pastries. Personally, I prefer the old diners. Call me an antique. I don't mind. I know what quality is, and I am paying for it. I won't even take a free starbucks coffee. It's amazing how zoning committees can condemn a beautiful old building as an eyesore (when it really isn't) one week, and hail it as a "treasure" the next week when grant money comes in from Uncle Sam. I cringe when I see a circle K replacing an old Victorian mansion. It isn't just the yuppies who mangle things.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Europe seems to manage quite well with a balance between the modern world and their historic centers. We could learn something from them.

Then again, there really isn't urban sprawl in Europe. People live in their cities and it's more of an apartment style environment rather than houses.

That said, I live in an house in a suburb in Europe, but it's not the norm.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
White yuppies no, overall American greed, yes. TP is cheaper in walmart. Chile's got flatscreens and free wings and 2 for 1 drafts on Thursdays. Why go to mom and pop when you can have that? We're creatures and a country of habit and we habitually look for what's cheap and easy.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It seems like every major city in which there were once ethnic history and culture, white yuppies move in and ZAP the culture right out and the areas become very sterile. No longer do you have the Italian deli or Polish butcher, you have Jamba juice and Starbucks and some franchise chain store.......

It's so dry and bland.
What's the matter? You don't like two Star Bucks right across the street from one another, a Borders, Barnes n Nobles and the generic sushi joint smack dab in the middle of it all?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
This is why I love Manhattan where you can travel the globe in an 8 block walk. Chain restaurants only get love from the tourists who don't know any better and there aren't outside of fast food joints.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It seems like every major city in which there were once ethnic history and culture, white yuppies move in and ZAP the culture right out and the areas become very sterile. No longer do you have the Italian deli or Polish butcher, you have Jamba juice and Starbucks and some franchise chain store.......

It's so dry and bland.
whats a white yuppy? a hippy?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What's the matter? You don't like two Star Bucks right across the street from one another, a Borders, Barnes n Nobles and the generic sushi joint smack dab in the middle of it all?

lol terrible

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
well..what would Chinese yuppoes, and black yuppies do ? Just wondering, since we are on a creative roll here, for urban living. It saddens me to see the Atomic architecture being demolished, and to many, it was considered ugly back when it was new, but I find current modern buildings to be very bland for the most part. They go up over night, seemingly. Google Googie/ Atomic architecture. It was at least interesting, and colorful.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM

94 posts, read 69,672 times
I don't know, where I live is still majority Black and the crime rate is quite high as there are many violent crimes and murders committed by Blacks and the projects are nearby.

However, there are a lot of very cool historic homes which were trashed and unkept when the area was majority Black but Whites started moving back in the 90s and early 2000s and took those old homes and started revamping them and making the area look great again. It's part of Nashville called Germantown and it is not home to Starbucks and Jamba Juice but many small local independent businesses and it's doing great.

Here are some pics:
Germantown? on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/megangoodchild/1463278551/ - broken link)
Germantown - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tandemracer/sets/72157594386568975/ - broken link)
Germantown New Year's Eve on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheilas-shots/2154313763/ - broken link)

What was literally an urban ghetto was transformed into a nice area filled with small shops, historic restored homes, and yuppies brought that back in. Areas like Germantown in Nashville are being revitalized from a crime-filled ghetto with little going for it but project homes to a culturally-vibrant neighborhood filled with local shops and restaurants.

There's two sides to every issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies