Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't ahte NYC ;I just don't think its that important to most people really.It has little to do with most peoples evryday life really.
It's still the cultural and economic capital of America even though it's not the political capital, and for better or worse is the most important city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I agree with Texdav. I don't care enough about NYC to say I hate or love it. Until I see some goofy thread like this, I think about NYC about as often as I think about perspiring or my heartbeat.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
These same conservatives that hate or don't care about NYC forget where Faux News is based.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
New York has lots of things that Republicans hate. They have subways and trains which Republicans hate. They have immigrants that Republicans hate. They have homosexuals which Republicans hate. They have artsy fartsy stuff like orchestras and Broadway that Republicans hate.
They have fewer things Republicans love. Few KKK members, not so many pick up trucks and until recently no country and western radio station.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM

402 posts, read 852,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
New York has lots of things that Republicans hate. They have subways and trains which Republicans hate. They have immigrants that Republicans hate. They have homosexuals which Republicans hate. They have artsy fartsy stuff like orchestras and Broadway that Republicans hate.
They have fewer things Republicans love. Few KKK members, not so many pick up trucks and until recently no country and western radio station.
Are you serious? What Republican hates subways and trains? What Republican hates immigrants? What Republican hates homosexuals? What Republican hates the arts? This sounds more like a bigot than a Republican.

As a Republican living in New York City, it would hardly be fair to say I hate New York. It's the greatest city in the world, no place like it. Between taxes, cost of living, and nanny state laws, New York is not the easiest place in the world to live, but I don't hate New York. As the t-shirts say "I Love New York". You can disagree with the politicians and still like a place. Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, the National Review, Fox News, Bill O'Reilly, John Stossel as well as many other conservatives/conservative organizations are all based here. It's easy to see why conservatives disagree with New York's anti-growth, high tax system, but there are plenty of conservatives here in this city. Staten Island votes Republican, by the way.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM

[quote=nva79;15211269]Are you serious? What Republican hates subways and trains? What Republican hates immigrants? What Republican hates homosexuals? What Republican hates the arts? This sounds more like a bigot than a Republican.

question 1: usually means higher taxes and more government spending (even if it helps out most people).....

question 2: You can't be serious with that? I don't see them going after the Russian illegals, who are probably more vicious, maybe since they don't have brown skin....surely some Republicans do take it as strictly an immigration issue, however, outfits like Stormfront and the Tea Party ruin that for you.

question 3. GWB trying to amend the CONSTITUTION just so gays couldn't legally marry?

question 4. More government "waste", but if it's a war (except if it's thought of or started by a Democrat), they'll say "go for it".

Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 PM

402 posts, read 852,774 times
Default Riding on the Metro

[quote=beenhereandthere;15212518]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
Are you serious? What Republican hates subways and trains? What Republican hates immigrants? What Republican hates homosexuals? What Republican hates the arts? This sounds more like a bigot than a Republican.

question 1: usually means higher taxes and more government spending (even if it helps out most people).....

question 2: You can't be serious with that? I don't see them going after the Russian illegals, who are probably more vicious, maybe since they don't have brown skin....surely some Republicans do take it as strictly an immigration issue, however, outfits like Stormfront and the Tea Party ruin that for you.

question 3. GWB trying to amend the CONSTITUTION just so gays couldn't legally marry?

question 4. More government "waste", but if it's a war (except if it's thought of or started by a Democrat), they'll say "go for it".
1) Except for the most hard core libertarians, most conservatives agree that public transportation can generally not be funded by the private sector to make a profit but is still necessary in places like New York.

2) I don't know a single conservative who dislikes immigrants. I know conservatives that push for a secure border, but that is not anti-immigrant. Conservatives don't care if you come from Russia or Mexico, as long as you're here legally, that's okay. If you're here legally, that's not.

3) Yet again, President Bush wasn't a true conservative. But I digress. I don't support gay marriage. I don't have any animosity towards the gay community, however. My view of you isn't really affected by your sexuality. And yet again, I don't know a single conservative who hates homosexuals.

4) Many conservatives do oppose government intervention in non-necessary conflicts. It's not fair to paint all conservatives as neocons. But I digress. That's not being anti-arts to oppose government funding for the arts. Many conservatives are big patrons of the arts and enjoy them. It would be like saying if you don't think the government should fund pizza parlors you must hate pizza. Not the same thing, but the same idea. Also, plenty of conservatives support government funded arts programs.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM

[quote=nva79;15212837][quote=beenhereandthere;15212518]

2) I don't know a single conservative who dislikes immigrants. I know conservatives that push for a secure border, but that is not anti-immigrant. Conservatives don't care if you come from Russia or Mexico, as long as you're here legally, that's okay. If you're here legally, that's not.

Maybe because of where you live, that's why you don't know of one (unless you mean personally).
Again, though, too many groups like Stormfront and the American Colalition for Conservative Citizens....
don't do conservatives any favors.

Also, plenty of conservatives support government funded arts programs.

If that's true, they why do many of them hate and want to get rid of NPR?
Most people who like the arts, see the value of NPR (which is, in an indirect way, based on a lot of their programs, the arts).

Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
What a strange topic. You dont think any Repubs are making money in NYC? You would be 100% wrong. They love money just as Liberals do.
The difference is the Republicans love making it, the Liberals love redistributing it.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

Guess you don't recall DOMA signed into law by Clinton. Look it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies