Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the purpose of this post..it makes absolutely no sense at all...I guess the OP is a bigot..that is the only possible explanation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
By the way for all you people making the burka comments, she's Lebanese, not Saudi, Iraqui, Iranian, or Pakistani. Lebanon is more westernized than those "other" muslim nations. They're closer to Turkey in the way they treat women and social customs.
That's right. She is a Shiite muslim, like the Iranians, and they tend to be less conservative than the Sunni muslims (Iraq, Saudi, etc)

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
I think this proves that many on the right are not happy with the results of this pageant. I am not the bit least surprised.
Neither am I. Check out of some of these comments, calling her "Miss Hezbollah" and so forth, made over in FReeperville:

From 51 to 1: 2010 Miss USA Crowned in Las Vegas [Winner Says Health Insurance For "Birth Control"]

Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
A black President, a female Secretary of State, a lesbian Supreme court justice, and now an Arab Miss USA.

Arab-American from Michigan crowned 2010 Miss USA - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/16/1949333/miss-usa-hopefuls-take-stage-in.html#ixzz0o9LTmBM - broken link)

Seriously? Really? Seriously? Come on now, I would think most people here in the US understand that the only people that are going to get upset over her being on tv, much less being crowned are Muslim Fundamentalists. You do know that most Arab countries DO NOT ALLOW WOMEN TO SHOW THEMSELVES(show skin) IN PUBLIC. You knew that right? Ever hear of a burqua? Ever read about Saubi Arabia and their strict laws towards women. How about Iran? How about the Taliban ruling parties in Afganistan and Pakistan? Ever hear or read about what they do to women who show themselves(in their opinion)? How about women who get raped? Do you know what happens to them in alot of cases? Please read more on the subject matter at hand, before you make comments or posts like this one. Remember, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

BTW....The young lady who was crowned is BEAUTIFUL and has a good head on her shoulders from what I have read about her.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
IYou have to agree that those were some real gaffes, and the left would have destroyed Carrie Prejean if she had made them.
I didn't see anything controversial in her comments. Besides Carrie Prejean was destroyed by FOX News and the "conservative" talk show hosts who dragged her on the spotlight which ended up exposing her dirty secrets. If it wasn't for them, the gay judge reaction would have been ignored and she would have kept her crown. But no, they had to cling to it, and turn it into a national topic. Same thing happened with Joe the plumber, when McCain dragged him into the spotlight to use him in his campaign and his dirty laundry was exposed in the process. To this day he cursed McCain's name. Unintended consequences for sure, but they should ask before using people like that.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Seriously? Really? Seriously? Come on now, I would think most people here in the US understand that the only people that are going to get upset over her being on tv, much less being crowned are Muslim Fundamentalists. You do know that most Arab countries DO NOT ALLOW WOMEN TO SHOW THEMSELVES(show skin) IN PUBLIC. You knew that right? Ever hear of a burqua? Ever read about Saubi Arabia and their strict laws towards women. How about Iran? How about the Taliban ruling parties in Afganistan and Pakistan? Ever hear or read about what they do to women who show themselves(in their opinion)? How about women who get raped? Do you know what happens to them in alot of cases? Please read more on the subject matter at hand, before you make comments or posts like this one. Remember, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

BTW....The young lady who was crowned is BEAUTIFUL and has a good head on her shoulders from what I have read about her.
Saudi Arabia and Lebanon are two completely differnt places. And Taleban has nothign to do with the Shiites either. As a matter of fact the Shiites and the Taleban are enemies. Women in Iran do not wear burqas, and neither do the ones in Lebanon. There are HUGE differences between these countries and people like you often make the mistake of lumping them all into one group as if they all lived in one country and followed the same laws. Lebanon is not a strict fundamentalist muslim country like Saudi Arabia. As a matter of fact less than 60% of Lebanese are even muslims.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Saudi Arabia and Lebanon are two completely differnt places. And Taleban has nothign to do with the Shiites either. As a matter of fact the Shiites and the Taleban are enemies. Women in Iran do not wear burqas, and neither do the ones in Lebanon. There are HUGE differences between these countries and people like you often make the mistake of lumping them all into one group as if they all lived in one country and followed the same laws. Lebanon is not a strict fundamentalist muslim country like Saudi Arabia. As a matter of fact less than 60% of Lebanese are even muslims.
What is the title of this post? The Op makes it a point to try and demean The Tea Party members. Right? Correct? I was simply pointing out that the only members of any political or religious party being offended would be Muslim Fundamentalists. I know what the differences are and yes Iranian women do wear burquas. A friend(Iranian) from high school(still friends) immigrated over here, as did he family to ESCAPE the laws towards women and the general oppression as set forth by their goverment. My wife's best friend is from Tikrit, Iraq and also has told us of the Religious Laws that many practice that bars women from showing themselves in public. Sorry dude, I will believe women from those countries way before I believe anything you have to say. I'm not saying EVERY single women wears a burqua, I never did.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
Quote:
What is the title of this post? The Op makes it a point to try and demean The Tea Party members. Right? Correct? I was simply pointing out that the only members of any political or religious party being offended would be Muslim Fundamentalists.
Tea Party members have not expressed anger or dissapproval of the choice for Miss USA? Malkin? What is she? The far right wing Christian fundamentalists are not offended by scantily clad women in public? Really?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
What is the title of this post? The Op makes it a point to try and demean The Tea Party members. Right? Correct? I was simply pointing out that the only members of any political or religious party being offended would be Muslim Fundamentalists. I know what the differences are and yes Iranian women do wear burquas. A friend(Iranian) from high school(still friends) immigrated over here, as did he family to ESCAPE the laws towards women and the general oppression as set forth by their goverment. My wife's best friend is from Tikrit, Iraq and also has told us of the Religious Laws that many practice that bars women from showing themselves in public. Sorry dude, I will believe women from those countries way before I believe anything you have to say. I'm not saying EVERY single women wears a burqua, I never did.
Didn't you encourage people to read because knowledge is power? It didn't take you long to break your own rule. I don't know how long ago your friend was last in iran, but most Iranian women wear loose head scarf with the face exposed. Other Muslim countries critisize them because the Iranian women do not abide in the law. Yes, like in any muslim country the police could do something about it but they don't, unless they want to harrass them for some other reason.

This would be typical in iran (and Saudi Arabia below). I am not making this up.

And this is typical in Saudi Arabia

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Tea Party members have not expressed anger or dissapproval of the choice for Miss USA? Malkin? What is she? The far right wing Christian fundamentalists are not offended by scantily clad women in public? Really?

Yes, really....Is Malkin a Nation? Is she a Country? Does she represent an oppressive Religious Organization? Is she a Imam? A Pastor? Is she? Didn't think so, dude. What AMAZES me is that people like you seem to digress from the FACT that most Arab Countries SUCK when it comes to womens rights and are VERY OPPRESSIVE to them. America is not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies