Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

I don't go to doctors or hospitals. Don't believe in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't go to doctors or hospitals. Don't believe in them.
One less person to wait in line behind. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,581 times
I simply don't believe the OP. People say all kinds of stuff on the net when they are looking for attention.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thanks. So the census dosent really determine how many police officers my community can hire and my community does not receive federal funding for hiring of new officers, but if there were by chance some type of program thru the police dept. that provided some sort of benefits the number of people determined by the census would be taken into account to determine how much federal or matching funds would be available for said project.

It doesn't directly account for the number of police your community can hire. However with federal funds and funding from the DoJ for certain community police "projects" like SWAT or Dept of Homeland Security funding/training, community outreach programs like neighborhood watch & other community programs, the census IS directly referred to and taken into consideration.

It's kind of a two edged sword, because w/out it there would be no way to accurately or even quantitatively attempt to justify the requirement for additional federal funds.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
I'm terrified when I have an RPG rocket fly past my head, or get ambushed after I hit an IED. I'm not terrified by census workers, just annoyed. You're like a knat. Did it ever occur to you that when you don't get an answer the resident may be in the shower, having sex, listening to headohones or may not even be there? If they don't want to talk to you, how many freaking times does it take for you to get the hint to get the f*ck out?

Does that kind of thing happen in your area of Texas?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:13 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's right. I don't use any of those services. I set the smoke detector off most of the time I cook.
Of course you do, whether you realize it or not.

You drive or walk on the roads, which are patrolled by the police; all users of the roads, yourself included, are made safer by the fact that police are there to enforce the traffic laws.

You live in a society in which the provision of police services reduces your susceptibility to violent and nonviolent crime, both in your home, in public, and in private places.

You live in a community in which your exposure to the risk of fire is reduced, whether you are at home or somewhere else, due to the fire department.

You are able to enter into advantageous voluntary transactions in part because of the stability provided by the court and law enforcement systems. The cost to you of these transactions is reduced because the public services provided by the state reduce the risks that you and all other participants in the markets are faced with.

You partake in public services made possible in large part by the work of people who received their education in the public schools.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I took the census in 2000, thought it was my civic duty...

I swore I would NEVER take census again because of the psycho "anti-government paranoid" types.

The day I had a psycho taunt me with a snarling dog who leaped at me was the last day I took census.

I hope and pray that never happens to me.............for the dog's sake.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,001 times
Heard on the radio today that there are some issues of private information being made public. Identity theft? There's even a hotline for people to call if they're having problems since the census. Can't remember which state, though. Maybe Pennsyvania.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Wait....someone nearly let their dog attack you so you now you don't fill out a form? Does he guard the mailbox? Otherwise, I don't understand the connection.
I was a census enumerator. It's ok if you didn't understand, the person who I was posting to understood exactly what I was talking about.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I hope and pray that never happens to me.............for the dog's sake.
I hope it never happens to you too. I only had a week more to go on my assignment. I couldn't stick it out. I did meet some interesting people and most were friendly, I was surprised at how many little old ladies are holed up in their dark homes alone and afraid to open their door. That was kinda depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies