Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Ever since it was confirmed in ScientificAmerican that the US census bureau used census data to round up Japanese Americans, it's perfectly understandable that many people would refuse to participate. It's the cheapest way towards civil disobedience with a minuscule $100 price tag for refusing to send in the data.
Civil disobedience? rotflmao

The combination of self-righteousness and petty bravado that characterizes most of the anti-census sentiment reminds me of a quote from Jonah Goldberg:

"You can correctly call yourself a dissident because you like to kick puppies, but at the end of the day, you're just a jerk who likes to kick puppies."

As far as the crocodile tears over the injustice to Japanese-Americans in 1942, I notice that they rarely if ever come from people who are remotely critical of the war that occasioned it--and the role our own country played in making it inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't go to doctors or hospitals. Don't believe in them.
Good. I always love to see evolution happen in real time.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Again you realize the census has been around for 220 years.....

Yes it has been and over time it has changed into a powerful tool to expand government power and fund programs based on WHAT?

Are you saying if a state has more people who own then rent what happens? This is based on questions in the census and those questions are suppose to "help your state". What BUSINESS does government have in TAX dollars to fund anything when it comes to peoples living rent or own STATUS. Where does the federal government in the constitution have authority to give tax dollars based on housing status. Nobody asks would that money be better served if the tax was never taken and in the hands of the people they taxed in the first place. Also to take it every 10 years and spend the 400 billion seems like a waste considering in 10 years the money you spent into a program for that state and data might have changed within the next year. Government will push to ask more questions when you comply. It is not the right of the people to disagree with the questions when do you stand up and ask what your government is doing and why it is doing it. In a time when we are at war, broke and government is out of control.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Heard this while traveling through Southern California - I cannot vouch for its accurateness or authenticity:

Some guy in Southern Cal (around Alpine) does not like nor believe in the Census - did not return the census form. Census worker came to his door. He told the worker to leave - and after some haggling, the Census worker left.

The Guy then goes about posting his property, specifically for the Census Bureau; "Census workers not allowed on property. If Census workers enter property, you will be trespassing".

Well, another census worker came and knocked on the door - only this time, a neighbor of this guy, a Deputy Sheriff, came up from behind the Census worker, and asked him "Did you see the sign" - Yes, he did.

The Deputy then arrested him for Trespassing. Took him away and booked him.

I'm going to have to try to follow up on this since the idea of arresting a Census worker makes me happy inside.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Its just 10 simple questions. The govt wont fine or arrest you if you dont fill out your census. They havent done it to anyone yet.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Heard this while traveling through Southern California - I cannot vouch for its accurateness or authenticity:

Some guy in Southern Cal (around Alpine) does not like nor believe in the Census - did not return the census form. Census worker came to his door. He told the worker to leave - and after some haggling, the Census worker left.

The Guy then goes about posting his property, specifically for the Census Bureau; "Census workers not allowed on property. If Census workers enter property, you will be trespassing".

Well, another census worker came and knocked on the door - only this time, a neighbor of this guy, a Deputy Sheriff, came up from behind the Census worker, and asked him "Did you see the sign" - Yes, he did.

The Deputy then arrested him for Trespassing. Took him away and booked him.

I'm going to have to try to follow up on this since the idea of arresting a Census worker makes me happy inside.
The deputy must be barney fife. What a idiot!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The deputy must be barney fife. What a idiot!
Idiot? Hardly.

The property evidently was noticed

The Census worker from what I heard was / could be the idiot.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Idiot? Hardly.

The property evidently was noticed

The Census worker from what I heard was / could be the idiot.
The census worker was just doing his job. The cop just had to show off to his neighbor. Look neighbor...i have a badge & gun. Yawnz......

Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The census worker was just doing his job. The cop just had to show off to his neighbor. Look neighbor...i have a badge & gun. Yawnz......
The census worker was trespassing.

We have a basic legal right to determine who can and who cannot, "use" - come on our property.

And from what I was hearing, it appeared that is what was happening.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
The same people who yell about "illegals" seem to take great pride in doing illegal things themselves. It is illegal to refuse to answer the census questions. Now let's see. For whom do I have the most respect? Someone who, at great personal risk, crosses the border to feed and clothe their children or someone who, for no good reason whatsoever, shows their "manhood" by refusing to answer 10 simple questions. They may both be "illegal" but I know which one I would consider a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies