Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM

317 posts, read 404,734 times

Advertisements

"Kansas and Missouri hold hundreds of sex predators in civil confinement years after their original prison sentences have been served.
On Monday, a U.S. Supreme Court ruling involving a Lakin, Kan., grade school counselor affirmed that the Justice Department can do the same with some of its inmates"

I have no problem with giving child molesters 30 year sentences, I do have a problem with doling out sentence and later saying, guess what, we added more years to it. WTF? Is this even Constitutional?. Only 2 justices dissented, Thomas and Scalia. Not a big fan of those two, but they made the right decision.

U.S. can indefinitely hold sex offenders, Supreme Court rules - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/17/1952814/us-can-indefinitely-hold-sex-offenders.html#ixzz0oG0Q4Yjr - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
"Kansas and Missouri hold hundreds of sex predators in civil confinement years after their original prison sentences have been served.
On Monday, a U.S. Supreme Court ruling involving a Lakin, Kan., grade school counselor affirmed that the Justice Department can do the same with some of its inmates"

I have no problem with giving child molesters 30 year sentences, I do have a problem with doling out sentence and later saying, guess what, we added more years to it. WTF? Is this even Constitutional?. Only 2 justices dissented, Thomas and Scalia. Not a big fan of those two, but they made the right decision.

U.S. can indefinitely hold sex offenders, Supreme Court rules - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/17/1952814/us-can-indefinitely-hold-sex-offenders.html#ixzz0oG0Q4Yjr - broken link)
Unfortunately this is a logical extention of the Patriot Act and Military Commissions Act. Once that level of abuse of power takes place eventually it'll hit home.

I've agreed with Scalia and Thomas before, on Kelo v. New London and on Madsen v. Women's Health Center (the case that established the constitutionality of "free speech zones", in which Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy dissented - the majority was composed of Rehnquist, O'Connor, Souter, Blackmun, and Ginsburg. Unfortunately the court's liberals saw the case as being an abortion case not a first amendment case which is probably why they ruled as they did.) I agreed with Thomas on Gonzales v. Raich (in which he dissented along with Rehnquist and O'Connor). So it does happen.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM

7 posts, read 10,326 times
Interesting. I had heard of many people voluntarily entering civil confinement after being released from jail and would imagine it's illegal to force them after they've "done their time."

My ideals tell me that's waaaay messed up, but on the other hand I'd rather not have pedophiles on the street.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM

317 posts, read 404,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojen1 View Post
Interesting. I had heard of many people voluntarily entering civil confinement after being released from jail and would imagine it's illegal to force them after they've "done their time."

My ideals tell me that's waaaay messed up, but on the other hand I'd rather not have pedophiles on the street.
Why not give pedophiles a mandatory 50 year sentence with no parole? Just make the sentences harsher. If they can do it to the perverts who is next? Terrorists? Insurgents? Drug dealers? Drug users?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Why not give pedophiles a mandatory 50 year sentence with no parole? Just make the sentences harsher. If they can do it to the perverts who is next? Terrorists? Insurgents? Drug dealers? Drug users?
Tea party members?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Quote:
Is this even Constitutional?.
I would think that an 8 to 2 decision makes it rather Constitutional, and certainly in line with O'Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563 (1975).

Quote:
Only 2 justices dissented, Thomas and Scalia. Not a big fan of those two, but they made the right decision.
Did you read their reasoning? I found it exceedingly suspect, considering their objections could theoretically apply to any Federal criminal statute outside of treason.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
As much as I dislike the idea of holding people beyond their sentence, I understand it in this case.

Its a fact, no doubt about it, that some child molesters will do the same thing again if given the chance. I don't think that they should be kept in prison, but some kind of extremely low minimum security facility, where they are tracked, and kept far, far away from children yes.

Its a mental disorder, and there is no cure for it. We don't let mentally ill people out of mental facilities, when they are a threat to the general population. This falls under the same situation, in my opinion.

I think its cruel and unusual to keep them locked up in prison though. Child molesters face death, rape, and hate in prisons on a daily basis. Keeping them there forever, isn't keeping with our standards of justice in our country.

My only fear, is that something like this could be extended to other, not so clearly defined threats to the public. We need strong legislation in place to keep that from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies