Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times

Advertisements

I guess the 1st Amendment means nothing to some people, including some that claim to love this county and what it stands for. I can't seem to find the section in my copy of the bill of rights that allows some religions to be treated differently than others. I think I need the new and improved, less rights - same great taste, right wing fear mongering, revised edition of our Constitution.

Why do I think that the same people would be singing a different tune if the rhetoric involved a Christian church? It also puts the whole war on Christmas crap into proper perspective. A lot of the same posters calling for government action to prevent a mosque from being built throw a hissy fit every year when the Jewish cashier at a Bed, Bath & Beyond fails to wish them a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Sco; 05-18-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM

269 posts, read 295,896 times
While I don't think that one should simply bar somebody for building somewhere because of their religion, I think that whoever decided this should be aware of the potential backlash that could result from this. More than likely they bought the area because it was cheap (well, cheap for NYC), but they could be using this controversy to gain more national attention.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There were those, too, although I wouldn't say it was "more". And I bet some of them were the same people on both sides.

Nevertheless, condeming all of one group for the actions of some of that group just isn't right.

I am wondering--those of you who are strongly anti-Muslim--how do you handle it with the Muslim people you know at work, or who live in your town, or whom you see every day going about your business? Do you go on the assumption that they are the "enemy", or do you assume they are not? Do you get to know them/speak with them as individuals, ignore them, what?
I am very anti muslim. I simply ignore them. Avoid them if I can.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Anyone who doesn't like a mosque built there, doesn't love the constitution on the United States!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I am very anti muslim. I simply ignore them. Avoid them if I can.
+1 for Muslims.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
They can plan anything they want, but can they get a building permit? To Hell with Islam!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 PM

201 posts, read 235,702 times
other than religion being stupid, if they purchased the lot, they can build whatever they want and do whatever they want in there within the law. or did someone repeal that religious freedom and freeload from taxes thing while I was taking a nap?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Actually, the city could act by changing zoning for certain areas to not include places of worship.
Just for the religions we deem as "bad" right?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,581 times
Ya gotta love some of the "conservatives" on this forum - picking and choosing what parts of the Constitution to fuss about and which parts to ignore - tailoring it to their extremist agenda. We see through the walls of your glass house, folks. Not that I expect stating as much will change any of the extremely bizarre, illogical, fear-driven behavior that takes place on this forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Ya gotta love some of the "conservatives" on this forum - picking and choosing what parts of the Constitution to fuss about and which parts to ignore - tailoring it to their extremist agenda. We see through the walls of your glass house, folks. Not that I expect stating as much will change any of the extremely bizarre, illogical, fear-driven behavior that takes place on this forum.
The sad thing is that I don't think they are aware of their hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies